URGENT!!! URGENT!! Advise needed please!! TPLO Surgery on both knees...

OP
B

brittanync

Dec 9, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carl
Yes, the first two nights were very rough! Mainly because he couldn't get comfortable. Right now, it's getting to the point he's super restless. Prior to this, he was a very energetic dog. Laying around and resting is not him. We pulled out a few early Christmas presents (chew bones) to help with the boredom/depression while he lays there. He seems be walking on his own just fine, but it makes me extremely nervous that he'll hurt himself. But I'm sure I'm being over protected and he knows his limits. We start the range of motion exercises tomorrow, so we shall see out it goes! I'm sure he's not going to like them. We've been using frozen vegetables as well for icing! How long did you ice his legs? His post op papers said 3-5 days, but I feel like he would benefit longer, (even though he hates it). That's for the melatonin idea!!! I didn't even think about that!

OP
B

brittanync

Dec 9, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carl
Thanks for the advice! Last night, we pulled out some early Christmas gifts (chew bones) to cheer him up. Going from a very energetic dog to having to lay around and rest has been very hard for him. I'll have to try the stuffed kings! That's a great idea!

I know what you mean... We pulled the mattress from our spare room into our living room so we could all be together at night. He's slept in the same bed as us since we brought him home. It's going to be a long 8 weeks, but I know it'll be worth it. =)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, the first two nights were very rough! Mainly because he couldn't get comfortable. Right now, it's getting to the point he's super restless. Prior to this, he was a very energetic dog. Laying around and resting is not him. We pulled out a few early Christmas presents (chew bones) to help with the boredom/depression while he lays there. He seems be walking on his own just fine, but it makes me extremely nervous that he'll hurt himself. But I'm sure I'm being over protected and he knows his limits. We start the range of motion exercises tomorrow, so we shall see out it goes! I'm sure he's not going to like them. We've been using frozen vegetables as well for icing! How long did you ice his legs? His post op papers said 3-5 days, but I feel like he would benefit longer, (even though he hates it). That's for the melatonin idea!!! I didn't even think about that!

Get some raw marrow bones from you rbutcher or grocers freezer....they are grea tattention and energy getters

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

Hi Brittany, please stay diligent and limit activity...no jumping, climbing, running, etc. I am glad Carl is doing well in his recovery.

OP
B

brittanync

Dec 9, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carl
Again, thanks everyone for commenting!! I really appreciate it! We're almost 4 weeks out and Carl has been doing great! Better than I have imagined to be honest. He's starting to feel like his normal self, so it's been very hard keeping him for running, climbing, and jumping. I feel like a bad bully mom whenever I get on to him and remind him he can't do that stuff right now. I know he doesn't understand why it was ok before but not ok now. =( However, I know in the long run, this is what's best for him! He had his staples removed two weeks ago and both of his incisions are completely healed. Surprisingly, his hair is growing back quicker than I had anticipated after reading some of your posts. Unfortunately with that, comes extreme itching. I feel so bad for him because he tries his best to scratch it, but he just can not reach his backside. lol He's already on Apoquel and Zyrtec for his allergies, but I was wondering if anyone had any home remedy suggestions? I recently bought Burt's Bee Soothing Anti Itch Spray, so I'm hoping that will give him some relief.

Thanks, again!!

Busterboy

Sep 12, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster McLovin
Again, thanks everyone for commenting!! I really appreciate it! We're almost 4 weeks out and Carl has been doing great! Better than I have imagined to be honest. He's starting to feel like his normal self, so it's been very hard keeping him for running, climbing, and jumping. I feel like a bad bully mom whenever I get on to him and remind him he can't do that stuff right now. I know he doesn't understand why it was ok before but not ok now. =( However, I know in the long run, this is what's best for him! He had his staples removed two weeks ago and both of his incisions are completely healed. Surprisingly, his hair is growing back quicker than I had anticipated after reading some of your posts. Unfortunately with that, comes extreme itching. I feel so bad for him because he tries his best to scratch it, but he just can not reach his backside. lol He's already on Apoquel and Zyrtec for his allergies, but I was wondering if anyone had any home remedy suggestions? I recently bought Burt's Bee Soothing Anti Itch Spray, so I'm hoping that will give him some relief.

Thanks, again!!

Thanks for posting this. My 3 year old will be having both knees done in three days.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.