URGENT!!! URGENT!! Advise needed please!! TPLO Surgery on both knees...

brittanync

Dec 9, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carl
Hello,

My two year old English Bulldog, Carl, will be undergoing TPLO surgery on both legs TODAY. To be honest I'm a complete mess and one worried Momma! (Being 7 months pregnant doesn't help either with my emotions!) Other than him being nurtured, neither of us have any experience with surgery and recovery. Initially we thought, he would just be having surgery on his left knee, but after further testing at his consultation appointment, the surgeon recommended to have surgery on the other knee as well. With evident damage already, he said Carl wouldn't make it another 6 months, if that, before we would have to go through this process again. He said the recovery would be a little tougher in the beginning, but the benefit of having only one surgery and one recovery process will out-weigh everything.

Does anyone else have any experience with TPLO surgery?? Especially both knees at the same time. My husband and I want to make his recovery process as smooth as possible for him! Any advice will be greatly appreciate!!

Thank you!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't have any experience w/the TPLO surgery, but I will tag some members that do... hang in there we will be here for you!!!

OP
B

brittanync

Dec 9, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carl
Thank you soooo much!!!! I greatly appreciate any advice/personal experience!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I do not have any pehttp://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/tplo.htmrsonal experience with this surgery. I think [MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] can give you some advice,but in the meantime-and best of luck for your doggiehttp://-http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/tplo.htm

- - - Updated - - -

I do not have any experience with this surgery. I think [MENTION=11639]rjisaterp[/MENTION] can give you some advice,but in the meantime-and best of luck for your doggiehttp://-http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/tplo.htm

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=5594]corinne[/MENTION] Pesantes Re:above

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hello,

My two year old English Bulldog, Carl, will be undergoing TPLO surgery on both legs TODAY. To be honest I'm a complete mess and one worried Momma! (Being 7 months pregnant doesn't help either with my emotions!) Other than him being nurtured, neither of us have any experience with surgery and recovery. Initially we thought, he would just be having surgery on his left knee, but after further testing at his consultation appointment, the surgeon recommended to have surgery on the other knee as well. With evident damage already, he said Carl wouldn't make it another 6 months, if that, before we would have to go through this process again. He said the recovery would be a little tougher in the beginning, but the benefit of having only one surgery and one recovery process will out-weigh everything.

Does anyone else have any experience with TPLO surgery?? Especially both knees at the same time. My husband and I want to make his recovery process as smooth as possible for him! Any advice will be greatly appreciate!!

Thank you!

Good morning Brittany,
@Manydogs and @ddnene tagged me as I have gone through this three times with Jewel having 3.5 weeks left on this current post-op surgery. Two knees at a time I am not familiar with. I cannot fathom two knees at once...I can see one at a time. In that regard, Carl will need a whole bunch of support. If he cannot walk, you can make an improvised litter with a blanket to carry him to his usual potty place. Then we use a towel put under the belly basically straddling the puppy/bully to support the hind legs so the puppy can potty. we then use the blanket to carry the puppy back into the house.

The legs must not be used so no jumping, climbing, running, and walking (except to go potty) for 6 weeks. Then all the aforementioned applies except for walking short distances. You will receive discharge instructions.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to shoot me a question or post here at the forum as someone will chime in. By the way...Jewel had TPLO 8 weeks ago. She is doing well and is walking short distances working up to a mile....well I only walk as far as I can carry Jewel.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Carl, you and your family. If you have any other questions, please post and mention me or reply to this post.

Best regards,

Roger

OP
B

brittanync

Dec 9, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carl
Thanks so much for the advice! He's home and resting now! He can walk on both legs with the assistance of a sling. The surgeon told us to continue to assist him but every day just give him a little bit more pressure to place on them as he walks. Icing 7-10 minutes, three times a day for 3-5 days. Then next week, we will slowly start range of motion exercises. I'm glad your doggie has done great! Hopefully, Carl will follow.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Never have I heard of both knees done at the same time. Good luckk and hoping on full recovery.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Give it a few short weeks and you'll see a huge difference in him! Prayers for a swift, smooth recovery!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Thanks so much for the advice! He's home and resting now! He can walk on both legs with the assistance of a sling. The surgeon told us to continue to assist him but every day just give him a little bit more pressure to place on them as he walks. Icing 7-10 minutes, three times a day for 3-5 days. Then next week, we will slowly start range of motion exercises. I'm glad your doggie has done great! Hopefully, Carl will follow.

Yes indeed and in 12 weeks Carl will follow suit and heal well. Keeping my guys immobile is task and very important especially during the first 6 weeks and six more weeks to follow.

Brancholympia

Dec 4, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Branch, and Beethoven
My branch had double knee surgery at the age of 2. The first two nights were the toughest. He couldn't get comfortable and I had to add benedryl to his pain killer regime to help manage his pain. He was pooping and squatting and walking on his own the first night. We made him rest a lot and he absolutely hated the range of motion therapy we did. It was a battle. I did learn that frozen vegetables form better around the knee than an ice pack does. Your baby will be back to normal in no time. And also melatonin helps with the hair growth to return from the shaved legs.

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
Hi, I just saw this... we have been through 2 surgeries with Tia, 1 for each leg; not 2 at the same time (just the thought make me queasy :-)) There's advice I used all over this forum if you just do a search on TPLO. Since I see you've had the surgery and have the directions from doctor then you should be all set. When the medication wears off and Carl starts feeling a little better make sure you have lots of things ready to keep him occupied. Stuffed kongs, I freeze a peanut butter and yogurt mix in the kong and it make it last longer frozen. A couple of special chew toys like nylabone or antlers that I switched in and out to keep the new feeling there. Make sure you are watching so that he isn't chasing the kong all over, I used these in the kennel when I wasn't going to be around.

Also when he starts to feel better you will really need to watch because they think they are better and try to do crazy things to get freedom. We set up the family room with her kennel and a doggy fence around it because I hated her being in a kennel so much, well when I came home from work one day she had tried to jump the fence. So when we were gone, we could only kennel. When we were in the same room with her we kept her on a leash so I could grab her if she tried to get upstairs or play with her brother. It's so hard because they want to be with you so we lived in the family room for 8 weeks.

Don't fall for the sad face... I know it's hard but believe me you don't want to ever have to go through this again. Good Luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello,

Thank you!

The gang sure has you covered.... hoping all is going well with just a few days in. Sending lots of prayers for a quick recovery --- please keep us posted.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online