Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 25

Thread: Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    45
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Magnolia
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

    Our 4 year old EB underwent soft palette surgery last week. I took her in because she was all of sudden wheezing. (something I had never heard before from her) So they recommended the soft palette surgery. The surgery went fine. We brought her home that night and 2 days later the mailman came to the door and she got excited and ran to her bed and couldn't breath. We drove like a maniac to the ER and they said her throat was badly swollen. They have had her sedated with a breathing tube. They just today took her off sedation and removed the tube and are monitoring her for 24 hours. Some of the swelling went down.

    Long story but my question is has anyone had the SWELLING issue happen after soft palette surgery? I had read recover was quick and no problem.

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,500
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

    We had this happen after Tyson's neuter. He got aggravated by a tech trying to move his IV, and his throat started to swell, they had to intubate him bc he was turning blue. He is well & recovered, but he had to stay in an oxygen chamber for 5 days until his O2 levels were able to hold their own. The key is they monitor her closely, ensure she is holding her levels on her own, and keep oxygen nearby. Saying a prayer for your sweet girl. Keep us posted, its already great news that some of the swelling has gone down.


    Quote Originally Posted by Little miss Maggie View Post
    Our 4 year old EB underwent soft palette surgery last week. I took her in because she was all of sudden wheezing. (something I had never heard before from her) So they recommended the soft palette surgery. The surgery went fine. We brought her home that night and 2 days later the mailman came to the door and she got excited and ran to her bed and couldn't breath. We drove like a maniac to the ER and they said her throat was badly swollen. They have had her sedated with a breathing tube. They just today took her off sedation and removed the tube and are monitoring her for 24 hours. Some of the swelling went down.

    Long story but my question is has anyone had the SWELLING issue happen after soft palette surgery? I had read recover was quick and no problem.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  4. #3
    Pooper scooper
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    45
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Magnolia
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

    Thanks for sharing.
    Quick question....when you say keep oxygen nearby.... in what form? I've been wanting to have oxygen at home but no one seems to know how to do that for a bulldog?

  5. #4
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,500
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

    Sorry I should have said at the vet, or ER. They placed Tyson in an oxygen tank for five days. I looked into oxygen at home too, but never ended up going through with any purchase. The tank is loud too with the oxygen noise so it blanks out distractions and such.

    You may need to crate her when you get home, cover her crate with a blanket. Disconnect the doorbell for a few days? Just let her out to do her business and eat. Just so she doesn't get worked up again before she is completely healed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Little miss Maggie View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    Quick question....when you say keep oxygen nearby.... in what form? I've been wanting to have oxygen at home but no one seems to know how to do that for a bulldog?

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  7. #5
    Pooper scooper
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    45
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Magnolia
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

    ah I didn't think of crating her until she is well. She hasn't been crated since she was a puppy. But perhaps that might be better for her. I did stop the mail and have signs no soliciting and don't ring the bell, don't knock... it looks like a crime scene photo on our front steps with the STOP don't come on steps. I can't have her go through this again. Thank you for telling me about Tyson. I helps to know that this type of thing can happen. I wish it didn't for all of us. Thanks again. Your words helped me during this difficult time.

  8. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
  9. #6
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,500
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

    It was a very very difficult time for us. I still have nightmares and flashbacks of it. I really thought we were gonna lose him. Its probably why I have post traumatic stress with him now. But I know that she will be fine, it seems she is in good hands with her doctor, and she has loving parents They are strong little things, and bounce back so quick! But I would do extra quiet and relax time once you get home just for a few days.


    Quote Originally Posted by Little miss Maggie View Post
    ah I didn't think of crating her until she is well. She hasn't been crated since she was a puppy. But perhaps that might be better for her. I did stop the mail and have signs no soliciting and don't ring the bell, don't knock... it looks like a crime scene photo on our front steps with the STOP don't come on steps. I can't have her go through this again. Thank you for telling me about Tyson. I helps to know that this type of thing can happen. I wish it didn't for all of us. Thanks again. Your words helped me during this difficult time.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  11. #7
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    39,969
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11328

    Default Re: Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

    Jessica has you covered..... sending lots of healing prayers for your sweet girl.

    keep us posted on how she is @Little miss Maggie
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  12. #8
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,500
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6184

    Default Re: Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

    How is Miss Maggie doing??



    Quote Originally Posted by Little miss Maggie View Post
    ah I didn't think of crating her until she is well. She hasn't been crated since she was a puppy. But perhaps that might be better for her. I did stop the mail and have signs no soliciting and don't ring the bell, don't knock... it looks like a crime scene photo on our front steps with the STOP don't come on steps. I can't have her go through this again. Thank you for telling me about Tyson. I helps to know that this type of thing can happen. I wish it didn't for all of us. Thanks again. Your words helped me during this difficult time.

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  14. #9
    Pooper scooper
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    45
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Magnolia
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Jessica has you covered..... sending lots of healing prayers for your sweet girl.

    keep us posted on how she is @Little miss Maggie
    Thank you

  15. #10
    Pooper scooper
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    45
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Magnolia
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    How is Miss Maggie doing??

    Hi
    they took her breathing tube out. She is still in oxygen tent. They are working to get her muscles moving because she was sedated for those days. She is breathing with a raspy sound but they feel that is just from the breathing tube being in her throat all those days. They hope she can come home tomorrow evening . Thank you again for yesterday. Knowing I wasn't alone in my feelings and trauma helped. I'm sorry if recalling Tysons episode saddened you. Thanks for your concern.

  16. #11
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    39,969
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11328

    Default Re: Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Little miss Maggie View Post
    Hi
    they took her breathing tube out. She is still in oxygen tent. They are working to get her muscles moving because she was sedated for those days. She is breathing with a raspy sound but they feel that is just from the breathing tube being in her throat all those days. They hope she can come home tomorrow evening . Thank you again for yesterday. Knowing I wasn't alone in my feelings and trauma helped. I'm sorry if recalling Tysons episode saddened you. Thanks for your concern.
    this is great news....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  17. #12
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,700
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5529

    Default Re: Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

    I'm SO sorry to hear this... my Willow just had surgery a week ago for elongated palette, cherry eye and her nares. She didn't have any issues except for vomiting from the morphine, we also had this surgery done on Walter about a year ago with no complications. My vet does the cut for the elongated palette and the reasoning behind this (because of course I ask a million questions beforehand) is that in her opinion the laser surgery causes more swelling issues in the throat area. I'm not sure how your pup was done, but I wanted to put that out there since I know that many vets prefer the laser options because it's quicker with less bleeding. Willow is on the hyper end as well, so we kept her crated most of the day for those first 48 hours after surgery.

    I hope that your girl continues her recovery... please keep us posted!!!

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •