Soft Palette Surgery Healing Time? Swollen?

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
Our 4 year old EB underwent soft palette surgery last week. I took her in because she was all of sudden wheezing. (something I had never heard before from her) So they recommended the soft palette surgery. The surgery went fine. We brought her home that night and 2 days later the mailman came to the door and she got excited and ran to her bed and couldn't breath. We drove like a maniac to the ER and they said her throat was badly swollen. They have had her sedated with a breathing tube. They just today took her off sedation and removed the tube and are monitoring her for 24 hours. Some of the swelling went down.

Long story but my question is has anyone had the SWELLING issue happen after soft palette surgery? I had read recover was quick and no problem.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We had this happen after Tyson's neuter. He got aggravated by a tech trying to move his IV, and his throat started to swell, they had to intubate him bc he was turning blue. He is well & recovered, but he had to stay in an oxygen chamber for 5 days until his O2 levels were able to hold their own. The key is they monitor her closely, ensure she is holding her levels on her own, and keep oxygen nearby. Saying a prayer for your sweet girl. Keep us posted, its already great news that some of the swelling has gone down.

Our 4 year old EB underwent soft palette surgery last week. I took her in because she was all of sudden wheezing. (something I had never heard before from her) So they recommended the soft palette surgery. The surgery went fine. We brought her home that night and 2 days later the mailman came to the door and she got excited and ran to her bed and couldn't breath. We drove like a maniac to the ER and they said her throat was badly swollen. They have had her sedated with a breathing tube. They just today took her off sedation and removed the tube and are monitoring her for 24 hours. Some of the swelling went down.

Long story but my question is has anyone had the SWELLING issue happen after soft palette surgery? I had read recover was quick and no problem.

OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
Thanks for sharing.
Quick question....when you say keep oxygen nearby.... in what form? I've been wanting to have oxygen at home but no one seems to know how to do that for a bulldog?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Sorry I should have said at the vet, or ER. They placed Tyson in an oxygen tank for five days. I looked into oxygen at home too, but never ended up going through with any purchase. The tank is loud too with the oxygen noise so it blanks out distractions and such.

You may need to crate her when you get home, cover her crate with a blanket. Disconnect the doorbell for a few days? Just let her out to do her business and eat. Just so she doesn't get worked up again before she is completely healed.

Thanks for sharing.
Quick question....when you say keep oxygen nearby.... in what form? I've been wanting to have oxygen at home but no one seems to know how to do that for a bulldog?

OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
ah I didn't think of crating her until she is well. She hasn't been crated since she was a puppy. But perhaps that might be better for her. I did stop the mail and have signs no soliciting and don't ring the bell, don't knock... it looks like a crime scene photo on our front steps with the STOP don't come on steps. I can't have her go through this again. Thank you for telling me about Tyson. I helps to know that this type of thing can happen. I wish it didn't for all of us. Thanks again. Your words helped me during this difficult time.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It was a very very difficult time for us. I still have nightmares and flashbacks of it. I really thought we were gonna lose him. Its probably why I have post traumatic stress with him now. But I know that she will be fine, it seems she is in good hands with her doctor, and she has loving parents :) They are strong little things, and bounce back so quick! But I would do extra quiet and relax time once you get home just for a few days.

ah I didn't think of crating her until she is well. She hasn't been crated since she was a puppy. But perhaps that might be better for her. I did stop the mail and have signs no soliciting and don't ring the bell, don't knock... it looks like a crime scene photo on our front steps with the STOP don't come on steps. I can't have her go through this again. Thank you for telling me about Tyson. I helps to know that this type of thing can happen. I wish it didn't for all of us. Thanks again. Your words helped me during this difficult time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jessica has you covered..... sending lots of healing prayers for your sweet girl.

keep us posted on how she is [MENTION=5778]Little miss Maggie[/MENTION]

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
How is Miss Maggie doing??

OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
How is Miss Maggie doing??

Hi
they took her breathing tube out. She is still in oxygen tent. They are working to get her muscles moving because she was sedated for those days. She is breathing with a raspy sound but they feel that is just from the breathing tube being in her throat all those days. They hope she can come home tomorrow evening . Thank you again for yesterday. Knowing I wasn't alone in my feelings and trauma helped. I'm sorry if recalling Tysons episode saddened you. Thanks for your concern.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi
they took her breathing tube out. She is still in oxygen tent. They are working to get her muscles moving because she was sedated for those days. She is breathing with a raspy sound but they feel that is just from the breathing tube being in her throat all those days. They hope she can come home tomorrow evening . Thank you again for yesterday. Knowing I wasn't alone in my feelings and trauma helped. I'm sorry if recalling Tysons episode saddened you. Thanks for your concern.

this is great news....

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm SO sorry to hear this... my Willow just had surgery a week ago for elongated palette, cherry eye and her nares. She didn't have any issues except for vomiting from the morphine, we also had this surgery done on Walter about a year ago with no complications. My vet does the cut for the elongated palette and the reasoning behind this (because of course I ask a million questions beforehand) is that in her opinion the laser surgery causes more swelling issues in the throat area. I'm not sure how your pup was done, but I wanted to put that out there since I know that many vets prefer the laser options because it's quicker with less bleeding. Willow is on the hyper end as well, so we kept her crated most of the day for those first 48 hours after surgery.

I hope that your girl continues her recovery... please keep us posted!!!

OP
L

Little miss Maggie

Aug 23, 2012
Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnolia
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I'm writing this now because I don't think I will able to shortly.
Maggie has passed. She couldn't breath on her own. We are devastated. We loved her dearly. We were so very
lucky to have her in our lives for these 4 years. Oh my god. We miss her.
ps: I will probably be logging off this site for quite some time... just too painful. Thanks again ... especially to Tyson's mom.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I'm writing this now because I don't think I will able to shortly.
Maggie has passed. She couldn't breath on her own. We are devastated. We loved her dearly. We were so very
lucky to have her in our lives for these 4 years. Oh my god. We miss her.
ps: I will probably be logging off this site for quite some time... just too painful. Thanks again ... especially to Tyson's mom.

No... my god-- so sorry for the loss of sweet Maggie. The pain is something we all know--- stay with us we can help and support you through the pain!

So very sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Tears and broken heart for you... so sad... Prayers to heal your heart

Most Reactions

Members online