SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
Hi
My dog Red has been on pork and peas for months now and was doing very well. In the last two months he has had lots of yeast infections along with paw licking.

He also gets coconut with his food. Was thinking of trying to change his food again, what would you recommend I try?

Any jell would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
You can swap flavors of Fromm 4 star food without having to wean your dog off what they are eating so I would try a different Fromm for a bag and see if that helps. You can also try adding some Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with mother to your dogs food or water and see if that helps also. I never added ACV to chunky water but putt on his food and he ate it without any trouble and his paws and face weren't as red as normal. They arent that bad anyway but were better

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can swap flavors of Fromm 4 star food without having to wean your dog off what they are eating so I would try a different Fromm for a bag and see if that helps. You can also try adding some Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with mother to your dogs food or water and see if that helps also. I never added ACV to chunky water but putt on his food and he ate it without any trouble and his paws and face weren't as red as normal. They arent that bad anyway but were better

Agreed!

Try the Lamb and Lentil or Hasen Duckenpfeffer or Salmon Tunalini

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I'm going through the same issue with my Ruthie. She's been on Pork and Peas forever but for the past few months has had ear infections, cysts in her paws, her folds are yeasty. We are taking her to an allergist. She's off all treats except her food right now, so the vet and I have narrowed it down to the pork and peas. We are either going to try a hypo allergenic dog food or going raw, which i'm not to keen on but I have to do something for her.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would try different proteins before going on a hypoallergenic food (they are usually not great if it is prescription!). Monty was on Acana and doing really well until they changed the ingredients for the US market. Major yeast outbreak!! I had tried a few proteins previously and now have a couple that I can switch between and I do quite regularly. It is within the same brand though (Zignature). It's all trial and error with these boys!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I would try different proteins before going on a hypoallergenic food (they are usually not great if it is prescription!). Monty was on Acana and doing really well until they changed the ingredients for the US market. Major yeast outbreak!! I had tried a few proteins previously and now have a couple that I can switch between and I do quite regularly. It is within the same brand though (Zignature). It's all trial and error with these boys!

We've already tried different proteins, with no luck :( . I haven't shared much in the general forum but this has been going on since May with her. We are at our last resort with doing hypo-allergenic or raw. Not what I want to do but Ruthie has to eat LOL.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor Ruthie! It really is a nightmare trying to sort their food out. I am guessing you have already tried Honest Kitchen where you provide the protein? I think that is going to be my next move if this food goes wrong.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We've already tried different proteins, with no luck :( . I haven't shared much in the general forum but this has been going on since May with her. We are at our last resort with doing hypo-allergenic or raw. Not what I want to do but Ruthie has to eat LOL.

you are going to td the allergy testing right? Keep us posted...

I was having the issue with Lambeau, did the testing and he is allergic to pretty much everything in the environment and LAMB, which I happen to be feeding him at the time.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
you are going to td the allergy testing right? Keep us posted...

I was having the issue with Lambeau, did the testing and he is allergic to pretty much everything in the environment and LAMB, which I happen to be feeding him at the time.

Yes we are! I called the vet yesterday for the referral. She just finished all her meds.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes we are! I called the vet yesterday for the referral. She just finished all her meds.

Great.. remember.. eait 40 days if she was on steroids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Great.. remember.. eait 40 days if she was on steroids

Will do!
She's not getting any better. There was so hope for a bit but once we decreased steroids it all came right back.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names

We did it with Chumly and the difference once he was on the shots was amazing. It changed his life.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Will do!
She's not getting any better. There was so hope for a bit but once we decreased steroids it all came right back.

Sorry.. fat finger-- that was to be 30 days

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Have you tried the honest kitchen? Since her allergies are so bad you have to do the base mix like we do and then add your own protein once you figure out what she can have. It's truly the only thing that's ever really worked amazing for Tyson!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Have you tried the honest kitchen? Since her allergies are so bad you have to do the base mix like we do and then add your own protein once you figure out what she can have. It's truly the only thing that's ever really worked amazing for Tyson!

No we haven't. We were thinking about giving her deer meat first to try since we know exactly where it came from since Brian killed it. I'm going to look into it, thank you!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online