Bully stick swallowed, diarrhea followed

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
Ok so, I'm not freaking out yet. I read a lot of the same things happening...
Pablo swallowed about six inches of a bully stick. Half chewed half not.

He woke up mid night and exploded. Cow patties. No blood, no vomiting.

Question: try to give him Vaseline to pass easy? Or just keep him hydrated and check for blood or vomiting? I know it should digest but curious if anyone experienced similar.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
This type of thing, I would personally put a call in to the vet…just peace of mind - How was his appetite this morning? That could be an indication of blockage/partial blockage.

Tagging a friend for you...
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Get to the vet... bully stick do not digest well and it may cause a blockage and if he does vomit it might become a chocking hazzard.... bully sticks are not good at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
Online says maybe petroleum jelly to help it pass? Since it's less than a day since, I'm going to monitor closely but vet if nothing soon.
Thanks. You confirmed what I hoped wasn't the answer :(

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
Oh and appetite was normal. I don't know if I could curve his appetite lol it's his favorite time of day

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I have read so many horror stories when it comes to bully sticks and rawhide, that's why I tagged an experienced member… here's a list from another dog-site that may be of some use to you during monitoring…

"List of signs of abdominal problems and things to look for:

Check the gums. You need to check the gums regularly while she's healthy so you know what color is normal for her. Paler than normal can mean dehydration, low blood pressure, or trouble breathing. Dry, sticky gums (instead of wet and slick) can mean dehydration. Brick red gums can mean heat stroke or the early stages of bloat. Blue means the dog isn't getting enough oxygen. White or grey gums are an emergency either with blood flow or oxygen. You can also test blood pressure by pressing the gum firmly for three seconds and then removing your finger. The spot you pressed should return to normal color in 1-2 seconds. Longer means lower blood pressure.

Other signs of serious abdominal problems:
  • if the dog is hunched up,
  • experiencing pain in the abdomen,
  • experiencing distention in the abdomen,
  • is unwilling to move,
  • has trouble getting up or staying standing,
  • is lethargic,
  • has dull eyes,
  • appears anxious,
  • is yawning over and over,
  • is drooling abnormally,
  • is foaming,
  • is pacing,
  • is hiding in a safe place,
  • is standing with his legs wider than normal, staring ahead or at the floor,
  • or is puking or gagging on and off over the course of several hours or for more than a handful of times in a row.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Those are all signs of anxiety and/or abdominal problems. Remember, pooping is a good sign, but it doesn't prove the dog isn't obstructed"[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]keep us posted, [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]also, no harm in putting in a phone call to the vet just to ask their opinion… [/FONT]

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
I fed him petroleum jelly and he ate it as if it tastes great lol. He's running around and no signs above... I had read that in my research. Thank you!
I'll keep this posted

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
His poops went back to normal kind of? ...I'm hoping I'm out of the woods? We'll see.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Watch him closely, he could still get an obstruction from it, even several days later. As others have said, bully sticks, raw hides, pig ears and all that crap like that is a big NO NO for bullies. Hope your boy is OK.

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
Any good chew that they love? I got expensive antlers and hip bones, he doesn't bother with them.
I'll keep an eye, I watch him very closely always and inspect him like a hover dad... he's my pride n joy! I hope he's fine.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you've been given good advice as usual from above members, I haven't had any experience with my guys swallowing anything sharp, but my male Bulldozer loves to eat textiles like towels, pillows, blankets, stuffed animals, tennis ball fuzz, and his favourite is sweat socks, he has swallowed 4 socks in the 4 and 1/2 years that I've had him. He has luckily been able to pass them through pooping them out or vomiting. I have read though that you can give a piece of bread to coat the object so it lessens the sharpness and helps to pass it, like a buffer. You want to watch for signs of obstruction like vomiting or diarrhea, drooling from the mouth, and acting lethargic. Check his poop every time to see if he passes any pieces of the bully stick. I hope he's okay and that he passes it without any problems. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
Hey thanks!
Being a puppy lethargic is tough. He is tired any time we go out and play lol. But, no symptoms and I'd say he's normal aside from the poop last night.
I am waiting to see one long strip of poop that will be half digested bully stick.
Also, the good news is that the end he swallowed first was soft and mushy. Hopefully it stays that way on the way thru!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
So, dont ask....was going to ask what on earth is bully sticks!!! Well duhh me lollll so I Google it.. hope its not from China or India.... not cooked!!!!

One of the most frequent questions we're asked is, "What are bully sticks made from?" Bully Sticks are 100%*Beef Sticks Dog Treats*and*dog chews*that are made from the pizzle or penis of the bull. Pizzles have historically been used for different purposes from walking canes to medicinal powders, and even eaten in their raw or cooked form by humans in parts of the world today.In the United States, pizzles are most commonly used as*dog chews. These bully sticks or*Beef Stick Dog Treats*and chews originate from primarily US or South American cattle. In recent years there have been new products introduced to the USA market from India (these are water buffalo pizzles) and from Australia and New Zealand. Most people prefer*bully sticks*that are from either the USA or South America because of the safety and cooking standards employed. It is our belief that*bully sticks*from India and China are of inferior quality and not cooked or prepared properly.

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
It's from India. I just checked. The company is from nj, which when I asked if from USA was told yes, but I think honest mistake on store part. And it is buffalo.
I checked for digestible and doesn't say. Oyyyyyy. Most I get are red barn, nj company, made in s America.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Coconut oil also might help lube things up and is healthier than petroleum jelly.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online