Help Needed! Cherry Eye?

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Does this look like it could be cherry eye or just irritation? Pippens eye was a little red and her inner eyelid was showing on Monday and then it went away Tuesday so I thought maybe she just got a little scratch or something. But it came back on Wednesday and has been the same since then. Our other bully had cherry eye once but it was very obvious and we were able to just massage it back in. Hers doesn't really have that "ball" look and I've tried massaging it but that just seems to make it more irritated looking. Any suggestions??

38feffaf3c82e3fcec380937fab08f8e.jpg

a17a613e98e81767ccfde235496f3fe6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Cherry eye for sure. Google cherry eye on you tube and you can learn how to easily massage it back into place.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Cherry eye for sure. Google cherry eye on you tube and you can learn how to easily massage it back into place.

Thanks! I have watched and tried a little but it just seems to make it more irritated [emoji20] I'll have to try again to get it better when my husband is home to help me out!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Just take your time. It's a little nerve wracking when you first start doing it becuase you worry that you are hurting them. Does it go down on it's own or is it just staying out completely now?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Just take your time. It's a little nerve wracking when you first start doing it becuase you worry that you are hurting them. Does it go down on it's own or is it just staying out completely now?

It's pretty much completely out but just looks like her inner eyelid is a little swollen and doesn't really look like a "ball" like I see in other pictures. That's why I wasn't really sure if it actually was cherry eye.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That is exactly how Tyson's started. There seem to be varying degrees on how the cherry eye sticks out, I guess the weaker the tissue the more it bulges.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
That is exactly how Tyson's started. There seem to be varying degrees on how the cherry eye sticks out, I guess the weaker the tissue the more it bulges.

Oh wow good to know! And you were able to massage his back in fine? I tried massaging hers some more a little while ago and it seems to look a little better but still is there. It's looking pretty red and irritated so I'm going to leave it alone for awhile before messing with it again!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
See if she will let you put a warm rag on it for a bit. You get very good at massaging it in after a while we sure did with Ty. Raven would get cherry eye once in a blue and we had no problem massaging hers in. To date Tyson has had two surgeries on his. The first time we did a tack when he was neutered but close to the post-up check it popped again. Granted he had a very big cherry eye and he has droopy eyelids. The vet believes that the droopy eyes contributed to his issues. I left it alone and then it started to bother me because it looked so annoying that I felt bad for him. Maybe three months or so I decided to have it done again. This time the vet went with actually anchoring the tissue down to the orbital. Looked like it was going to be good but alas it is not to be. So our next step would be to have the gland removed and possibly an eye lift for him. I have decided to not do a blessed thing to it anymore. I don't want to chance putting him under again. Matter of fact I just spoke to the vet to discuss and he wanted to think on it. I told him I am not interested in putting him under but I would like some sort of ointment or maybe a recommendation for an eyedrop/tear replacement instead. I want to make sure the tissue doesn't get inflamed and/or dry out.

For now work on just massaging it in, I have also had to give Ty benadryl on occassion because he will get seasonal allergies and it made the cherry eyes pop. If the situation persists you can always have the surgery done when she is spayed. Good luck!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
[MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION] oh my gosh poor thing! I don't blame you!! Pippen actually just had her spay/soft palate surgery done about a month ago so I'm hoping I can just get this one to go back in and it doesn't come back! Our other bully had one a couple years ago and I was able to massage it back in easy and it never came back.

Crazy thing is it started on Monday and then went away on its own and was completely fine all day Tuesday and then showed back up again on Wednesday! She had been scratching that side of her face so I thought she had just scratched her eye a little. I put chamomile tea bags on it a few times Monday so will try that again and I've also been doing the Benadryl. She has the biggest wide open eyes so I didn't think we would ever have a problem with hers! Hopefully I can get it healed back up!!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor baby. Once it was bothering Ty so bad that when we went outside to potty he started rubbing his face on the cement. Ty's right side will come and go. The left side which is the bad side where he has had the two operations just seems to stay out. He has really droopy eyes. As a puppy we used to joke that he looked like droopy for the old Hannah Barbera cartoons.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
[MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION] hahaha that is too funny! She hasn't acted like it's bothering her, no pawing or rubbing it thank goodness. Hopefully I can get it massaged back in for good later. This is what her eyes usually look like, big and clear as can be!

b1cb84aa0a5189dab100e608b09ddbcd.jpg

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She is adorable. Hopefully it will go back and just come out once in a blue so you won't have to bother with surgery.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Awwwa what a cutie... Nyala had a cherry eye and Lot of other members dog. Type in cheery eye in the search box and you can read it all. It doesn't seem that bad. Usually it pops out way more than that. Do a search and you will also see photos and will guide you.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Good news! After massaging it like a million times I finally got it to go back in this morning! Now fingers crossed it doesn't pop back out!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.