Phlegm!

UgaJohnson

Nov 7, 2016
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Uga
My little girl is hacking up Phlegm so much! She's always had a little gurgle, especially in the mornings, but today it's horrible! I did change her diet from kibble to home cooking. Could that have something to do with it? She has more energy & her poo looks so much more healthy than when she was on kibble, but now she has all this Phlegm! 1479168616523-866342305.jpg

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
You could try giving her a small amount of jiff lemon juice that should help break the phlegm up, and I would suggest a vet appointment to get her checked over.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
How old is your little lady? - Has she been around any other dogs, at daycare, or pet-store? I would most certainly get her to the vet for a check up just to be safe.

OP
U

UgaJohnson

Nov 7, 2016
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Uga
She's 6 months old.
No visits to the pet store lately. Just her daily visits at the fence with her 2 girlfriends that live next door.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would get a vet check too, just to be safe. They get pneumonia so easy, plus there is a nasty upper respiratory disease going around now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would have the vet check to make sure all is good... a someone else mentioned a small cold can turn quickly into something more serious

OP
U

UgaJohnson

Nov 7, 2016
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Uga
The squirt of lemon juice worked great! Thanks for that tip! It helped almost immediately.
I think she's scarfing her food down too fast & that is what caused her cough up so much. I started taking her bowl away a couple times while she's eating so she has to actually take a breath & not inhale her food so fast & she has been perfect since I started doing that. (Although she isn't very happy when I interrupt her meal....)
I also started chopping up her veggies into smaller pieces, because I don't think she chews a thing. Just gulps! Lol! Soo far, so good!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
On occasion we have a gulper come through and we spread their food out on a baking pan so it's not so easy to gulp. They have to chase the food around to catch it and that slows the intake. There are other methods that work well too.

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Glad the lemon juice helped. I tend to feed small portions and leave about 10mins inbetween each portion.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
THERE IS A PLATE YOU CAN GET AT PETSMART TO HELP SO YOUR BABY WILL NOT EAT SO FAST.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.