Chunky has a UTI and Cystine stones.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Chunky is home and looks good but I can tell he is still in pain and weak.

They sent him home with Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets NF which is a kidney function dog food. What could I feed him instead of this that wouldnt cause him anymore problems with the stones which the vets says are from eating too much protein and not enough water. And its a hereditary birth defect that doesn't allow dogs to process cysturine correctly that causes the stones

Look into the honest kitchen. We feed Tyson the base mix "kindly" and we add the protein. It's dehydrated so full of water, and since you add in your own protein you can control it. They have mixes with protein in them, but I would do the bases like we do either "preference" or "kindly"

If you decide to try it let me know I'll give you some pointers for prep, etc. And yes it's messier than kibble and will require more prep but it's been a God sent for Tyson with all his tummy issues and allergies.

Feel better Chunky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Look into the honest kitchen. We feed Tyson the base mix "kindly" and we add the protein. It's dehydrated so full of water, and since you add in your own protein you can control it. They have mixes with protein in them, but I would do the bases like we do either "preference" or "kindly"

If you decide to try it let me know I'll give you some pointers for prep, etc. And yes it's messier than kibble and will require more prep but it's been a God sent for Tyson with all his tummy issues and allergies.

Feel better Chunky!

Thanks Jessica, I will research food some more and will talk to the vet to see what exactly it is that he needs to avoid. I am hoping the local pet food place I get his food now will have honest kitchen and will talk to them soon to see what they have and recommend also. I couldn't get them on the phone this evening and the store is 30 minutes away.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks Jessica, I will research food some more and will talk to the vet to see what exactly it is that he needs to avoid. I am hoping the local pet food place I get his food now will have honest kitchen and will talk to them soon to see what they have and recommend also. I couldn't get them on the phone this evening and the store is 30 minutes away.

They may if they are a specialty pet food store. It's literally all veggies & fruit. You can look online for specifics. But it's literally amazing for sensitive tummies or allergies. Plus if you choose the base mix, you can control the protein. If you need any help let me know. If you do end up trying it and he does well on it, you can set up auto ship through the website and they give you a discount, free shipping and every 12th box is free. That's how we have it set up.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
They may if they are a specialty pet food store. It's literally all veggies & fruit. You can look online for specifics. But it's literally amazing for sensitive tummies or allergies. Plus if you choose the base mix, you can control the protein. If you need any help let me know. If you do end up trying it and he does well on it, you can set up auto ship through the website and they give you a discount, free shipping and every 12th box is free. That's how we have it set up.

They are a specialty pet food store which carries Fromm, Orijen, Acana, and other brands that arent sold in all the box stores and Honest kitchen is listed on their website. Just because its listed it doesn't mean they have it in stock but i was told they will order anything I wanted when I first started buying Chunky food there.

Welcome to Natural Pet Supply Online - Your Stop For Happy and Healthy Pets!

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky seems to be doing well today but its hard to tell how he really feels because he is tough and too stubborn to lay around. He is still wanting to go out frequently to relieve himself but he actually goes now and is done in a few seconds instead of 30 seconds to a minute of straining.

Reading his paperwork the vet sent him home with it says in 60-90 days I can expect his testosterone to drop. What happens then and will his personality change?

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White

What protein do you feed Ty-Ty?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
What protein do you feed Ty-Ty?

Mainly extra lean ground beef and once in a while ground venison or ground kangaroo. They are all lean meats. Ty is a tad on the chunk side, lol.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Thread revival follow up after 10 months.

Chunky went for a urinalysis today to see if he had any stones in his urine and his urine was clean. So the surgery to remove stones, neuter and feeding him reduced protein has worked and he no longer has the Cystine Stone issue.

Thank God

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14678]Chunky White[/MENTION] This is great news to hear! I have been thinking about this-hoping I would hear GOOD news. You have done a great job with him! You are a great Dad,for sure! Yippeee!:heartsign::dance2::dance3::happy2:Chunky is a lucky boy.:yes:

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
[MENTION=14678]Chunky White[/MENTION] This is great news to hear! I have been thinking about this-hoping I would hear GOOD news. You have done a great job with him! You are a great Dad,for sure! Yippeee!:heartsign::dance2::dance3::happy2:Chunky is a lucky boy.:yes:

Thanks Lynn, I am the lucky one here no doubt

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

Chunky went for a urinalysis today to see if he had any stones in his urine and his urine was clean. So the surgery to remove stones, neuter and feeding him reduced protein has worked and he no longer has the Cystine Stone issue.

Thank God

:nightfever: :nightfever: WOOOHOOO!! -

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes,Dad, [MENTION=14678]Chunky White[/MENTION] You are lucky(dedicated) too!:yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Thank God

AWESOME!!! Great news!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Thank God

That is great news!! Louie will be getting neutered at 11-12 months so we should be able to avoid the cystine stone issue all together. So what protein percentage do you stick to? I was under the impression that once neutered and if no stones, you can feed whatever. But I have no idea??? I was planning on switching Louie to raw once he gets neutered but maybe I shouldn't if he shouldn't have the high protein.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online