OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Dried up pretty well without putting the ointment on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Fyi this is not his bed lol

delyrium

Jul 13, 2016
Portland, OR
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joni
Poor guy! My French bulldog, jazzy, who passed away earlier this year of cancer, came to us after spending almost two years in rescue being nursed back to health. She has severe mange and was bald her whole life. But she had been on the streets for a long time before she was found and was a mess. Fly strike on her big frenchie bat ears, burn marks on her back, and 80% bald. You're doing the right thing with the dip treatments and the baths. You might want to consider vetercyn as others have suggested but maybe ask your vet if that is ok. Chapo will heal up under your care! He looks so miserable but I'm sure it will pass and he'll get healthy again.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Vet is guiding you well enough. Depending on Chapo's age there may be some further exploration due. If he's over 2 yrs I'd be concerned as to why he's had a general outbreak of Demodicosis. This is usually something that happens before a dogs immune system is fully developed. There may be an underlying cause of his suppressed immune system. Keep this in mind...again, depending on his age.
It looks like he is responding very well to his treatment so I say keep at it. However, we consider Mitaban Dip as rather "old school" for treating general Demodicosis. We use oral Ivermectin for the Mites along with proper antibiotics depending on what secondary infection exists, if any.
Chapo is a handsome boy and it appears as though he's improving rapidly thanks to your diligence and a competent Vet. I'd bet he's back to new in 2-3 months. I would not be concerned about dead hair follicles. Consider an E collar if he continues digging at his head...we like the Comfy Cone as it's easier on the furniture and our shins.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Awwww poor Chapo! He doesn't look pleased -- as one would expect with his skin like that. Rukus had "puppy mange"/Demodex when he was a pup. It didn't look red like that though, the spots were dark and dry but hair fell out. He reacted terribly to Ivermectin to I put Goodwinol ointment on the spots 2xs daily until the hair started coming back. We didn't do the dip, but Ruckus's case wasn't as widespread. Hope Chapo heals up quickly!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
He reacted terribly...
We had 1 bully react badly to Ivormectin too...its extremely rare for a reaction in Bulldogs. Herding breeds is a different story.
We ended up treating that pup with a daily dose of ?xxx? heart worm prevention...and although expensive, it got the job done nicely.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Excellent results!! Poor Chapo! Prayers that he continues to have successful results!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.