OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Just an update. I took Chapo to the Vet for a skin scrape. Turns out he has Mites called Demodex which was causing his hair fall out and follicles infected. His wounds were starting to get worse. He was prescribed Antibiotics (Cephalexin) and also got a couple injections. They recommended to start with Mitaban Dip treatment and see how that goes. The Doctor said it was due to his Immune system being low and it was hereditary. I wasnt too sure if this is common for all Bulldogs or if this just from Chapo's genes :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
68552f47ff15b30613b378aab719661c.png

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Just an update. I took Chapo to the Vet for a skin scrape. Turns out he has Mites called Demodex which was causing his hair fall out and follicles infected. His wounds were starting to get worse. He was prescribed Antibiotics (Cephalexin) and also got a couple injections. They recommended to start with Mitaban Dip treatment and see how that goes. The Doctor said it was due to his Immune system being low and it was hereditary. I wasnt too sure if this is common for all Bulldogs or if this just from Chapo's genes :(

Thanks for the update :) It is pretty common, but in a way it's good news, allergies are very hard to handle. At least after this treatment he'll be fine :) it can be hard to get rid of so don't take it lightly though...

You could try to add some greek yogurt and coconut oil to his food, it's good for the skin and immune system. I give 2 tbsp/day of each to my dogs.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like [MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] said, you now know what to deal with and stay on it. Once you have finish the treatment and know it's hereditary, I would stay on a "prevention mode" for litte Chapo. Coconut oil, lavender, fish oils, baths..... you see, you need to work on the gut flora balance. It's like the humans. Same thing. Just a thought.

Demodectic Mange In Dogs

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

It is a dog thing, not particular to Bulldogs... when they are pups (under 1 year of age) the mites can take over. He will be fine, just can be a long road to get it under control. As Petra stated, build his immune system and do not miss a dose of meds.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16298]ryecoon[/MENTION] Sorry to hear that Chapo doesn't feel well. My "friend" has a Frenchie who has a shot of Ivermectin every month to prevent the mange that she inherited from her mom.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Our Dachshund was almost bald when he was first rescued and had another bout of it not long after we got him. It is quite common. He is nearly six now and has never had another problem. I am glad you know what you are dealing with and can treat him accordingly. Hope he does better soon.

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Just got Chapo back today. He got his first dip treatment and i started him on the Antibiotics. Also put the prescribed ointment on his wounds so it looks really moist and raw. Im really concerned because shortly after he took his antibiotics, he had a drink of water and threw it up :( I really hope Chapo gets better. Here are the updated pics of his wounds. It looks really bad and im afraid it wont heal properly. His hair has thinned out pretty bad too.
6262033d81f55a90071600b47c64eafe.jpg

6725fd2a065511fca9b0d7011ec153b8.jpg

62425fd8066bac3e5e7cd1585d8a6d43.jpg
913bb997ae5f281ff19fcf6095f3e304.jpg

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Here are pics I took last week when it wasn't so bad.
b1897e782cf7e2db94394510e1ceb9de.jpg

46a59d766b04df7c2d8e95ee7349d364.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16298]ryecoon[/MENTION] Poor Chapo, he looks so miserable. Have they given you something to put on the head-it looks so sore? It even looks like a hotspot. Maybe you could try putting some Vetericyn on it. We'll see what others think,as luckily my dogs haven't had this problem(fingers crossed).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was thinking hotspot too... on his head... need to clean and shave the area so the spot will dry up and heal.

Mange takes awhile but fur will come back.

Build his immune system... probiotics, coconut oil and vitamin D will help

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
[MENTION=16298]ryecoon[/MENTION] Poor Chapo, he looks so miserable. Have they given you something to put on the head-it looks so sore? It even looks like a hotspot. Maybe you could try putting some Vetericyn on it. We'll see what others think,as luckily my dogs haven't had this problem(fingers crossed).

Yes the Vet gave me some ointment for his wounds. I will find out the name when i get home but they also have him Antibiotics and a special shampoo.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I think his hair will grow back to normal, he's still young. Hope the treatments will clear it up fast so he can feel better <3

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
6f4d68b25abd09678064355e246cfc49.jpg

Hello everyone. Here is updated photo of Chapo. Seems to be getting better. I used the shampoo Vet prescribed and stuck with the Antibiotics. This is 3 days after the dip treatment.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.