URGENT!!! Chapo Not doing so Well :(

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Hello Everyone. I am Very worried about Chapo. Hes having bad allergies and also an infection around his eye.

I took him to the vet last week and they gave him some antibiotics also some ointment for his eye. His eye is starting to look a little better but there is still some scarring.

He has red spots all over his body and hair is falling out. Some areas are balding out completely.

Food: Ive stuck with the same food (Taste of the Wild) which was doing pretty well and made his stool solid and healthy looking compared to before. Should I switch to Raw foods?

Baths: I used an antibacterial shampoo & Conditioner since i got Chapo which worked well in the beginning but still Thinking of switching to something else now. I read either Johnson&Johnson Baby soap or Head and shoulders.

Any thoughts or Feed back would be very much appreciated. Thank You

547868c5c6f6b998588c15702c30fa8e.jpg

1f088d7731dc7a44bb34cd99d369ac7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Aw shame poor boy:( Even though Taste of the Wild is a very good food he can still be allergic to the ingredients... what type do you feed him? Maybe switch to a different protein or one without grains?

It's very hard with allergies before you've figured out what causes them... it can basically be anything, most often it's food or grass allergy but it can also be caused by detergent, flea bite, cats... anything really:unsure:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh, and did they do a skin scrape to check so it's really allergy and not mites or something else?

I agree with Petra. You need to have a skin scraping done to check for mites,which it could be mange. I hope you have a good BULLDOG vet,who is familiar with them. Poor Chapo,he looks so sad. The area around his eye looks like mange...... [MENTION=16298]ryecoon[/MENTION]

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Acana has single protein low ingredient food. I've been having problems with allergies also. Mine seems to be doing well on the duck Acana.

I'm considering allergy testing once mine reaches 2 years old.

Switching to home cooked or raw can be done immediately and may be a solution for you to reduce reactions and slowly add other foods in.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I recall your other post previously. To eliminate allergies if its feasible put your little guy on home cooking or raw till all disappears. Then after a few months down the road re-introduce the kibbles if thats what you really want. Like mentioned above, start with NO GRAIN and one protein at the time. Acana, Orijen has that. Like that you will know which protein little Chapo cant have. Takes at lease a good whole bag to see if there is any allergies. Not just 2-3 weeks...good month. Also a kin scrap test would be a good idea. Wash all bedding and rinse cycle with pure vinegar. (one cup). The dog food you are giving him isnt great at all.

Company Researches 2,200 Dog Food Formulas And Finds ONLY 119 To Be Satisfactory ? iHeartDogs.com

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the gang.... get a skin scrape done to rule out mange and also go grain free with one protein. It is a process of elimination at this age.

Poor little guy... hope he heals up soon

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
ahhhh....poor baby. Been thru just about everything with my older bulldog, nothing seems to amaze me anymore. Just try to be patient, takes a while before you see changes for the better. They are tough lil pups and he'll get thru this just fine.
I would clean the area around his eye with some peroxide on a cotton ball each time before adding ointment. I also bathe my pups with puppy shampoo that has oatmeal. I try not to use anything medicated bc sometimes that just irritates the skin even more. As far as switching his food due to allergies I was told by my vet to try something like salmon, kangaroo, fish, etc...to stay away from beef and/or chicken as these are the protein that most dogs are allergic to. Hope this helps! Your baby's gonna be fine!

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Poor Chapo Brosco is on science diet salmon and potatos change everything from his bedding to the rug he may lay on ...or wash with non allergy detergent ,,,,,,, brosco also gets benedryl Bath soap? Other members may disagree but I use nothing but a little dawn dish soap spent 100's on oatmeal shampoos etc for the itches, threw it all away after I visited with a dermatologists about allergies..,, This is just agonizing for these special little friends, I'd start with the food and benedryl keep us posted

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Poor Chappo that eye looks sore, I went through allergies with Ftse would be fine for months then would break out in different things turned out to be food issues also when he was a baby i noticed he was getting red spots on his belly that was due to me putting fabric softner in his washing i cut that out and no more red spots its just trial and elimination.

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Aw shame poor boy:( Even though Taste of the Wild is a very good food he can still be allergic to the ingredients... what type do you feed him? Maybe switch to a different protein or one without grains?

It's very hard with allergies before you've figured out what causes them... it can basically be anything, most often it's food or grass allergy but it can also be caused by detergent, flea bite, cats... anything really:unsure:

I feed him the Orange Puppy bag of TOTW Bison Ingredients.

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Oh, and did they do a skin scrape to check so it's really allergy and not mites or something else?

No skin scrape. I can take him to the Vet and request one

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
I agree with Petra. You need to have a skin scraping done to check for mites,which it could be mange. I hope you have a good BULLDOG vet,who is familiar with them. Poor Chapo,he looks so sad. The area around his eye looks like mange...... [MENTION=16298]ryecoon[/MENTION]

The area around his eye started as a bump then he kept scratching it then it turned into scab

OP
ryecoon

ryecoon

Sep 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chapo
Thank you all for the Feedback. I will consider everything to find the right solution.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.