Real Name
    Erin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hank and Lola
    Likes (Received)

Default Signs of first heat in order to schedule spay appointment

Hi everyone! I have two English bulldogs--Hank is almost 8 years old and in August I brought home Lola, who is now 5 months. I plan to have her spayed, and Hank is neutered.

I know there can be a range in terms of the age of first heat--I've seen an average of 6 months, and my vet told me typically 6-9 months. I've also seen on random discussions, forums, other information sources, etc. that it can even be as late as 12 months. What are the main signs to suggest when Lola will be going in to her first heat? I know that most commonly discussed is the enlarged vulva. I assume this is something that is clearly obvious in relation to how she looks otherwise? And, once this is observed how long until she is in heat and/or that the bleeding might begin? In other words, how much "warning" do I have?

I'm also most interested in learning whether there are other signs that I might observe to suggest she is close to heat other than those signs above (since I'd want to be aware before the bleeding) (e.g., any other fluids and/or discharges? any notable behavior changes?). I realize it would be okay if I do "miss" it and spay her after the first heat, but my hope is to have her spay appointment before her first heat while allowing her to develop as much as possible.

I appreciate any information you have!

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Signs of first heat in order to schedule spay appointment

May I ask why you want have her spayed before her first heat?

Bulldog Vet in Training MFrey2012's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Ellie is going through hers right now, and she started that the beginning October, just after she turned 11 mos....some first signs for us, was she starting "humping" Hubby, her vulva did swell, we knew it had to be on its way, and then one morning we woke up and had some "girl stuff" on the sheets where she had been sleeping.

Thanks and much Love,

Melissa - Ellie's Mom

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by erinsayscheese View Post
    Hi everyone! I have two English bulldogs--Hank is almost 8 years old and in August I brought home Lola, who is now 5 months. I plan to have her spayed, and Hank is neutered.

I know there can be a range in terms of the age of first heat--I've seen an average of 6 months, and my vet told me typically 6-9 months. I've also seen on random discussions, forums, other information sources, etc. that it can even be as late as 12 months. What are the main signs to suggest when Lola will be going in to her first heat? I know that most commonly discussed is the enlarged vulva. I assume this is something that is clearly obvious in relation to how she looks otherwise? And, once this is observed how long until she is in heat and/or that the bleeding might begin? In other words, how much "warning" do I have?

I'm also most interested in learning whether there are other signs that I might observe to suggest she is close to heat other than those signs above (since I'd want to be aware before the bleeding) (e.g., any other fluids and/or discharges? any notable behavior changes?). I realize it would be okay if I do "miss" it and spay her after the first heat, but my hope is to have her spay appointment before her first heat while allowing her to develop as much as possible.

I appreciate any information you have!
    Welcome to EBN

All you mention is what to look for and as Melissa stated... you'll see some discharge fro her ... color may or may not have some blood, but duration of heat varies. I tagged some members that may have more insight for you.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Erin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hank and Lola
    Likes (Received)

Sure, I did some research, and I realize there's a lot of debate on timing and different opinions. In the end, I talked with my vet and that is what she recommended.

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

They can have some discharge a week or two before the heat cycle. You will notice some bleeding first, then the swelling will start. A heat cycle will last about 3 weeks. I would wait a few months after her heat cycle before you spay her.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

10. Likes 2BullyMama, Manydogs, Texas Carol liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Yes, if she goes into heat-as David said, wait at least 3 months. I had my dogs spayed at one year-they had not come in heat. Most come in @ 6 to 9 months.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

12. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

We waited until after our Pippen had her first heat too to get her spayed. She didn't have hers until she was 11 months! She didn't have any signs until it actually started. Just one day she stood up from sitting and there was some discharge on the floor. We got her spayed a few months after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post

Remove Ads