Help Needed! Signs of first heat in order to schedule spay appointment

erinsayscheese

Nov 2, 2016
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank and Lola
Hi everyone! I have two English bulldogs--Hank is almost 8 years old and in August I brought home Lola, who is now 5 months. I plan to have her spayed, and Hank is neutered.

I know there can be a range in terms of the age of first heat--I've seen an average of 6 months, and my vet told me typically 6-9 months. I've also seen on random discussions, forums, other information sources, etc. that it can even be as late as 12 months. What are the main signs to suggest when Lola will be going in to her first heat? I know that most commonly discussed is the enlarged vulva. I assume this is something that is clearly obvious in relation to how she looks otherwise? And, once this is observed how long until she is in heat and/or that the bleeding might begin? In other words, how much "warning" do I have?

I'm also most interested in learning whether there are other signs that I might observe to suggest she is close to heat other than those signs above (since I'd want to be aware before the bleeding) (e.g., any other fluids and/or discharges? any notable behavior changes?). I realize it would be okay if I do "miss" it and spay her after the first heat, but my hope is to have her spay appointment before her first heat while allowing her to develop as much as possible.

I appreciate any information you have!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
May I ask why you want have her spayed before her first heat?

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Ellie is going through hers right now, and she started that the beginning October, just after she turned 11 mos....some first signs for us, was she starting "humping" Hubby, her vulva did swell, we knew it had to be on its way, and then one morning we woke up and had some "girl stuff" on the sheets where she had been sleeping.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone! I have two English bulldogs--Hank is almost 8 years old and in August I brought home Lola, who is now 5 months. I plan to have her spayed, and Hank is neutered.

I know there can be a range in terms of the age of first heat--I've seen an average of 6 months, and my vet told me typically 6-9 months. I've also seen on random discussions, forums, other information sources, etc. that it can even be as late as 12 months. What are the main signs to suggest when Lola will be going in to her first heat? I know that most commonly discussed is the enlarged vulva. I assume this is something that is clearly obvious in relation to how she looks otherwise? And, once this is observed how long until she is in heat and/or that the bleeding might begin? In other words, how much "warning" do I have?

I'm also most interested in learning whether there are other signs that I might observe to suggest she is close to heat other than those signs above (since I'd want to be aware before the bleeding) (e.g., any other fluids and/or discharges? any notable behavior changes?). I realize it would be okay if I do "miss" it and spay her after the first heat, but my hope is to have her spay appointment before her first heat while allowing her to develop as much as possible.

I appreciate any information you have!

Welcome to EBN

All you mention is what to look for and as Melissa stated... you'll see some discharge fro her ... color may or may not have some blood, but duration of heat varies. I tagged some members that may have more insight for you.

OP
E

erinsayscheese

Nov 2, 2016
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank and Lola
Sure, I did some research, and I realize there's a lot of debate on timing and different opinions. In the end, I talked with my vet and that is what she recommended.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They can have some discharge a week or two before the heat cycle. You will notice some bleeding first, then the swelling will start. A heat cycle will last about 3 weeks. I would wait a few months after her heat cycle before you spay her.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, if she goes into heat-as David said, wait at least 3 months. I had my dogs spayed at one year-they had not come in heat. Most come in @ 6 to 9 months.

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
We waited until after our Pippen had her first heat too to get her spayed. She didn't have hers until she was 11 months! She didn't have any signs until it actually started. Just one day she stood up from sitting and there was some discharge on the floor. We got her spayed a few months after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online