Bloody pus-y ooze coming from a lump on my boy's neck

Sleepyhedgehog

Aug 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Reginald Snugglesworth, I (Reggie)
Hey all....last week I noticed a hard spot about the size of a quarter just behind where his collar rests. I thought it was just a spot of dry skin but kept my eye on it. This morning we woke up to it being enlarged, about 4"×2" and leaking pus and blood. It doesn't seem to bother him and with a light pressure was able to get rid of most of the pus but it is continuing to leak dark blood. I can't get into our vet until tomorrow morning.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Should I shave the area or put anything on it? I am so worried.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hey all....last week I noticed a hard spot about the size of a quarter just behind where his collar rests. I thought it was just a spot of dry skin but kept my eye on it. This morning we woke up to it being enlarged, about 4"×2" and leaking pus and blood. It doesn't seem to bother him and with a light pressure was able to get rid of most of the pus but it is continuing to leak dark blood. I can't get into our vet until tomorrow morning.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Should I shave the area or put anything on it? I am so worried.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this worry with your baby. I don't have any experience with this, but if I had to guess without seeing it, ( can you post a picture of what it looks like?). I would say maybe it was a cyst and it burst, or maybe it started as an irritation from his collar rubbing?, and it caused an infection, or it could be a hot spot that got infected? The vet will be able to better diagnose what it is, so it's good you're seeing the vet tomorrow. I would just clean the area with some hydrogen peroxide, and put some Polysporin on it until yo van get to the vet. I hope it isn't anything serious and maybe since you were able to drain the pus, it will heal now. Please keep us posted on what the vet says.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Usually anything that breaks open can be a good sign as you can clean it. But for sure get to a vet. Let us know what it is.

OP
S

Sleepyhedgehog

Aug 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Here is a pic...i shaved the area around it because it keeps draining and I want to keep it clean. The vet had told me that witch hazel was breat for lots of skin issues so I put some on for now. I can't wait to get him to the doctor. 20161031_110708.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16288]Sleepyhedgehog[/MENTION] I agree it looks like perhaps an infected cyst....but awhile back one of mine had what we determined to be a spiderbite on her side,and it looked just like that. He will probably need antibiotics, and cream to put on it. Glad he has a vet appt. Best wishes!

OP
S

Sleepyhedgehog

Aug 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help. I tend to be a worry-wart, and we've only had him 2 months yesterday so new to all these bumps and lumps! Luckily for us he has been very healthy so far other than a mild ear infection when we got him. I will let you know what the vets says.

Thanks again!! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help. I tend to be a worry-wart, and we've only had him 2 months yesterday so new to all these bumps and lumps! Luckily for us he has been very healthy so far other than a mild ear infection when we got him. I will let you know what the vets says.

Thanks again!! :)

How is he doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sleepyhedgehog

Aug 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Just got back from the vet....she couldn't determine what started it but suspects it started out as a scratch and got infected. He had a doggie playdate last week and did some serious playing with some other dogs so maybe. Anyway she thinks it is too infected for justva topical antibiotic so he has pills for a week. Going to keep it clean, and watch it closely.
Also got her to check his eyes, he has some cloudy spots. Which ahe thinks are scars from before he was rescued and had entropian surgery, so going to give him drops now everyday to see if that will help heal or at least keep his eyes more comfortable.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just got back from the vet....she couldn't determine what started it but suspects it started out as a scratch and got infected. He had a doggie playdate last week and did some serious playing with some other dogs so maybe. Anyway she thinks it is too infected for justva topical antibiotic so he has pills for a week. Going to keep it clean, and watch it closely.
Also got her to check his eyes, he has some cloudy spots. Which ahe thinks are scars from before he was rescued and had entropian surgery, so going to give him drops now everyday to see if that will help heal or at least keep his eyes more comfortable.

It happens at times... keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Wow...that looks like a spider bite to me. Yes, watch it closely. If it doesn't start to heal quickly then he might need to see the vet again...possibly for an oral or injected antibiotic.

OP
S

Sleepyhedgehog

Aug 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Absolutely!

Most Reactions