BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
Well my first help post....my 4 month old bully, Rosco, that just came home a little over a week ago has done great. He wasn't sent with any food and I didn't know as much as I do now so I immediately fed him Orijen and nature variety raw. He's been doing great on it, stools were a little lose that first day but have been fine since then. He was a little red when he arrived but again that cleared up in the first day or so of being in his new home.

Friday I fed him a treat with duck and sweet potato. His eyes were red in the evening and heavier breathing than normal. So I thought he must be allergic to one of those two ingredients. He played fine, stools were fine, no excessive licking people on here speak of, etc. I made sure not to give him anymore of those though.

Today he woke up at his usual time ate breakfast, then I gave him some of the plain Greek yogurt people have suggested (his first time trying this). Then he played and napped a little earlier than usual. Slept most of the afternoon. I noticed his eyes were a little pink but im so new to this I never know if I'm just seeing things:) Took him out and he had a extremely soft stool that smelled horrific but not watery, no mucous, or anything else. The one he had this evening was back to normal. He came back in and has slept most of the evening. He got up to play fetch about 730pm but just walked to get the ball, much slower than normal. By 8:30pm his ears were red, face is pink, lips and eyes are a little swollen. Then when I went to get him ready for bed I noticed his belly and legs are covered in a pink rash with small red splotches. When I put him to bed he started the licking excessively, scratching, etc.

So, do I give him a Benadryl, take him to the vet, what?
Could it possibly be from the dairy or more likely it's something outside? Delayed reaction from the treat on Friday night?

Thank You in advance for all knowledge and advice!!

-Beth

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Yes it does sound like he was having a reaction, first of all you can give him Benadryl... and keep an eye on him for any hives or if he has trouble breathing you need to rush him to the vets. Sometimes a cold compress can help keep the itching at bay too...

I was curious as to why you were feeding him Orijen and Nature's variety? The best way to introduce a bully to new foods is try it exclusively and give it a couple of days to see if there is a reaction... food, treats, supplements, etc... That way you will know what he is having problems with and you can remove it from his diet. When I introduce a new kibble I give it slowly over a week's time (with the old diet) to give their stomach's a chance to adjust to the changes... less chance of loose stools or other issues.

OP
BethD

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
Well I knew to introduce food slowly, however the person that we got him from didn't bring any or tell us what they were feeding him. He was very hungry and you could see his ribs. I hadn't read about the bland diet at that point. As far as two kinds of food, that was just me being a EBD novice. He seemed to be doing fine on both. His red eyes and pink face he came with cleared up in a days time. I was giving him rasberries, apples, carrots, for treats. But he has since quit eating those, I think because of medicine he was on for worms. I'd give him liquid med which he didn't like then feed him a treat. Now he just smells the raspberry and walks off. So that is when I got the duck and sweet potato treats.

As for the yogurt, again I have since read about that being a good probiotic. So that is why I gave that to him. So maybe I should just give him kibble only for now and see how he does. He's not as pink this morning but I will remember Benadryl and cold compress for future endeavors. Thank You for the reply. I am eager to learn as much as I can. It's been a long time since I've had a puppy and I've never had an EBD.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Eating large amounts of food at one meal will make his stools soft,he should eat three times a day. Too many different snack or foods can cause it. Just being wormed can cause loose stools, but not the rash. He was allergic to something you fed him,or he got bitten by something outside. As far as foods go-one thing at a time, and see how he does. One snack at a time,also.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
If you just brought him home a week ago, he could be having a soft stool now and then just because he's adjusting to a new environment combined with a new food regimen. Definitely keep an eye on him for signs of allergic reactions like hives, but get him on a feeding schedule with a good grain free food and he should normalize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well my first help post....my 4 month old bully, Rosco, that just came home a little over a week ago has done great. He wasn't sent with any food and I didn't know as much as I do now so I immediately fed him Orijen and nature variety raw. He's been doing great on it, stools were a little lose that first day but have been fine since then. He was a little red when he arrived but again that cleared up in the first day or so of being in his new home.

Friday I fed him a treat with duck and sweet potato. His eyes were red in the evening and heavier breathing than normal. So I thought he must be allergic to one of those two ingredients. He played fine, stools were fine, no excessive licking people on here speak of, etc. I made sure not to give him anymore of those though.

Today he woke up at his usual time ate breakfast, then I gave him some of the plain Greek yogurt people have suggested (his first time trying this). Then he played and napped a little earlier than usual. Slept most of the afternoon. I noticed his eyes were a little pink but im so new to this I never know if I'm just seeing things:) Took him out and he had a extremely soft stool that smelled horrific but not watery, no mucous, or anything else. The one he had this evening was back to normal. He came back in and has slept most of the evening. He got up to play fetch about 730pm but just walked to get the ball, much slower than normal. By 8:30pm his ears were red, face is pink, lips and eyes are a little swollen. Then when I went to get him ready for bed I noticed his belly and legs are covered in a pink rash with small red splotches. When I put him to bed he started the licking excessively, scratching, etc.

So, do I give him a Benadryl, take him to the vet, what?
Could it possibly be from the dairy or more likely it's something outside? Delayed reaction from the treat on Friday night?

Thank You in advance for all knowledge and advice!!

-Beth

hey Beth ---- how is he doing today? As others have suggested, add one thing at a time till he is settled in and you have a better connection with what impacts him.

OP
BethD

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
Thanks everyone! He's still a little pink around the eyes, belly, and face. The swelling in his eyes has gone down completely and the red splotches have pretty much all disappeared. He's definitely back to himself today playing and following me everywhere again!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Wow...too much food going around for a 4 month old that you just brought home. Yes its confusing at times especially when you read too much of a specific thread in here. It will confuse you for sure. 4 months is 3x a day. Gradually bring up the portion every 3 days like a handful more. Orijen is a fantastic kibble as some know I swear by it. But orijen puppy is extremely high in calories so dont over do it. Better start smaller portion and bring it up slowly. Greek yogurt is great but again how much you giving the little guy? Split them up. Dont mix all together as it can upset the little belly. Orijen has everything so I would just feed him that in the morning, yogurt as a mid morning snack, lunch kibbles, afternoon snack like your fruits. If you give coconut oil or salmon oil puppy will get loose stools so just give every other day till his body builds itself up. Babysteps! Oh and I would wash all bedding he lays on. Use vinegar in the rince cycle like one cup. All you need. :)

OP
BethD

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
Wow...too much food going around for a 4 month old that you just brought home. Yes its confusing at times especially when you read too much of a specific thread in here. It will confuse you for sure. 4 months is 3x a day. Gradually bring up the portion every 3 days like a handful more. Orijen is a fantastic kibble as some know I swear by it. But orijen puppy is extremely high in calories so dont over do it. Better start smaller portion and bring it up slowly. Greek yogurt is great but again how much you giving the little guy? Split them up. Dont mix all together as it can upset the little belly. Orijen has everything so I would just feed him that in the morning, yogurt as a mid morning snack, lunch kibbles, afternoon snack like your fruits. If you give coconut oil or salmon oil puppy will get loose stools so just give every other day till his body builds itself up. Babysteps! Oh and I would wash all bedding he lays on. Use vinegar in the rince cycle like one cup. All you need. :)

Should I just start him over fresh? If so, how much kibble do I start with at each meal time? How much kibble per meal once he's built up to it? He has been fine stool wise, playful, etc. until yesterday afternoon. I've been feeding him 3x a day 2 kibble 1 raw. Yesterday, I gave him two table spoonfuls of the Greek plain yogurt as a mid morning snack by itself. Nap time came earlier than normal, soft stool came in the afternoon, rash with red splotches in the evening. He basically slept all day yesterday too. That's why I thought he might have an allergy to it. I'll try it again at a later date to confirm.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
No need to start fresh. How much kibble per day you give him? I would also start with one tablespoon of yogurt instead of 2 good ones.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

OP
BethD

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
No need to start fresh. How much kibble per day you give him? I would also start with one tablespoon of yogurt instead of 2 good ones.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

1 1/2-3/4 cup of kibble(total per day) and 1 cup of the raw. If I take the raw out, how much kibble should I feed him?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
1 1/2-/4 cup of kibble(total per day) aId of the raw. If I take the raw out, how much kibble should I feed him?

First I will take back my comment "wow a lot of food" now that you have described the quantities your dog is eating normal for his age. It just sounded alot the way you wrote it. Probably why we all said what we did. Anyhoooooo

You want him off raw? If it's feasible I wouldn't change. I personally not a fan of raw cause im in the food industry and the things I see with cross contamination....eeeehhhhh.... if its in the wild its different but when humans are involved, well that's another story. Nothing is wrong giving or buying raw. Just personal. Hey that's MY opinion! Why I prefer home cooking or honest kitchen. Allergies can also come from raw. You might want to also check that out and which orijen you giving him? Puppy or adult? Check your duck treat as ive given one to Nyala all duck and she also had loose stool n black. The one I bought was like the size of a finger at the pet shop. I know it wasn't sweet potatoes as she eats that all the time. Like most said above don't give him all sorts in a day as you wont know why he had that reaction.

OP
BethD

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
No I don't necessarily want him off raw. I'm not 100% for or against it either. I am just wanting the best I can provide for him to keep him healthy. I am not ready to commit to feeding raw full time since I have a husband and a house full of kids. That why I have chosen to use Orijen in there as well. I will definitely check out the home cooking threads and look into honest kitchen, so thank you for your two cents. He is on Orijen puppy and I had planned to switch him to adult around 6-7 months since there is so much protein in Orijen. What are your thoughts on this?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No I don't necessarily want him off raw. I'm not 100% for or against it either. I am just wanting the best I can provide for him to keep him healthy. I am not ready to commit to feeding raw full time since I have a husband and a house full of kids. That why I have chosen to use Orijen in there as well. I will definitely check out the home cooking threads and look into honest kitchen, so thank you for your two cents. He is on Orijen puppy and I had planned to switch him to adult around 6-7 months since there is so much protein in Orijen. What are your thoughts on this?

good plan... Honest Kitchen is great food and so is Orijen, and 6-7 months is a bout right to switch to adult

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.