Vets..then and now..money money money

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Im sure if you follow my posts, you probably figured out im more on the natural cure before any vet and I speak my mind..shuuuuuu.... I am NOT saying don't bring your pet to a vet as we all need a GOOD honest vet for our fur balls. But I recall our dogs we had since I was a small kiddy, never did my parents bring the dog(s) to vets like we do today. They even had a longer lifespan. With all today's so call shots that is so not necessary, useless kibbles that's full of fillers, fleas/ticks meds that kills numerous dogs or recalls for this n that....you get my drift. I think people should use their common sense. I home cook for Nyala as I believe like when we had dogs back when fed often leftovers (not fries n burgers, proper food) to our dogs and they outlived most dogs and even would throw pieces of raw meats while we would pack up to freeze chicken or beef. We would bring and I know I still do, bring the pet to the vet only if it was an emergency. If you can "maintain/prevention" ahead of time, you can save a lot of vet bills. Just stay that one step ahead.

All this to say..I thought I should do a thread on what can help you on vets bills. Feel free to add what "you" do for "maintaining and prevention" for your fur ball. This will also help a lot of newcomers that's not sure what to do.

Why Vets Are Getting Away With Murder - Dogs Naturally Magazine

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/50685-expect-bulldog.html

Company Researches 2,200 Dog Food Formulas And Finds ONLY 119 To Be Satisfactory ? iHeartDogs.com

Dog Food Recalls | Dog Food Advisor

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Great post, thanks for sharing. I agree with you on prevention, and give my guys natural supplements like yogurt and apple cider vinegar to boost the immune system, I give them coconut oil, kelp, and a cranberry extract pill to prevent UTIs. I also vaccinate them every two years rather than every year. I believe as well that you can prevent many illnesses and problems by feeding a healthy diet, using natural supplements, exercise and good hygiene, but I also take them to the vet.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
I completely agree! Shoot the lab I had as a kid was fed ole roy dog food, and just had regular check ups and traveled the world with us and he lived to be 16! He was never neutered either. I do the least amount of prevention as possible with my dogs and they are 8, 7, 6 and 17 months and all healthy as can be! I only do rabies (3 year) because it's required and heartworm tests/prevention. I usually gave my own dogs their distemper shots but since they barely leave my property I stopped that too, more shots could just cause more issues. I do thing good dog food is a good thing. I tried to go natural to get rid of my flea issue but it was too out of control : (. I didn't read the reviews to comfortis until after I had already gave it to my dogs but luckily they were all fine and it worked.

I only spent $69 yesterday at the vet for a check-up, rabies and HW test. I swear some vets are out to just make tons of money! My vet also does tech visits so you can get shots/hw tests without paying the exam fee.

- - - Updated - - -

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Many years ago I have a vet for my dobermans. He was known throughout the world for his ear cropping which I had no clue. I just liked that vet. One of my dog had worms. Had no clue where or how he got that back then as I was only in my early 20s. Vet gave me a goofball pill...massive pill and my dog was fine after. But I do recall to this day the vet said "NEVER have your dog smell other dog poop" Anyway I never let any dog walk on anyone's property as it's private and I wouldn't want someone's dog pee or poop on my lawn. So that remark It stucked in my head and to this day I watch that like a hawk. Nyala at the dog park is on her long leash or free in the little fence park which is one on one dog only. No poop there. So yes when you can prevent issues and not be lazy about it, yes your pets will live longer.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I see this is an older post but............. I have a Chihuahua that I believe came home with worms (haven't seen but I know the other dog was treated for worms just after the visit ;/ ) I'm not one to jump on meds but!!!!!!!! Hank seems a bit agitated in that area now so,,, what do I do about that... I think I used to give worm pills from a healthfood store, mabie i'll try that? but b4 I head out, thought i'd check here first ;)
Many years ago I have a vet for my dobermans. He was known throughout the world for his ear cropping which I had no clue. I just liked that vet. One of my dog had worms. Had no clue where or how he got that back then as I was only in my early 20s. Vet gave me a goofball pill...massive pill and my dog was fine after. But I do recall to this day the vet said "NEVER have your dog smell other dog poop" Anyway I never let any dog walk on anyone's property as it's private and I wouldn't want someone's dog pee or poop on my lawn. So that remark It stucked in my head and to this day I watch that like a hawk. Nyala at the dog park is on her long leash or free in the little fence park which is one on one dog only. No poop there. So yes when you can prevent issues and not be lazy about it, yes your pets will live longer.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If you want to try natural route- 1 tablespoon per day of diatomaceous earth ( 2 tsp if under 55 pounds ) with ground up pumpkin seeds ( 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds ), a clove of garlic ground up, and optionally shredded carrot (1/2 tsp per 10 pounds), 2 tsp dried coconut, wheat germ oil or pumpkin seed oil (1/4 tsp per 10 pounds) , papaya (2-3 tsp), 1/2 clove, daily for 10 days. Ottawa Valley Dog Whisperer : DIY Natural, Herbal Dewormers for Dogs and Cats

Or just give one tablet of drontal plus which will kill ALL worms

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thanks, and I do have the Diatomaceous earth as I use that for my chickens as well.... I had thought to look up 'that combo' of what to use as well, and here ya go ;) ... so thanks....... still not sure what I'm going to do, but surely appreciate this!
If you want to try natural route- 1 tablespoon per day of diatomaceous earth ( 2 tsp if under 55 pounds ) with ground up pumpkin seeds ( 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds ), a clove of garlic ground up, and optionally shredded carrot (1/2 tsp per 10 pounds), 2 tsp dried coconut, wheat germ oil or pumpkin seed oil (1/4 tsp per 10 pounds) , papaya (2-3 tsp), 1/2 clove, daily for 10 days. Ottawa Valley Dog Whisperer : DIY Natural, Herbal Dewormers for Dogs and Cats

Or just give one tablet of drontal plus which will kill ALL worms

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I see this is an older post but............. I have a Chihuahua that I believe came home with worms (haven't seen but I know the other dog was treated for worms just after the visit ;/ ) I'm not one to jump on meds but!!!!!!!! Hank seems a bit agitated in that area now so,,, what do I do about that... I think I used to give worm pills from a healthfood store, mabie i'll try that? but b4 I head out, thought i'd check here first ;)
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] got you cover! One more thing sometimes the poop is picked up but the eggs can be sitting there. Speaking of poop. Walked to my truck this morning and dammm lazy *** dog ower didn't pick up their dog's crap!!!! :tapfoot::nonono::aaargh::hellno:

That reeeeeeeeeeeeealy pi sses me OFF!!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Exactly! I know that wherever we walk our dogs, someone else prob as well and weather picked up or not,, sniffen dogs got their noses right where poop has been so, just gonna fix um up ;) I get p/o'ed too!!!!!!!!!!!! dang! how can someone think it's ok to leave in someone else's yard??
[MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] got you cover! One more thing sometimes the poop is picked up but the eggs can be sitting there. Speaking of poop. Walked to my truck this morning and dammm lazy *** dog ower didn't pick up their dog's crap!!!! :tapfoot::nonono::aaargh::hellno:

That reeeeeeeeeeeeealy pi sses me OFF!!!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I have a narrow strip of public land beside the road where I walk the dogs (the road my house is on) and it's covered in dog poo, cigarette butts from cars' occupants dumping their ashtrays, empty gatoraide bottles, partially empty macdonalds bags, bread that people leave out for raccoons ? , used dental floss picks, broken glass etc And I live in a nice area. People are just pigs !!!!! I've taken to brushing off garbage with my foot onto the street in the hope that a street sweeper will be by. Its getting so bad that I won't be able to walk the dogs there much longer unless I decide to put on a pair of rubber gloves and clean the strip up myself. It irks me though that people think it's ok to litter. My dogs are always sniffing everything so I feel I have no choice but to deworm them with either Advantage Multi or Sentinel Spectrum when it's heartworm preventative time.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I took Jax to daycare today and then found out they recently had THREE dogs that tested positive for giardia but showed no symptoms. So of course now I'm worried cause I have a puppy coming home at the end of the month. I think in a week or so I'm going to have a fecal done in case Jax has/gets it and shows no symptoms. But is there anything I can give him as a "just in case" to prevent it?

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I took Jax to daycare today and then found out they recently had THREE dogs that tested positive for giardia but showed no symptoms. So of course now I'm worried cause I have a puppy coming home at the end of the month. I think in a week or so I'm going to have a fecal done in case Jax has/gets it and shows no symptoms. But is there anything I can give him as a "just in case" to prevent it?

It's one of them things, damm you do and damm you dont. Kind of hard to give your dogs something when you're not even sure he'll catch it or wont showup for a while if he does get it. Guess you'll have to wait. Stay away from the daycare for now.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/giardia-in-dogs

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would wash Jax right away to eliminate any giardia cysts on the coat, and wash anus last. Clean the bedding. You can try giving Jax natural anti wormers ( see link below ). If you want to get Jax tested the ELISA test is more accurate, but it will show positive for 6 months after successful treatment of a giardia infection, so if Jax had giardia within last 6 months and was healthy now, it would still show positive. You can use panacur daily for 5 days treatment if you want to go pharmaceutical route.

Preventing And Treating Worms In Dogs - Dogs Naturally Magazine

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I would wash Jax right away to eliminate any giardia cysts on the coat, and wash anus last. Clean the bedding. You can try giving Jax natural anti wormers ( see link below ). If you want to get Jax tested the ELISA test is more accurate, but it will show positive for 6 months after successful treatment of a giardia infection, so if Jax had giardia within last 6 months and was healthy now, it would still show positive. You can use panacur daily for 5 days treatment if you want to go pharmaceutical route.

Preventing And Treating Worms In Dogs - Dogs Naturally Magazine

Jax has giardia twice but it's been years. He gets a bath every Sunday and I wash blankets today too. If he has it, I want to treat him before the puppy comes home. And I know it's not the daycare's fault, all it takes is one dig bringing it in. And they require fecal tests every 6 months. I just wish I knew beforehand. Like, maybe they should create an email database and then send out a blast email to everyone so we know. I'll look at the link you provided. Again, I will probably do a test in a week or so as I know there are t always the usual symptoms.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Quick summary of natural dewormers, use some combination of below:
1 tablespoon per day of diatomaceous earth ( 2 tsp if under 55 pounds ) with ground up pumpkin seeds ( 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds ), a clove of garlic ground up, shredded carrot (1/2 tsp per 10 pounds), 2 tsp dried coconut, wheat germ oil or pumpkin seed oil (1/4 tsp per 10 pounds) , papaya (2-3 tsp), 1/2 clove
Give daily for 10 days.

Another reference: Ottawa Valley Dog Whisperer : DIY Natural, Herbal Dewormers for Dogs and Cats

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.