Fleas

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Hi everyone!
I just moved from high elevation to Southern California about a week ago & I just found a flea on my Louie. I have no experience with fleas, what should I do?

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I use Advantage, or Frontline on all of my dogs. I gave them Heartgard Plus for Prevention of heartworms once a month.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use Sentinel which had a flea prevention plus heart worm. I haven't seen any fleas on my guys, but I have my yard treated around the fence every year...

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
We just dealt with a flea infestation due to my kids bringing them home from the sitters (her cats had them). It was such a huge pita and we tried Frontline and it didn't work. My dogs are on Sentinel but that doesn't kill active fleas. So finally I ordered something called Comfortis and I gave just one pill to each of my 4 dogs and within a week we were flea free and have been ever since. Also I put down Diamaceous earth (spelling sorry), it dries up bugs and is harmless.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Also, give him a bath with Dawn dish soap, let it sit for a bit, then rinse it will kill all the fleas.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I.....knock on wood....wouldn't and never did use any flea shots, treatment etc. Known fact killed a lot of dogs. But this is a personal and touchy subject. This is my believe and would use only like Dawn and I put lavender essential oil on the dog collar as fles n ticks dont like lavender. Makes your pooch smell nice too lol

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hi everyone!
I just moved from high elevation to Southern California about a week ago & I just found a flea on my Louie. I have no experience with fleas, what should I do?
I have never had a flea problem ever, and we just rescued a 8month bullie who came equipt with fleas!! I immediately bathed him in blue dawn dish soap, make sure you create a good barrier at the top of his neck/base of his head so all the fleas do not run up onto his head and into his ears and get a Seresto collar. The Seresto collar will kill all existing fleas and any larve within 24 hrs. I got mine on sale at petco for $69 but they usually run about $89. The collar give full protection for 8 months. I have not seen another flea and since I put a Seresto collar on all three bulldogs, I have not had any problems with fleas. I would not recommend using any topical treatments on Louie.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Chewy has Seresto collars on sale-large dog $39.95

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
The thought of him catching fleas didn't even cross my mind. Where we lived it was so cold it was never an issue for us. I just want to put Lou in a bubble! Thank you for all for all the advice! I bathed him with Dawn dishwashing liquid, & thank you for the good idea about creating a barrier around the base of his head! I think it killed them all for now. I want to use more natural products on him, of course, but I might have to get him some prescription stuff or a collar because where we live there are a lot of fleas. Thanks again for all the advice everyone, I love this site!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
The thought of him catching fleas didn't even cross my mind. Where we lived it was so cold it was never an issue for us. I just want to put Lou in a bubble! Thank you for all for all the advice! I bathed him with Dawn dishwashing liquid, & thank you for the good idea about creating a barrier around the base of his head! I think it killed them all for now. I want to use more natural products on him, of course, but I might have to get him some prescription stuff or a collar because where we live there are a lot of fleas. Thanks again for all the advice everyone, I love this site!
I am nuts about what I give the boys and the seresto collar was wonderful. They had absolutely no reaction to it at all.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The thought of him catching fleas didn't even cross my mind. Where we lived it was so cold it was never an issue for us.
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] Oh boy-can you imagine a wonderful world without fleas!!! Would be nice..........

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We use Sentinel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Safer Ways to Kill Ticks and Fleas on Dogs and Cats

One reason why ive never had on any of my dogs or cats a flea coller.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We don't use flea collars. We have the yard treated by a pet friendly pest control company and then use food grade DE in the yard and rub it in Harlea's coat.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.