my English bulldog roscoe has MAJOR skin issues. Nothing helps !

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
What is the main ingredient in the food you are giving? It could literally come down to one ingredient. All I did was switch the food I was already giving from chicken to lamb and all her allergy symptoms disappeared. Of course if you can go raw like they suggested it's worth a try!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Thank u . And yes we had to have a skin test done on him to make sure it wasn't something before we treated the wrong things. Since they found nothing with the skin the vet would just tell us how to clean him and wipe him when he comes in and etc etc ... then they recommend the allergy testing . He takes the shots but still has break outs and has NEVER felt normal or like he has healthy fur . I hope to God I find a solution. Right now it's looking like I might need to go raw from everyone's responses .

It's not that I don't believe you, far from it, but I find it very strange that the skin allergy test showed nothing at all. Did a dermatologist do the test? How many things did they test for? Chumly's whole side was shaved and I can't remember how many different things was tested for but it was a lot! He would still get break outs a couple of times a year (pollen season) but we usually managed to get it back under control pretty quickly. I am sorry he is going through this, poor boy. It is no fun for them or you. I hope you can get it resolved.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
...but I find it very strange that the skin allergy test showed nothing at all. Did a dermatologist do the test? How many things did they test for? Chumly's whole side was shaved and I can't remember how many different things was tested for but it was a lot!
THIS↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑THIS
I've never known a bulldog that wasn't allergic to something!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmΓ€
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have had 4 bulldogs that have been fed raw food and only one that could not tolerate some foods cause off something that could be considered allergie. And even with him the reaction is heart burn if he ets some green veggies....

THIS↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑THIS
I've never known a bulldog that wasn't allergic to something!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I have had 4 bulldogs that have been fed raw food and only one that could not tolerate some foods cause off something that could be considered allergie. And even with him the reaction is heart burn if he ets some green veggies....

I was referring to the skin tests, as I believe Chip was too. From everything I have read, and I did quite a bit of research when Chumly was alive, the skin test is the gold standard in allergy testing and this poor boy obviously has something going on.

One thing to note is he cannot have been on any anti-histamines or steriods for a period of time before the test. It was 8 years ago when Chumly was tested and I can't remember that time period now.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
...as I believe Chip was too...
...and I can't remember that time period now.
yes, I was...and that time period is 2, yes TWO, long miserable weeks. For really itchy dogs it seems like forever.

Most Reactions

πŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.