my English bulldog roscoe has MAJOR skin issues. Nothing helps !

Cdelucci1

Oct 8, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
I have spend thousands of dollars on my ONE bulldog already.... he had blood tests done and now takes "liquid gold " shots from the vet . He eats only grain free blue buffalo dog food and is only an inside dog. Why do I feel like I am the only person who can't have a normal bulldog? Did I buy a lemon ?! Lol anyone please help me . He is still bleeding on n off from different areas . Right now it's on his shoulder n above
His butt/tail right now. I wipe him with chlorexedine wipes on his areas . We have tried prescription shampoos and oatmeal rubs for him. Nothing helps him. I see people with pictures of their bulldogs on the beach , in the sun, playing outside or even just looking healthy. Anyone have any advice ? He has been tested and the shots r for the top sixty something things he is most allergic too. And he is still breaking out. Heeelp!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[h=4]English Bulldog Allergies- Information, Treatment and Prevention Hello and welcome! Perhaps info on this page will help. Have you tried different food for him? Many times it is a food allergy that will cause skin problems. Have you tried giving him pro-biotics,to boost his immune system? Sorry to hear that the poor boy has such troubles. [MENTION=16426]Cdelucci1[/MENTION][/h]

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Oh poor thing he needs extra attention maybe it's your cologne or perfume? Had to start brosco on Claritin this fall allergies are terrible also went to safe Landry detergent for his bedding seems to helP nasty allergies for a lot of dogs around here not just bullies know some who use Claritin and benedryl

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have spend thousands of dollars on my ONE bulldog already.... he had blood tests done and now takes "liquid gold " shots from the vet . He eats only grain free blue buffalo dog food and is only an inside dog. Why do I feel like I am the only person who can't have a normal bulldog? Did I buy a lemon ?! Lol anyone please help me . He is still bleeding on n off from different areas . Right now it's on his shoulder n above
His butt/tail right now. I wipe him with chlorexedine wipes on his areas . We have tried prescription shampoos and oatmeal rubs for him. Nothing helps him. I see people with pictures of their bulldogs on the beach , in the sun, playing outside or even just looking healthy. Anyone have any advice ? He has been tested and the shots r for the top sixty something things he is most allergic too. And he is still breaking out. Heeelp!

Get him off blue buffalo. If a dog that has so many issues like yours and if it's feasible go raw. You will eliminate a lot of this poor dog's problems. Or at least do Home Cooking. Like mentioned above check the soaps or maybe tge wipes aren't for him. Check out this link for proper food.

Company Researches 2,200 Dog Food Formulas And Finds ONLY 119 To Be Satisfactory ? iHeartDogs.com

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with helene. Raw food or home cooking, no kibble. Limited ingredient. I would do elimination diet which means only one source of protein and one carbohydrate. Preferably something that he hasn't eaten before. when and if you see an emprovement you can one ingredient more. If he can take without an outbrake and another. But sounds like you're btter of with just a few ingredients all together. Probiotics, multivitamin's and oils are also essential.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/the gang... put him on raw or a better quality kibble. We advice people to check out Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor I would also add a good probiotic and a good supplement. My Walter had demodex mange, so along w/grain-free Fromm I give him a NuVet supplement, probiotics, salmon oil or coconut oil and fat-free greek yogurt daily. His fur looks great (except where his sister was "playing" w/him). Good luck...

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George

Get him off blue buffalo immediately ! Possibly no chicken either. Use a benzoyl peroxide shampoo like Pyoben and allergy meds like Apoquel. We add non fat Greek yogurt in the morning and salmon oil at night. Acana is a great food or natures logic.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Did you have a skin test done on him as well as the blood test? The skin test will tell you what environmental allergies he has. Chumly's skin was really awful until I had that done (allergic to wool, cats, different grasses amongst others). The shots made a huge difference plus getting rid of the wool rugs helped. The cat had to stay. If I knew then what I know now, different type food, wiping him down when he came in etc.etc, he probably would have done even better. But, you don't know what you don't know and it is a learning curve. Everyone here will try and help to get him better so keep asking questions. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Welcome to EBN ..... by any chance is he allergic to dust or storage mites? What is the list of allergens?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Did you have a skin test done on him as well as the blood test? The skin test will tell you what environmental allergies he has. Chumly's skin was really awful until I had that done (allergic to wool, cats, different grasses amongst others). The shots made a huge difference plus getting rid of the wool rugs helped. The cat had to stay. If I knew then what I know now, different type food, wiping him down when he came in etc.etc, he probably would have done even better. But, you don't know what you don't know and it is a learning curve. Everyone here will try and help to get him better so keep asking questions. Good luck!

Allergic to cats? Poor thing! LOL

OP
C

Cdelucci1

Oct 8, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
No ,we haven't tried different foods. When we got him he was already on the blue buffalo grain free food sensitive formula dog food . So we just kept him on that. I mean it's grain free. And for dogs with food allergies.

OP
C

Cdelucci1

Oct 8, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Claritin will help with him not having to scratch his fur off ?

OP
C

Cdelucci1

Oct 8, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Thank u . And yes we had to have a skin test done on him to make sure it wasn't something before we treated the wrong things. Since they found nothing with the skin the vet would just tell us how to clean him and wipe him when he comes in and etc etc ... then they recommend the allergy testing . He takes the shots but still has break outs and has NEVER felt normal or like he has healthy fur . I hope to God I find a solution. Right now it's looking like I might need to go raw from everyone's responses .

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank u . And yes we had to have a skin test done on him to make sure it wasn't something before we treated the wrong things. Since they found nothing with the skin the vet would just tell us how to clean him and wipe him when he comes in and etc etc ... then they recommend the allergy testing . He takes the shots but still has break outs and has NEVER felt normal or like he has healthy fur . I hope to God I find a solution. Right now it's looking like I might need to go raw from everyone's responses .

By chance is he allergic to dust or storage mites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
apoquel is what i have my abby on.. she too would scratch until she bled.. i know the frustration.. abbey is doing great with the limited ingredient lamb and rice dog food along with the apoquel from the vet.. i hope you can get it under control..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.