Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my English bulldog roscoe has MAJOR skin issues. Nothing helps !

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Roscoe
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: my English bulldog roscoe has MAJOR skin issues. Nothing helps !

Thank u . And yes we had to have a skin test done on him to make sure it wasn't something before we treated the wrong things. Since they found nothing with the skin the vet would just tell us how to clean him and wipe him when he comes in and etc etc ... then they recommend the allergy testing . He takes the shots but still has break outs and has NEVER felt normal or like he has healthy fur . I hope to God I find a solution. Right now it's looking like I might need to go raw from everyone's responses .

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cdelucci1 View Post
    Thank u . And yes we had to have a skin test done on him to make sure it wasn't something before we treated the wrong things. Since they found nothing with the skin the vet would just tell us how to clean him and wipe him when he comes in and etc etc ... then they recommend the allergy testing . He takes the shots but still has break outs and has NEVER felt normal or like he has healthy fur . I hope to God I find a solution. Right now it's looking like I might need to go raw from everyone's responses .
    By chance is he allergic to dust or storage mites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member punky's Avatar
    Real Name
    gail
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
    Likes (Received)

apoquel is what i have my abby on.. she too would scratch until she bled.. i know the frustration.. abbey is doing great with the limited ingredient lamb and rice dog food along with the apoquel from the vet.. i hope you can get it under control..

Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

What is the main ingredient in the food you are giving? It could literally come down to one ingredient. All I did was switch the food I was already giving from chicken to lamb and all her allergy symptoms disappeared. Of course if you can go raw like they suggested it's worth a try!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cdelucci1 View Post
    It's not that I don't believe you, far from it, but I find it very strange that the skin allergy test showed nothing at all. Did a dermatologist do the test? How many things did they test for? Chumly's whole side was shaved and I can't remember how many different things was tested for but it was a lot! He would still get break outs a couple of times a year (pollen season) but we usually managed to get it back under control pretty quickly. I am sorry he is going through this, poor boy. It is no fun for them or you. I hope you can get it resolved.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A true gentleman and gentle soul.

Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    ...but I find it very strange that the skin allergy test showed nothing at all. Did a dermatologist do the test? How many things did they test for? Chumly's whole side was shaved and I can't remember how many different things was tested for but it was a lot!
    THIS↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑THIS
    I've never known a bulldog that wasn't allergic to something!

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

...and I can't remember how many different things was tested for but it was a lot!
    IIRC, it's 60, or more.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Miina and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I have had 4 bulldogs that have been fed raw food and only one that could not tolerate some foods cause off something that could be considered allergie. And even with him the reaction is heart burn if he ets some green veggies....

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    THIS↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑THIS
    I've never known a bulldog that wasn't allergic to something!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    I have had 4 bulldogs that have been fed raw food and only one that could not tolerate some foods cause off something that could be considered allergie. And even with him the reaction is heart burn if he ets some green veggies....

I was referring to the skin tests, as I believe Chip was too. From everything I have read, and I did quite a bit of research when Chumly was alive, the skin test is the gold standard in allergy testing and this poor boy obviously has something going on.

One thing to note is he cannot have been on any anti-histamines or steriods for a period of time before the test. It was 8 years ago when Chumly was tested and I can't remember that time period now.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A true gentleman and gentle soul.

11. Likes oscarmayer liked this post
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

...as I believe Chip was too...
    ...and I can't remember that time period now.
    yes, I was...and that time period is 2, yes TWO, long miserable weeks. For really itchy dogs it seems like forever.

13. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads