Help Needed! We're in a dilemma with our four-month old bulldog- advice requested

okedoke79

Oct 7, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Miller
Hi everyone-
We're new to the site so hello and thank you for reading! I have a 1.5 year old EB girl named Lola and a four-month old EB boy named Miller. Miller was born on 6-10-16. Miller has developed cherry eye and needs surgery. The vet has suggested doing both surgeries at once, neuter and cherry eye next week so he'd be under anesthesia one time. His cherry eye bleeds and it needs to be taken care of sooner than later.
Thoughts?
Thank you in advance.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If you are planning to have your boy neutered,and you have a good Bulldog vet, whom you trust,I would take his advice. The less your dog has to be "put under" the better it is. His age sounds a little young to me,but I am not a vet,and if you trust yours-that is the main concern!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
If you are planning to have your boy neutered,and you have a good Bulldog vet, whom you trust,I would take his advice. The less your dog has to be "put under" the better it is. His age sounds a little young to me,but I am not a vet,and if you trust yours-that is the main concern!

Hi and Welcome to you and Lola and Miller to EBN. I totally agree with Lynn (ManyDogs) advice. And I'm also ordering about his age, at 4 months it seems a little young to do surgery. Most peop,e do spay or neuter surgery around 6 or 7 months old and before a female goes into a first heat, makes can be neutered later. My other concern is does he only have one cherry eye, or are both eyes affected? The reason I am asking is my female Blossom developed Cherry eye when she was 5 months old, we waited until she was 7 months old to do both spay and cherry eye repair surgery, so she wouldn't have to be under anesthetic twice. That was the theory anyway, because exactly a week after her surgeries, her other eye popped out, and we had to do a second surgery a month later to repair the other eye. This is very common that one eye will pop out first, and the other one will develop cherry eye later, so if you can wait a couple of months to see whether the other one pops out and do both surgeries at once it would be better. I didn't have the problem with Blossoms eye bleeding, so don't have experience with that. Usually the only complication with cherry eye is that the exposed tissue can become irritated and dried out because it's exposed to the air. I used over the counter eye drops in her eye everyday to keep it moist u til we did the surgery, and that worked, but again I don't know if the bleeding is a problem and needs to be fixed sooner than later. The other thing with doing two separate surgeries, is the cost. It cost me more to do the second surgery than it did to do the cherry eye repair and spay together. This is because she had to be be put under anesthetic again, and the fluids and medications, it's cheaper to do a secondary surgery while they are already under anesthetic. I hope this helps you. Good luck and I hope everything goes well with Millers surgeries. Please keep us posted

OP
O

okedoke79

Oct 7, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Miller
Hello to both of you and thank you! He has one eye that's been affected for about two weeks now. I'm so perplexed over the whole situation and my husband thinks I am crazy. I had my girl spayed at 6 months. I trust my vet, but I feel in my heart it's too early for him. He's so small.

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Hi @okeydokey79....welcome! What is your concern about the surgery for your baby? We had our baby Apollo neutered and surgery for 2 cherry eyes at the same time when be was 5 months old. He did fantastic! The main reason we did everything together was mostly bc he has a strong or high level heart murmur so we really didn't want to take the risk of having him go under anesthesia twice or several times. If he didnt have the heart murmur we may have held out for a little longer as his eyes were fine it just didn't look cute and he got a lot of stares. The reason we would have held out is BC we have been told my several other EB owners that they don't grow fully if they are neutered at a young age. We were told to wait until he was a year old. People do ask if he's a miniature EB. He's short and small but is super strong and weighs 54 lbs...he's now 14 months.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
O

okedoke79

Oct 7, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Miller
Hi @okeydokey79....welcome! What is your concern about the surgery for your baby? We had our baby Apollo neutered and surgery for 2 cherry eyes at the same time when be was 5 months old. He did fantastic! The main reason we did everything together was mostly bc he has a strong or high level heart murmur so we really didn't want to take the risk of having him go under anesthesia twice or several times. If he didnt have the heart murmur we may have held out for a little longer as his eyes were fine it just didn't look cute and he got a lot of stares. The reason we would have held out is BC we have been told my several other EB owners that they don't grow fully if they are neutered at a young age. We were told to wait until he was a year old. People do ask if he's a miniature EB. He's short and small but is super strong and weighs 54 lbs...he's now 14 months.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

So my concern is that he is too young to be neutered and if I do the cherry eye now and the neuter later, is it better to do it that way or should I do it all at once next week. Vet says he'll be fine, but he'll only be four months old. Maybe I should just wait until the end of the month and he'll be almost five months, well, 4 and a half. I'm glad to hear your little guy did great at five months with everything. That's wonderful news. His cherry eye bleeds and it presents a problem.

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
@okeydokey79....the bleeding is of concern I would think. Consult with a vet that specializes in EB's.. And if he says he recommends to do it all now then I would do it. If you can do the cherry eyes first then do that first and then the neutering. I do think that if one cherry eye occurs in one eye, that the other is soon to follow. Our baby had his come out within the same week. We tried to push them back in but we weren't successful and that alone freaked me out. If you can wait a little longer for both, do so, but again, only if it's a vet that specializes in Eb's that give you the ok.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
O

okedoke79

Oct 7, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Miller
I was thinking I would take him for a second opinion this weekend if I can get him in. Thanks.

OP
O

okedoke79

Oct 7, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Miller
14495426_10211118060013678_5320229346706280896_n (1).jpg

Here's my pups:)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would not neuter a dog at that young age. IMO there is more harm in depriving the animal of hormons vital to growth than the risk of another anesthesia later on.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Tough call. I'm with RiiSi on one hand but with the Vet on the other...concerning the fewer times under GA the better. This decision is best left up to Mom and the Vet. I'm not sure how I'd handle it. My wife would do as the Vet suggested.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it is totally your decision, but I would not neuter at that young of an age... my vet has always told me unless there is an health issue he will not neuter prior to 8 months of age.

Good luck with your decision and I hope your babies cherry eye procedure goes well

keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.