Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Thread: Help standing after leg surgery, how to anyone?

Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brock & Brink
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Help standing after leg surgery, how to anyone?

Hi everyone,

Long story short Brock had a strong rig ht leg and weAK previously acl torn got tta surgery left leg. His right leg needed tta surgery today because his acl ruptured but now I have a problem. He is having the absolute hardest time getting up or laying down because he can't use his strong leg anymore. We tried to help him get up to go potty and ended up getting a yelp and I realized we have no idea how to help him this next few weeks until he feels healed enough to put pressure on his leg.

So since a good portion of the board has had tplo or tta surgery done on their bullies, does anyone have any tricks or tips on helping the poor guy up?

2. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help standing after leg surgery, how to anyone?

I'm not familiar w/the leg surgery, but I will tag some members for you...

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

4. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Get a beach towel or large bath towel and use it as a sling, under his belly and along the hips to help lift him. There are real slings you can buy... look online at places like Drs and fosters or Pet Edge
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

6. Likes rjisaterp, Manydogs liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member rjisaterp's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles116 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Long story short Brock had a strong rig ht leg and weAK previously acl torn got tta surgery left leg. His right leg needed tta surgery today because his acl ruptured but now I have a problem. He is having the absolute hardest time getting up or laying down because he can't use his strong leg anymore. We tried to help him get up to go potty and ended up getting a yelp and I realized we have no idea how to help him this next few weeks until he feels healed enough to put pressure on his leg.

So since a good portion of the board has had tplo or tta surgery done on their bullies, does anyone have any tricks or tips on helping the poor guy up?
    Good morning Jennifer,

TTA is similar as it too is a knee surgery. I'm sorry to hear about Brock having a difficult time. If he cannot walk, you can make an improvised litter with a blanket to carry him to his usual potty place. Then we use a towel put under the belly basically straddling the puppy/bully to support the hind legs so the puppy can potty. we then use the blanket to carry the puppy back into the house.

The leg must not be used so no jumping, climbing, running, and walking (except to go potty) for 6 weeks. Then all the aforementioned applies except for walking short distances. You will receive discharge instructions.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to shoot me a question or post here at the forum as someone will chime in. By the way...it seems to be knee week and Penny and Jewel had TPLO surgery yesterday. We get to pick Jewel up from the vet this afternoon and we will be doing all the mentioned above.

Best regards,

Roger

8. Likes 2BullyMama, Corine Pesantes liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro
    Likes (Received)

Everyone has given you great advice. If you want the doggy lift with handles, it is on sale for $16.99 at Seniordog.com
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brock & Brink
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thank you guys, I never thought about a sling since he's a boy and we'll the bully parts. He has been able to pee more of a squat but he still lifts his surgery leg up a little so I'm hoping we get a poop today. His eatting was so messed up with the fasting and being super drugged I think we may have enough digested tonight to see if I need to get him a sling or not (im not comfortable enough with the towel, I need handles)

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

How about an upside down canvas grocery bag with the sides cut out. Put a leg through each of the straps.

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

14. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brock & Brink
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thank you everyone for the lift advice. We got SUPER lucky it was just an absolutely miserable 24 hours and then magic all the proper pain management kicked in and we didn't need to help him potty or get up or down. We just lifted up and down stairs. I am however looking into the lifts for male dogs that have the little bits cut out/opening to help lift the boys in the future if something isn't right.

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads