Help standing after leg surgery, how to anyone?

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
Hi everyone,

Long story short Brock had a strong rig ht leg and weAK previously acl torn got tta surgery left leg. His right leg needed tta surgery today because his acl ruptured but now I have a problem. He is having the absolute hardest time getting up or laying down because he can't use his strong leg anymore. We tried to help him get up to go potty and ended up getting a yelp and I realized we have no idea how to help him this next few weeks until he feels healed enough to put pressure on his leg.

So since a good portion of the board has had tplo or tta surgery done on their bullies, does anyone have any tricks or tips on helping the poor guy up?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm not familiar w/the leg surgery, but I will tag some members for you...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Get a beach towel or large bath towel and use it as a sling, under his belly and along the hips to help lift him. There are real slings you can buy... look online at places like Drs and fosters or Pet Edge

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi everyone,

Long story short Brock had a strong rig ht leg and weAK previously acl torn got tta surgery left leg. His right leg needed tta surgery today because his acl ruptured but now I have a problem. He is having the absolute hardest time getting up or laying down because he can't use his strong leg anymore. We tried to help him get up to go potty and ended up getting a yelp and I realized we have no idea how to help him this next few weeks until he feels healed enough to put pressure on his leg.

So since a good portion of the board has had tplo or tta surgery done on their bullies, does anyone have any tricks or tips on helping the poor guy up?

Good morning Jennifer,

TTA is similar as it too is a knee surgery. I'm sorry to hear about Brock having a difficult time. If he cannot walk, you can make an improvised litter with a blanket to carry him to his usual potty place. Then we use a towel put under the belly basically straddling the puppy/bully to support the hind legs so the puppy can potty. we then use the blanket to carry the puppy back into the house.

The leg must not be used so no jumping, climbing, running, and walking (except to go potty) for 6 weeks. Then all the aforementioned applies except for walking short distances. You will receive discharge instructions.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to shoot me a question or post here at the forum as someone will chime in. By the way...it seems to be knee week and Penny and Jewel had TPLO surgery yesterday. We get to pick Jewel up from the vet this afternoon and we will be doing all the mentioned above.

Best regards,

Roger

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Everyone has given you great advice. If you want the doggy lift with handles, it is on sale for $16.99 at Seniordog.com

OP
Cuddles116

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
Thank you guys, I never thought about a sling since he's a boy and we'll the bully parts. He has been able to pee more of a squat but he still lifts his surgery leg up a little so I'm hoping we get a poop today. His eatting was so messed up with the fasting and being super drugged I think we may have enough digested tonight to see if I need to get him a sling or not (im not comfortable enough with the towel, I need handles)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
How about an upside down canvas grocery bag with the sides cut out. Put a leg through each of the straps.

OP
Cuddles116

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
Thank you everyone for the lift advice. We got SUPER lucky it was just an absolutely miserable 24 hours and then magic all the proper pain management kicked in and we didn't need to help him potty or get up or down. We just lifted up and down stairs. I am however looking into the lifts for male dogs that have the little bits cut out/opening to help lift the boys in the future if something isn't right.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.