jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Bufflyn (2011-2019)
image.jpegSorry everyone it seems like I have way more questions and problems then I have helpful co tributions on this site but here I go again. We took buff to the university on sept 15th they suggested we try and get her of prednisone again so weve been cutting black since then moving to a quarter a pill once a day for a week and then on Saturday and Sunday we tried no pills and Saturday she had a few bumps on her stomach show up, since then they seem to have spread pretty good. She doesn't seem too bothered by them but you can tell they are itchy. Has anyone else seen somthing like this coming off predinisone ? I'm not sure if it's just that or not ? At the same time as we went to the get due to a suggestion on here I started trying a spoon of plain yogurt at each meal. Would it take several weeks for that to cause a reaction? Or is that typical ? And to add another wrench to the problem because we were coming off the prednisone i decided to add nuvet plus to her nu joint that she's been Gettig for a long time. Has anyone had any bad reactions to nuvet? I know a lot of advise will be to do things one at at time to rule stuff out but I just want to make her feel normal especially coming off prednisone any advise would be appreciated I'll try to attach some pictures of her belly. Thanks For any help

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Im sure someone will answer your question. Looks like a rash. And dont be sorry, just ask your questions as it's the only way you will know your answer.. hang on :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That looks to be contact irritation... change anything in the bedding or carpet cleaner? Could also be from the grass... anything sprayed on the grass ?

What are you feeding?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
It appears as though Buf has allergies to something in her environment. I've read through a few of your posts and based on what little I know about Buf I recommend that you:
Start from "scratch". Stop all supplements. Stop the pred...it only treats the symptom and masks any benefit you may get from switching food.
Get her on a raw diet avoiding beef.
If you decide to get her retested for allergies go to a canine dermatologist NOT at the university. Blood test instead of scratch test.
You've tried switching foods several times with little change noted but maybe you've not run the course long enough. Typically a couple of weeks of observation after a switch is long enough but your bully is clearly not typical. If you switch foods, go 4-6 weeks before making a determination.
Please report back how things go.
Be advised that some dogs are itchy and the reason eludes all attempts at discovery. For those patients, prednisone(or Apoquel)...although long term use of pred can cause complications with an aging patient. IMO, it shortens (10% perhaps???) the life of the dog but it greatly increases the quality of that shortened life. Compare 10 years of itchy misery to 9 years of comfort. Pred does have its place.

OP
jlj781

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey guys just posting a quick update, she's back to just her normal food and the nuvet supplements. She's been itchy but not as bad as usual when she's off predisone. however her bumps on her stomach changed from bumps to kind of a different looking mark I will add a picture and see if anyone else has seen this before Just wondering if it's getting better or if it's somthing we should be further concerned with.
imagepng

OP
jlj781

jlj781

Jun 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
image.pngHopefully the pic works this way

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@jlj781 This looks like it could be Pyoderma. If so, you will need a topical,and antibiotic. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online