Dog Food to help prevent urinary tract issues

Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
My vet has recommended Royal Canin SO dry kibble, in conjunction with her medication. She is no longer on meds and doing well. Been eating this now since beginning of August. Any non RX kibble or wet that is a good in prevention of urinary issues. I fully understand that they are only opinions. She is not as eager to eat this stuff unless she is very hungry. Then she will chow it down-mostly. Can I return to Taste of Wild Buffalo?? I will say that with the RX food, she has not peed in the house or the need to pee as frequently. Thanks

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
The following all depends on what issues she had but you might check into D-Mannose powder. It is a supplement that pets can take. I have a family member who is completely disabled and it was recommended by the Christopher Reeves Foundation for UTI's. It has helped her tremendously. My cat is on prescription food because he became completely blocked and can only have wet food. I can give him non-prescription canned and do occasionally but it has to be low carb as it is the low moisture content that will otherwise mess him up. No more dry food for him. The vet said I can give him the prescription dry food but why would I do that if low moisture is a problem. That makes no sense to me. I gave him d-mannose for a while until we got his diet straightenend out. Sorry this wasn't dog specific but I thought I would pass it on.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My vet has recommended Royal Canin SO dry kibble, in conjunction with her medication. She is no longer on meds and doing well. Been eating this now since beginning of August. Any non RX kibble or wet that is a good in prevention of urinary issues. I fullderstand that they are only opinions. She is not as eager to eat this stuff unless she is very hungry. Then she will chow it down-mostly. Can I return to Taste of Wild Buffalo?? I will say that with the RX food, she has not peed in the house or the need to pee as frequently. Thanks

Whatever you do, DO NOT feed your dog that crap! Your dog is not a cow it supposed to eat meat not grains. Vets gets a % on each bag they sell and push people to buy that junk. All you are going to do is add more issues later on to your dogs health. Nyala, had that same issue and crystals at 4 months old and that warden receptionist telling me I have to put Nyala on RC. Yeah right. After making her read the first few ingredients, I asked her if my dog was a cow. That shut her up fast. I decided to Home Cook for Nyala. Today shes 1yr old and started Acana Lamb kibbles topped with liver, heart that I boil with its broth and i add turmeric, ginger but only evening meals. She still eats her turkey I boiled, fresh veggies, the broth from the turkey as it has all the minerals in the morning. I do add a bit of ACV in her water so gives her acidity in her urine, Never had issues so far. Works great! Nyala is full of energy. More than a lot of EB of same age. Like humans, you are what you eat. Well that's my belief. :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Like Pam said, the right cource of action depends on what kind of urinary issues she has or had. There are quite few different kind and what is helping one can be very bad for another.

Dayna1234

Sep 6, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Isabella
My Isabella has been placed on Royal Canine SO food and the vet said she has crystals in her urine .Does this prevent then . We have been dealing with urinary infections .We are lost Thanks

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My Isabella has been placed on Royal Canine SO food and the vet said she has crystals in her urine .Does this prevent then . We have been dealing with urinary infections .We are lost Thanks

Please please do not feed her that! I was told the same. RC is absolutely not good for any dog. Again I put Nyala on "Home cooking" 8 months ago. A month ago I introduced her to Acana. But she still gets her home cooking. Her acana is toped with organs and she's absolutely doing great. Read this link.

Company Researches 2,200 Dog Food Formulas And Finds ONLY 119 To Be Satisfactory ? iHeartDogs.com

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.