Help Needed! Interdigital cyst?

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
Hi friends!! I think Bocephus has an interdigital cyst. What can I try at home to remedy? It's been very wet and rainy here this week. This is the first time he's ever had one. I think he also has some yeast on that paw. Let me know what you guys think!
47a470aecfc6c0e108484f4facad8f1d.jpg
62226b5671b19ccc5a4fc29c304a94f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
My Joey gets them sometimes, like when it's moisty weather like you said. I've treated them successfully with a mix of Epsom salt and lukewarm water. I usually take a small plastic bag, big enough for the foot to fit in, it's easier to handle than a bowl.

I mix Epsom salt in the water till it doesn't dissolve anymore, so quite a lot. Then I dip the foot twice a day for as long as I can (cooperation issues:ashamed:) a few minutes are usually enough. It goes a way in a couple of days:)

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I stand in the bathtub with mine to soak his paws. That way I'm not fighting getting his paws in a bowl. I use Epsom salt but want to do a hibiclens soak too.

He will stay in the bath tub as long as I pet him or he has a chew toy.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
I bought some epsom today and did one dip, used a bowl, he didn't care for that. I'm going to do the bath tub or use the large bin I use to bathe him tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
If he isn't happy about putting his paw in a bowl, you might try to soak a cloth with the warm Epsom salt solution and hold it on the cyst. That is what we do with Frank because he hates to have his paws submerged and won't sit still. I just keep dipping and holding as long as he will sit still. Good luck!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Interdigital Cysts are mysterious, painful, persistent, and nasty looking. We've treated them all sorts of ways...Betagen, Veterycin, Panalog, etc. Nothing seems to work any better than anything else. I'm not convinced that any of them do anything. I think in most cases the dog's body heals itself.
One of our first rescues, however, did respond well to Panalog squirted right into the hole once it ruptured. One or two applications and it would vanish. The only problem was, it had to rupture before we could do that. Hoss had an incredible tolerance for pain, thankfully. I'm not sure he was smart enough to know what pain was.

This is a nasty one on Cocoa ready to explode! She was limping badly until it finally burst. The swelling and inflammation went all the way through her paw.

OP
Bo'sMamaGirl

Bo'sMamaGirl

Aug 22, 2012
Nothern KY
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bocephus
What are they exactly? My husband said he read it's like an ingrown hair?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What are they exactly? My husband said he read it's like an ingrown hair?

One way of looking at it... but they are usually a result of an allergy irritation. My first boy got them all the time, then we found out he was allergic to rice and once we removed it from his diet they stopped. Our girl got them from grass so we had to wipe her paws after each outing to stop them from forming

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I stand in the bathtub with mine to soak his paws. That way I'm not fighting getting his paws in a bowl. I use Epsom salt but want to do a hibiclens soak too.

He will stay in the bath tub as long as I pet him or he has a chew toy.

I forgot to mention the foot soak feels good on your feet after a long day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online