May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I noticed 5 small cysts on my 5 month old male Bully's shoulder area this week. He has been wearing a harness most of the day the past couple of months since he goes outside every chance he gets (boy loves the sunshine). I brush him several times a week and pet / play with him daily so these cysts appeared pretty quick. He had one a couple of months ago on his back (above his rear legs) that looked the same, I bathed him and then brushed every day for several days and it went away on it's on. I thought no coincidence that all of these were in the same area on his shoulder, under where the padded part of his harness is so I did some internet searches and read that there is a correlation between some dogs having cysts in the same area that they wear their harness a lot.

Just wanted to see if anyone here had experienced a similar problem or had any helpful info on preventing / treating sebaceous cyst since EB's can have really sensitive skin and are prone to allergic reactions. I know there is a LOT of experience and knowledge that read these threads so thank you for any help.

I am only using the harness on long walks with Dozer until we get this figured out and cleared up, he does Ok around the yard with just a collar (and a lot of verbal encouragement).

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
My Dozer had a cyst pop up and it slowly, over a period of 4-6 months, grew to the size of a small marble. We had it needle aspirated and it was full of what looked like dirty serum. The Vet drew off a lot of crud to the point that the cyst was about 1/4th its original size. Much to our surprise, within 3 weeks it had grown to the size of a ping pong ball. We had it removed along with another smaller cyst.
It's entirely possible that the cyst was caused by his harness. However, he was wearing only a Martingale Collar when we first noticed it(he had recently switched).....the new wife did not care for harnesses...and she knows best.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My dogs wear their harness all the time. Even though they don't-I have a fear of them getting out of the yard,and I can't grab them! Never had a problem with cysts. Possibly dogs with more oily skin may be more prone to them,or some dirt may have gotten trapped underneath.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The next time he gets any of these can you try to get a photo and post it?

OP
Old School Dropout
May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Sure, I'll try if it happens again. I just need another hand to hold his hair back and keep him still to get some good pix. They are all much smaller now and appear to be totally drying up. I've just been brushing him everyday and only using harness for short walks. These tough guys and their sensitive skin :fie:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sure, I'll try if it happens again. I just need another hand to hold his hair back and keep him still to get some good pix. They are all much smaller now and appear to be totally drying up. I've just been brushing him everyday and only using harness for short walks. These tough guys and their sensitive skin :fie:

They dry out? Does fur come off when you scratch or dies a scab form?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Old School Dropout
May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer

Scabs formed on all of them, the largest two even flaked off as they healed. It looked like hair wasn't growing on / around the two bigger ones, but now that they have gone down - not noticeable.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Scabs formed on all of them, the largest two even flaked off as they healed. It looked like hair wasn't growing on / around the two bigger ones, but now that they have gone down - not noticeable.

Can you get a picture? I'm wondering if it is a staph infection

OP
Old School Dropout
May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Oh my goodness, I never thought of that but after looking at images of some of the minor cases it does look very similar. The past couple of days he has broken out in a mild, red rash on his belly (where there is no or very little hair) so to the Vet he goes this AM. I have a 8-9 year old military spec flip-phone, not a good camera in it. My wife and oldest son have the super gadget phones; I'll see if I can get some help with pictures later with help from one of them but we will be busy getting our house hurricane ready and packing up and heading inland. Our house is within 5 miles of shoreline right at NC / SC state line.

Thank you for the help!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh my goodness, I never thought of that but after looking at images of some of the minor cases it does look very similar. The past couple of days he has broken out in a mild, red rash on his belly (where there is no or very little hair) so to the Vet he goes this AM. I have a 8-9 year old military spec flip-phone, not a good camera in it. My wife and oldest son have the super gadget phones; I'll see if I can get some help with pictures later with help from one of them but we will be busy getting our house hurricane ready and packing up and heading inland. Our house is within 5 miles of shoreline right at NC / SC state line.

Thank you for the help!

Get safe and let me know when you can

OP
Old School Dropout
May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
You know your stuff 2BullyMama, I really appreciate the help. The Vet confirmed Staph infection, long story short - walking Dozer too much / too long in the harness evidently caused the initial irritation / blisters (what I thought were cyst). The rash on his belly is Staph internally carried through his bloodstream. She gave me Cefpodoxime tablets (100mg) for him to take orally - 1.5 per day for 15 days, KetoHex wipes and Pharmaseb Shampoo. Gotta stick with the instructions for two weeks and hopefully get this all cleared up.

Now I know; I'm so thankful for this Forum, all the helpful members and exchange of information.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You know your stuff 2BullyMama, I really appreciate the help. The Vet confirmed Staph infection, long story short - walking Dozer too much / too long in the harness evidently caused the initial irritation / blisters (what I thought were cyst). The rash on his belly is Staph internally carried through his bloodstream. She gave me Cefpodoxime tablets (100mg) for him to take orally - 1.5 per day for 15 days, KetoHex wipes and Pharmaseb Shampoo. Gotta stick with the instructions for two weeks and hopefully get this all cleared up.

Now I know; I'm so thankful for this Forum, all the helpful members and exchange of information.

Staph is usually the result of a weakened immune system so make sure to give a probiotic and if he has allergies that hits the immune system si staph creeps up when allergies are high

Keep us posted

OP
Old School Dropout
May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Re: Probiotic - would you recommend plain yogurt added to his dry food? If this is this the best way, how much for a 35 lb. 5 month old? I feed him Fromm Grain-Free Heartland Gold Puppy formula 1 cup 3 x a day.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Re: Probiotic - would you recommend plain yogurt added to his dry food? If this is this the best way, how much for a 35 lb. 5 month old? I feed him Fromm Grain-Free Heartland Gold Puppy formula 1 cup 3 x a day.

Yea, teaspoon of plain yogurt

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online