Does neutering alter a male's personality?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
We have a 3 1/2 year old male St. Bernard and our three Bully girls. No one has been "fixed", so needless to say, "something" has to go, sooner rather than later. A week or two ago there was an article on here about the pros and cons of spaying and neutering at a younger vs older age. It pretty much was hands-down in favor of doing this at a little older age. So I think it makes more sense for our family, to neuter Arrow now, and wait a while on the girls. But my husband is concerned it will change Arrow's personality. He has never been bred, he is soooooo lazy and laid-back, I can't imagine we would have any big changes in him. But I told my husband I would ask everyone on here for their opinion.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson was neutered at 1.5 years old and it just made him calmer, less urge to mark or hump. He wasn't much of a humper anyway but now he almost never does it. No change in his actual personality though. I'd say if Arrow is real laid back already than not much will change.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Originally I was thinking yes when I first read the subject but no it wont change his personality since he is a laid back happy boy already. For my Cutty it changed him but that was because he was changing for the worse with his boys intact. Getting grumpy and growly etc. For us getting him fixed was out of desperation to try and fix what was wrong and it did work. In your case tho he is good as is and so I wouldnt think there would be much of anything noticeable if you neuter.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Arrow doesn't hump or mark, that would take too much energy. I can't imagine him getting any "calmer". He sleeps about 23 hrs. a day as it is.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I would say no. Our Boston was fixed and I was so hoping it would calm him a little , but he was just as hyper as ever. He was fixed at 2 when we got Cassie... he's 13 now and has slowed down a little .

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas was already altered when we adopted him at 4 1/2 months, I am beginning to think that was to young, because now at almost 2 he is very much a humper. I don't know if it changed him or not, but my guess would be not since he was still a pup.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Hmmm...from what I was always told it does make them calmer. I have to say I dont have any personal experience because I have only had females.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online