cancer in 4 yr old bulldog.. Hypercalcemia of malignancy

iggypiggy

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
My Iggy just turned 4. He is normally extremely healthy, great weight and diet, super active and again super healthy. He started drinking a lot and peeing for a long time, needing to go out more. He can usually hold it all day. After vet ruled out infections she did blood and further urine analysis. High levels of calcium were found indicating either hyperparathyroidism or cancer. Further tests showed no hyperparathyroidism so now we are left with a heart breaking cancer diagnosis. We are not sure where cancer is, lymph nodes normal and anal glands clear. We could go on a "tumour hunt" but after much reading the cancer probably wont be cured. Anyone of any thoughts??let me also add that within a week he lost 7 lbs and laid around with no energy. Not eating. Vet put him on prednisone to perk him up and give him and us some time to accept this diagnosis. Two weeks have passed and he is eating like crazy (prednisone makes him hungry) and seems to be more content. He is not himself though...does not run around like before, is not hyper ( which we miss) and does not have a lot of energy. Its like he has aged to 10. Any thoughts?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I have no experience with this but just wanted to wish you and your boy well. Have you seen an oncologist, maybe they would have a treatment plan for him. :pray2:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm SO very sorry to hear about Iggy, I don't have any experience w/cancer in dogs... but I will tag some members to see if they can help. Prednisone can make them very hungry, and give them energy... I personally hate taking it because I can't sleep. Please keep us posted on your baby, and I will be praying for both of you.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm very sorry to read this, my prayers are with you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:( so very sorry for this to be happening. I have no experience with cancer but will be sending you loads of prayers, positive thoughts and virtual hugs.

Please keep us posted on him and you.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am sending Prayers for Iggy. Iggy is Beautiful. Sending Positive Thoughts, and Loads Of Love.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I am sorry for what you are all going threw , I have lost 2 of My guys app a year and a bit ago due to Cancer , Diva was Breast cancer , it was caught when she was 7 and we did it all and got almost 4 more years with My wonderful Diva before a relapse and I lost her. Tilly just turned four when she passed to Lymph node cancer , and the same as what you are going threw re your vet and steroids and please take his advice enjoy your wonderful Iggy .
I still go to tears when I read these posts as I am now and so know what you and your family are going threw , It took Me a very long time to get over it all as Tilly went first and a couple months later Diva it was plain tough I loved them so very much. I came here and with the group of friends I had made here got threw it , There are 101 ways to grieve they say wanna bet , but what did happen with the knowledge I gained I came here and tried to help or answer questions , posted all My pics of the two of them , made new friends , cried with others that lost there Bullies , saw new Bulldogs come home here .
I finally decided to get another was the outcome of all that , Rosie . She is not Tilly or Diva she is Rosie she has all the talents of My other Bulldogs , Farts , burps , snuggles , those wonderful looks of "What Ya Doing Dad , she on her own never leaves my side in bed or out . Took a while to get there for Me everyone is different , I wear My heart on My sleeve and not ashamed to admit it .
Not sure this helps you at this time , I spent days looking for answers , reasons , was it the dog food , ect ect , I found NO answers , I just hurt a lot for to Me and maybe others a long time .
Enjoy your time with Iggy , Iggy needs to feel like everything is the same , he still needs his snuggles and treats , walks and Love given .

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Did they test his blood sugar levels too? Sounds almost like diabetes, those are the exact symptoms my cat had right before he was diagnosed.

OP
iggypiggy

iggypiggy

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
Thanks. Yes. They tested everything. Cancer was the one thing they had hoped it was not. I have now felt his lymph node in his jaw for the first time. It is quite large and thus seemed to happen overnight. Vet told me to enjoy my time with him that it is probably about two weeks. Such a horrible thing to have to accept. My family is crushed again. It is gard to look at him and know that that is all he has and eventually his main sign is loss of appetite. She told me to only let thus go on for a day. After that he will suffer. That is good to know. I dread the next two weeks but will give him the happuesy of days while we all fight back tears. Thanks for your kindness.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks. Yes. They tested everything. Cancer was the one thing they had hoped it was not. I have now felt his lymph node in his jaw for the first time. It is quite large and thus seemed to happen overnight. Vet told me to enjoy my time with him that it is probably about two weeks. Such a horrible thing to have to accept. My family is crushed again. It is gard to look at him and know that that is all he has and eventually his main sign is loss of appetite. She told me to only let thus go on for a day. After that he will suffer. That is good to know. I dread the next two weeks but will give him the happuesy of days while we all fight back tears. Thanks for your kindness.

Sending you all many hugs , support and prayers. Kiss your baby for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
iggypiggy

iggypiggy

Dec 8, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
Thank you for your insight and kindness. Iggy now has a swollen node in his jaw. Vet has given him about 2 weeks. Horrible. So hard to grasp this as he is still active and appears jealthy to outsiders. He does not run around and has not run around for a month, or really play for more than two or three minutes. Odd for him but thats the cancer i guess. He has put weight on from loss of muscle mass (prednisone) but still appears happy to be with us. He sleeps beside us every night. We have had to put a bench in our room so he can climb up to the bed. He cant "spring up" like he used to. He wants to be with us at night and of course we will do everything so that he can be comfortable and happy in his time he has left. Can't think of getting another dog ever. This will be my second dog with cancer. My lab was 13 though...easier to accept. He is irreplaceable and its going to be really tough. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Savor each day,love him all you can,and you will know you did your best.God needs another Bullie Angel to be by his side. Someday you will see him again.
In time,do not punish yourself,as you can love another. Each one is loved in their own way. I am so sad for you to have to let go, but sometimes it is the kindest thing we can do for them. Time spent with them is what WE are lucky to have. [MENTION=10517]iggypiggy[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online