Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Thread: cancer in 4 yr old bulldog.. Hypercalcemia of malignancy

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Iggy
    Likes (Received)

Default cancer in 4 yr old bulldog.. Hypercalcemia of malignancy

My Iggy just turned 4. He is normally extremely healthy, great weight and diet, super active and again super healthy. He started drinking a lot and peeing for a long time, needing to go out more. He can usually hold it all day. After vet ruled out infections she did blood and further urine analysis. High levels of calcium were found indicating either hyperparathyroidism or cancer. Further tests showed no hyperparathyroidism so now we are left with a heart breaking cancer diagnosis. We are not sure where cancer is, lymph nodes normal and anal glands clear. We could go on a "tumour hunt" but after much reading the cancer probably wont be cured. Anyone of any thoughts??let me also add that within a week he lost 7 lbs and laid around with no energy. Not eating. Vet put him on prednisone to perk him up and give him and us some time to accept this diagnosis. Two weeks have passed and he is eating like crazy (prednisone makes him hungry) and seems to be more content. He is not himself though...does not run around like before, is not hyper ( which we miss) and does not have a lot of energy. Its like he has aged to 10. Any thoughts?

2. Likes Tuneybuster liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: cancer in 4 yr old bulldog.. Hypercalcemia of malignancy

I have no experience with this but just wanted to wish you and your boy well. Have you seen an oncologist, maybe they would have a treatment plan for him.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I'm SO very sorry to hear about Iggy, I don't have any experience w/cancer in dogs... but I will tag some members to see if they can help. Prednisone can make them very hungry, and give them energy... I personally hate taking it because I can't sleep. Please keep us posted on your baby, and I will be praying for both of you.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I'm very sorry to read this, my prayers are with you.
    My smooshy face boy!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

so very sorry for this to be happening. I have no experience with cancer but will be sending you loads of prayers, positive thoughts and virtual hugs.

Please keep us posted on him and you.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

I am sending Prayers for Iggy. Iggy is Beautiful. Sending Positive Thoughts, and Loads Of Love.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg, Sophie
    Likes (Received)

I am sorry for what you are all going threw , I have lost 2 of My guys app a year and a bit ago due to Cancer , Diva was Breast cancer , it was caught when she was 7 and we did it all and got almost 4 more years with My wonderful Diva before a relapse and I lost her. Tilly just turned four when she passed to Lymph node cancer , and the same as what you are going threw re your vet and steroids and please take his advice enjoy your wonderful Iggy .
    I still go to tears when I read these posts as I am now and so know what you and your family are going threw , It took Me a very long time to get over it all as Tilly went first and a couple months later Diva it was plain tough I loved them so very much. I came here and with the group of friends I had made here got threw it , There are 101 ways to grieve they say wanna bet , but what did happen with the knowledge I gained I came here and tried to help or answer questions , posted all My pics of the two of them , made new friends , cried with others that lost there Bullies , saw new Bulldogs come home here .
    I finally decided to get another was the outcome of all that , Rosie . She is not Tilly or Diva she is Rosie she has all the talents of My other Bulldogs , Farts , burps , snuggles , those wonderful looks of "What Ya Doing Dad , she on her own never leaves my side in bed or out . Took a while to get there for Me everyone is different , I wear My heart on My sleeve and not ashamed to admit it .
    Not sure this helps you at this time , I spent days looking for answers , reasons , was it the dog food , ect ect , I found NO answers , I just hurt a lot for to Me and maybe others a long time .
    Enjoy your time with Iggy , Iggy needs to feel like everything is the same , he still needs his snuggles and treats , walks and Love given .
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

9. Likes 2BullyMama, TyTysmom liked this post
    Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

Did they test his blood sugar levels too? Sounds almost like diabetes, those are the exact symptoms my cat had right before he was diagnosed.

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Iggy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. Yes. They tested everything. Cancer was the one thing they had hoped it was not. I have now felt his lymph node in his jaw for the first time. It is quite large and thus seemed to happen overnight. Vet told me to enjoy my time with him that it is probably about two weeks. Such a horrible thing to have to accept. My family is crushed again. It is gard to look at him and know that that is all he has and eventually his main sign is loss of appetite. She told me to only let thus go on for a day. After that he will suffer. That is good to know. I dread the next two weeks but will give him the happuesy of days while we all fight back tears. Thanks for your kindness.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iggypiggy View Post
    Thanks. Yes. They tested everything. Cancer was the one thing they had hoped it was not. I have now felt his lymph node in his jaw for the first time. It is quite large and thus seemed to happen overnight. Vet told me to enjoy my time with him that it is probably about two weeks. Such a horrible thing to have to accept. My family is crushed again. It is gard to look at him and know that that is all he has and eventually his main sign is loss of appetite. She told me to only let thus go on for a day. After that he will suffer. That is good to know. I dread the next two weeks but will give him the happuesy of days while we all fight back tears. Thanks for your kindness.
    Sending you all many hugs , support and prayers. Kiss your baby for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Iggy
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for your insight and kindness. Iggy now has a swollen node in his jaw. Vet has given him about 2 weeks. Horrible. So hard to grasp this as he is still active and appears jealthy to outsiders. He does not run around and has not run around for a month, or really play for more than two or three minutes. Odd for him but thats the cancer i guess. He has put weight on from loss of muscle mass (prednisone) but still appears happy to be with us. He sleeps beside us every night. We have had to put a bench in our room so he can climb up to the bed. He cant "spring up" like he used to. He wants to be with us at night and of course we will do everything so that he can be comfortable and happy in his time he has left. Can't think of getting another dog ever. This will be my second dog with cancer. My lab was 13 though...easier to accept. He is irreplaceable and its going to be really tough. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

14. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Savor each day,love him all you can,and you will know you did your best.God needs another Bullie Angel to be by his side. Someday you will see him again.
    In time,do not punish yourself,as you can love another. Each one is loved in their own way. I am so sad for you to have to let go, but sometimes it is the kindest thing we can do for them. Time spent with them is what WE are lucky to have. @iggypiggy
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads