Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Now my poor Max has a worsening problem with his eyes. He now has a film and cloudiness over his (L) Eye. I'm thinking this could be either Glaucoma or a Cataract. In either case, I have to get him to his Vet and to his Opthamologist.

Has anyone else had this with their Bulldog ?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Now my poor Max has a worsening problem with his eyes. He now has a film and cloudiness over his (L) Eye. I'm thinking this could be either Glaucoma or a Cataract. In either case, I have to get him to his Vet and to his Opthamologist.

Has anyone else had this with their Bulldog ?

Hi Patrick, I'm so sorry you're going through this worry with Max, I haven't had any experience with this, but my female Blossom had cherry eye in both eyes, when she was 5 months old, and we had them repaired. I think you are right in your thinking that it is either a sign of Glaucoma or a Cataract. I'm thinking that it's more likely a cataract though, since cloudiness of the eye is a sign of a Cataract. I don't think that you can see Glaucoma, it has to be diagnosed by looking at the back of the lens and by a vet and or the Opthamologist. I hope max is okay, please keep us posted.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had cloudiness over his eyes. It was caused by dry eye and he is now on prescription eyedrops for the rest of his life. Cloudiness all gone! I feared the worst too. Don't panic yet!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
When I had my pugs one of them was prone to ulcers and it would start with a cloudiness but after meds it would clear up

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It does sound like dry eye, try some eye drops and see if that helps. But don't use Visine in his eyes. You can use a saline eye wash and this may moisturize the eyes.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Very sorry to hear you and Max are going through this. Mine has had bilateral cherry eye and a left eye ulcer but that presented as squinting and swelling more than anything else. I do think it's better to take them in sooner rather than later when it comes to eyes because they can take a turn very quickly. I hope you get good news from the vet! Please keep us posted! Murray and I send lots of hugs and healing thoughts your way

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
A bit more information.... Before we went to prescription drops, we used TheraTears or Systane or drops similar at his vets recommendation and his eyes did improve but he still had lots of goop (and ulcers at one point) so that's when he decided to go with a medication. We tried an ointment first but it was hard, for me at least, to get a consistant dose in his eyes and a tiny tube was very expensive. Now we are with drops (Tacrolimus) and it is much better, even though giving them to my lad can be a bit of a challenge! A 15ml bottle lasts Monty about 3 months. When I took him to the vets last week with a different issue he said his eyes looked very good.

A question, it is hard to see in your avatar of Maximus but does he have slightly droopy eyes? Monty does and according to his vet they can be more prone to dry-eye. (His is exaggerated because of his position)

Waiting patiently.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the gang --- some drops or an ointment might be all he needs. I had a rescue in my care for a few weeks and she came with cloudy eyes, after a few days of the ointment... she was all cleared up.

let us know how it goes

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online