Sedating bulldogs for trips...

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Tank is getting older and gets so darn excited on car rides. We sedated him last year and learned that ACE isn't just for surgery...and that it's a nickname. And that our vet had given us ACE to sedate our bulldogs for our trip.

Tank fought the ACE on the way to vacation...it didn't start to take effect until gosh 5 hours after it was given to him. He then it hit him extra hard...be it ACE itself...or him fighting it for so long.

So we bought some Liquid Composure from the surgeon who did his ACL surgeries in the past. But didn't find it helpful...though if a dog can fight off ACE I doubt we'll find anything that would work great for him.

He just breaths so heavy...and I worry about him. So I'll give him Liquid Composure before we actually load the jeep. So he won't know what is happening...so hopefully it will help him relax.

But was curious...anyone have anything that works real good with their bullies to help calm them?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm sorry I can't help you ... we've never had any dog that didn't just fall asleep before we even got around the first corner!! For me personally, I would be really worried about sedating Maggie or Daddy. Is there any way you could put Tank in a crate in the car??

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]
I'm sorry I can't help you ... we've never had any dog that didn't just fall asleep before we even got around the first corner!! For me personally, I would be really worried about sedating Maggie or Daddy. Is there any way you could put Tank in a crate in the car??

We have a pet divider...so he's sectioned off with Sarge in the cargo area. Liquid Composure isn't a sedation drug...but all natural. Just was curious about anyone if they sedated their dogs. My old vet actually suggested it. I thought...light sedation...my neighbors sedated their dog during storms...but they are different. And I don't plan on asking their advice.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I don't have to do that with Samson, he is always a VERY good boy in the car. He sleeps the whole time. My beagle Loki on the other hand is a total nut, she cries and will run all over the car if she isn't crated. I bought some all natural puppy calm pills to be used for one of our road trips at the feed store I go to but it didn't have any effect on Loki, she was just as wild as ever!

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION]
I don't have to do that with Samson, he is always a VERY good boy in the car. He sleeps the whole time. My beagle Loki on the other hand is a total nut, she cries and will run all over the car if she isn't crated. I bought some all natural puppy calm pills to be used for one of our road trips at the feed store I go to but it didn't have any effect on Loki, she was just as wild as ever!

Tank used to LOVE car rides...and vacations. As he's gotten older he gets so darn excited...and nervous. He refuses to go potty until we arrive and unpack. Then and only then will he go to the potty. :( I honestly don't think anything would work for him...Since he fought ACE and didn't let it kick in for so long...I'm just hoping that the Liquid Composure relaxes him maybe? That...and maybe I'll give him his dose of Benadryl...not that I notice it makes him any sleepier. Glad it's only a 4 hour trip...He may relax...with Ahsoka in the jeep he may not want to look at her and lay down. He likes her on his own schedule. And when it's not on his schedule he looks at her like he's upset that he has to share the same air with her...

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Good Day All,
I have not had to experience this with my EBD's, but I did often have this situation with Arabian Horses. My wife and I have been Arabian owners/breeders for over 20 years. Your description about the ACE is exactly what I have dealt with several times. The problem is that they get SO worked up BEFORE they get the shot/meds that the meds don't work. Once while trying to move a horse, we gave one shot, waited 45 minutes~no effect, another shot~no effect. After several shots, the vet used a tranqualizer and this barely worked. 6 hours later we finally hit the road.

SO...if you must used a sedative, as others have said, give it before they know you are leaving and give it time to take hold. It is better to give them a sedative than the trama and drama of dealing with the anxiety.

And you YOU: No Drinking and Driving!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I just wouldn't feel comfortable with having to sedate an English Bulldog. One of the reasons why its because their reaction to the anestetics. I would try purcahsing something from a Hollistic store or Natural heath store. maybe some herb that you can give. Also there are some scents that are soothing for dogs and that might be helpful. Maybe purchasing a CD with music soothing to dogs. :idea:

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Sorry no help either! When we travel Silva just sleeps the whole time or chews on her bone, she doesnt even have to go in a crate!

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=1869]ABEBD[/MENTION]
Good Day All,
I have not had to experience this with my EBD's, but I did often have this situation with Arabian Horses. My wife and I have been Arabian owners/breeders for over 20 years. Your description about the ACE is exactly what I have dealt with several times. The problem is that they get SO worked up BEFORE they get the shot/meds that the meds don't work. Once while trying to move a horse, we gave one shot, waited 45 minutes~no effect, another shot~no effect. After several shots, the vet used a tranqualizer and this barely worked. 6 hours later we finally hit the road.

SO...if you must used a sedative, as others have said, give it before they know you are leaving and give it time to take hold. It is better to give them a sedative than the trama and drama of dealing with the anxiety.

And you YOU: No Drinking and Driving!

That's interesting with the fact that your horses fought the effects of ACE as well...ACE should NEVER be given to a bulldog though...And when I learned what I had given him I was infuriated and called the vet immediately~ :angry: That is why we switched vets...I often run into the woman who run the front desk. And she is always so nice...and asks of the dogs...and was sad she never got to see the pup [Our Australian Shepherd] She has a bulldog with special needs. The breeder came in to put it down at the vet practice...and she took it home and has cared for it ever since...it has to wear diapers...She takes it to work with her so she can change them while if they need changed. I commend her for taking in a special needs doggie...Her bulldog is a sweetie too.

. :idea:
I may just give him a frozen KONG to get his mind off of traveling...Though he gets aggressive with his Kong...and Sarge will be back with him. Maybe that might not work. We typically crate them when they get their Kongs...and Tank tries to fight through the locked cage. :( OK...scratching that idea.

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=1722]Terry[/MENTION]
:up:Have you tried Benadryl? It is a very safe medication for bulldogs.

Actually we give it to him for allergies...but was told that I was not giving him his full dose. So he is more tired after he takes it...Maybe that might help with traveling. We've never traveled and gave him his full dose he was allowed to have. High hopes this works too.

Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
I would love to be updated if you ever find more information on this. My Bailey reacts the same way on long car rides and takes so long to calm down that i just stopped bringing him away and its inconvenient but am too nervous to not be able to calm him down one day. Even a 3 hour car drive leaves him panting the whole time and another hour or so to relax. If Bailey was not overweight (due to his perscription food) I would not be as worried.

Good Luck

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=1531]Lkane0322[/MENTION]
I would love to be updated if you ever find more information on this. My Bailey reacts the same way on long car rides and takes so long to calm down that i just stopped bringing him away and its inconvenient but am too nervous to not be able to calm him down one day. Even a 3 hour car drive leaves him panting the whole time and another hour or so to relax. If Bailey was not overweight (due to his perscription food) I would not be as worried.

Good Luck

Hijacking my own thread...What is the reason for his prescription food? [Just curious we used to have our dogs on prescription food and changed them recently]

I'm actually nervous to leave him with a kennel too after last year's vacation. While heading out to a trail early in the morning so it was still cool...his tongue turned a purplish black...Not sure if it was from being overly excited and the ACE wearing off or what it was... I'm torn either way...to take him or leave him. I'll let you know if I find anything that really works for me...I'm thinking "new" toy to chew on possibly...Who knows...I know Liquid Composure doesn't work the "best" but if he didn't have it would he be worse? I'm afraid to risk it...

Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
The perscription food is for bladder stones he had years ago. He is on Hills U/D and i hate it. I have been doing research for years to change it but am too nervous to have him get stones again and need surgery. Unless its a life altering surgery i will try and prevent it however possible. I have recently been trying "Vegas Stew" from this site just to combine with his food and will be weighing him soon to see if he has lost. I have been trying to get him to lose weight for YEARS! But, he is so happy and healthy otherwise and will be 8 years old in April!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.