Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sedating bulldogs for trips...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bailey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sedating bulldogs for trips...

I would love to be updated if you ever find more information on this. My Bailey reacts the same way on long car rides and takes so long to calm down that i just stopped bringing him away and its inconvenient but am too nervous to not be able to calm him down one day. Even a 3 hour car drive leaves him panting the whole time and another hour or so to relax. If Bailey was not overweight (due to his perscription food) I would not be as worried.

Good Luck

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

@Lkane0322
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkane0322 View Post
    I would love to be updated if you ever find more information on this. My Bailey reacts the same way on long car rides and takes so long to calm down that i just stopped bringing him away and its inconvenient but am too nervous to not be able to calm him down one day. Even a 3 hour car drive leaves him panting the whole time and another hour or so to relax. If Bailey was not overweight (due to his perscription food) I would not be as worried.

Good Luck
    Hijacking my own thread...What is the reason for his prescription food? [Just curious we used to have our dogs on prescription food and changed them recently]

I'm actually nervous to leave him with a kennel too after last year's vacation. While heading out to a trail early in the morning so it was still cool...his tongue turned a purplish black...Not sure if it was from being overly excited and the ACE wearing off or what it was... I'm torn either way...to take him or leave him. I'll let you know if I find anything that really works for me...I'm thinking "new" toy to chew on possibly...Who knows...I know Liquid Composure doesn't work the "best" but if he didn't have it would he be worse? I'm afraid to risk it...
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bailey
    Likes (Received)

The perscription food is for bladder stones he had years ago. He is on Hills U/D and i hate it. I have been doing research for years to change it but am too nervous to have him get stones again and need surgery. Unless its a life altering surgery i will try and prevent it however possible. I have recently been trying "Vegas Stew" from this site just to combine with his food and will be weighing him soon to see if he has lost. I have been trying to get him to lose weight for YEARS! But, he is so happy and healthy otherwise and will be 8 years old in April!

Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

@Lkane0322My friend had problems with her own bulldog and bladder stones. I would be leery giving him anything else...she even makes dog treats from the canned version...and bakes it. [Smells horrible while baking]

I'm going to have to search this Vegas Stew...but am leery of my bulldog's sugar levels dropping to much and him getting head tremors...It is better to prevent tremors and know what sets them off. And I've got ours down to a science and we're tremor free. I recall reading that Vegas Stew was originally meant for humans...and not dogs.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

The rest of my zoo:

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Anyone ever try this? It seems like a great way to ease anxiety in our babies without having to give them any meds! Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

@Chunksmama
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunksmama View Post
    Anyone ever try this? It seems like a great way to ease anxiety in our babies without having to give them any meds! Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment
    Turi...that's something I'm going to research...never heard of them before...but I plan on looking into it...thanks for the link.

The rest of my zoo:

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cadillactaste View Post
    @Chunksmama

Turi...that's something I'm going to research...never heard of them before...but I plan on looking into it...thanks for the link.
    No problem! I actually just saw an ad for it on the EBN page ... at the top where the ads scroll! Considering getting one for my mom's mini doxi ... when she comes to my house she barks like crazy! We like in an apt complex and everyone walks there dogs behind our apt building. Our whole front of our apt is windows to the floor and the whole rear of the apt is sliders (our bedrooms are on the second floor); the dogs love to watch outside but CoCo barks at EVERYTHING. Besides people always walking around, we have a lot of seagulls because we are on the water. She thinks they can hear her too! EEK!
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads