LunaLovebugBulldog

Sep 22, 2016
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
Hello everyone!

My little love, Luna, is having a bit of an issue.

Earlier this year in April she got overly excited and jumped off my queen bed (instead of using her stairs like she always does) and must've torn something in her left, front leg. Whenever you would touch or apply any pressure to it, she'd cry. :no:
Worried that it would only get worse, we took her to the "emergency" vet and he basically told us that he doesn't know what the problem is and will need to do blood work and immediate surgery and it'll be $600+, blah blah. We ended up getting some pain meds and carrying her up and down our stairs when she needed to go outside. Slowly but surely it healed and she stopped limping.

About two weeks ago, she started limping again but this time it was the right front leg. When you touch, add pressure, etc., she doesn't seem phased. When she walks it almost looks like her right shoulder is out of it's place, but she can sit, lay down, and do everything else normally. The limping usually gets worse after she's been sleeping or if she's been running around the apartment (again we've limited her stairs/walks/etc. to reduce activity). We've even tried some aspirin and rest to try and reduce the "swelling" and nothing is seeming to work. But alas, she seems fine and is eager to play fetch and run around (despite the efforts of "pleaseeeee calm down").

HELP.

Any ideas? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
My Bella got a sports injury as a pup. She was running around trying to keep up with a bigger, much more agile dog. The next day, she woke up with a limp...and she had it for months. Nothing helped her, except for NuJoint Plus Double Strength:

https://www.nuvetlabs.com/order_new2/nujoint-plus.asp?sponsorid=

I can't tell you how great this stuff has been for my girl. Her limp was really bad and pretty consistent, and now it's gone.

Also, that vet sounds horrible. He doesn't know what it is, but he recommends surgery? I'm glad you didn't listen to him.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Puppies like to jump, and many times they will injure themselves... we normally recommend keeping them calm (no rough playing) either in a crate or playpen until it heals unless you strongly feel that they have seriously injured themselves. I can NOT believe a vet wanted to do surgery w/out knowing what was wrong... first of all I HIGHLY recommend you find a reliable bulldog vet in your area. You need someone who is familiar w/the breed, bulldogs have issues w/anesthesia so the last option you would want is surgery.

Here is a great place to start looking...
English Bulldog News Forums - English Bulldog News Recommended English Bulldog Veterinarians

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

UGH -- you do need to find a good bully vet so you have a better chance of them understanding your babies needs. This placed sounded knife happy! :eek:

A lot of times they will limp and after a few days of rest (crate and leash walk only, no playing) the limp will go away. But, if they ever will not place the paw on the floor or bear weight on it, then you may have an issue and a need for surgery.

Tracey and Cali have given some good info to look into.

Good luck and share some pictures of your little one

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online