Butt Scootin Boogie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
So the hubby noticed yesterday that Chaos has been scooting a time or two on his bottom. I'm new with all this anal glad stuff. Does this mean I need to take him in to have them expressed? He is suppose to go back Monday for a recheck on his ear infection, so is it ok to wait til then or should I go ahead and take him? Also, is there a way to tell if they are full other than when they do the "butt scootin boogie"? :confused:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
For Samson the booty scooting started when he was a pup. This told us 2 things, he needed his anal glands expressed regularly (for him it's every 2 months) and he has a tail pocket that needs to be cleaned regularly. You can wait but that's up to you, if you can move up the appointment I would because obviously it's bothering him. The other way to tell when it's time for an expression is sometimes you can smell the glands, it's a really gross smell. It doesn't smell like feces, it's a different smell but still gross, nothing I can compare it to. I just track our visits so I can take him before it gets to the smelly booty scooting point LOL Same with the tail pocket I make sure to do it regularly so it's doesn't get to the point where it's bothering him.

MissBailey

May 23, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lil Miss Bailey
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FQFDOzbBVrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I hope this is helpful

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie will occasionally do the booty-scoot but it is VERY infrequent and is not done repeatedly .... I think she just has an itchy booty she can't scratch so we end up having to do it for her!

So really I'm not a lot of help!!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION]
For Samson the booty scooting started when he was a pup. This told us 2 things, he needed his anal glands expressed regularly (for him it's every 2 months) and he has a tail pocket that needs to be cleaned regularly. You can wait but that's up to you, if you can move up the appointment I would because obviously it's bothering him. The other way to tell when it's time for an expression is sometimes you can smell the glands, it's a really gross smell. It doesn't smell like feces, it's a different smell but still gross, nothing I can compare it to. I just track our visits so I can take him before it gets to the smelly booty scooting point LOL Same with the tail pocket I make sure to do it regularly so it's doesn't get to the point where it's bothering him.

I was going to suggest the tail pocket too.

Not meaning to hijack the thread...but I recall a funny story about annal glands. I'll have to post it elsewhere...so not to hijack this thread. ;)

OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
i dont think he has a "pocket". I wipe under his tail regularly and have never seen nor felt a pocket. But that doesn't mean anything as I said I am new to this. And he could very well just had an itchy bum yesterday because I havent seen him scoot at all and I have been home with him today.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yep boot scoot does usually mean they need their glands expressed although neither of my boys have ever done that ever. Go and figure. It is fine to wait until you go in Monday, no worries there. At least you will know for sure what the boot scoot DOES in fact mean for him after that.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
That is exactly how we know Vegas needs his glands done it happens every 4-5 weeks. for quite a while now. Just have them checked when you have Chaos's ears check. Some can get an external expression, but like everything else Vegas has to be difficult, he has to get an internal expression. Vegas has a little tiny tail pocket, hardly one at all, I am lucky there!!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
I know that this is a common problem in many breeds of dogs. Even some bullies have this condition as well. But before you just to any conclusions and have the glad manipulated, make sure that this IS THE PROBLEM. Could it be just an itchy bottom? They dont' have hands and the tongue is not stiff enough to really itch it. So if it is in the grass or unfortunatly on the carpet, watch to see how often it happens.
And since we are being very PC about the topic, sometimes it is just a stuck piece of .... that needs to be scratched off.

I have 4 adult EBD and only every once in awhile does this happen. I have never had the glad cleared out but I knew someone who had Daschunds that needed to be done often.

Make sure you are using a Vet that knows and UNDERSTANDS Bulldogs and not just ALL dogs~

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Silva does the butt scoot but it is very infrequent. I think it is a itchy bum so we usually scratch it and wash her and she doesnt do it anymore. She has never had to have her glands taken care of.

Terry

Jan 16, 2011
Central Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles
If you can have your vet teach you how to palpate and express the glads yourself. For the price of some gloves and K-Y you will save lots of money on your baby. It's not a hard thing to learn.

Terry

Jan 16, 2011
Central Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles
:bully: If you can have your vet teach you how to palpate and express the glads yourself. For the price of some gloves and K-Y you will save lots of money on your baby. It's not a hard thing to learn.

OP
Luvin My Bullie

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
I love him but I rather pay if need be to get that done :eek: But actually my vet does anal expression free if he sees the animal on a regular basis, and beleive me he does

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.