Do you get your bullies meds from the vet, at your pharmacy or online?

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
So as many of you may know Murray and I have been working through healing his corneal ulcer. He is done with the PO meds but still on tobramycin eye drops. The drops last a little less than a week and are $13 at the vet. Out of curiosity I googled the drops and I found that they sell them at Walmart for $4. we go for a follow up on Friday where I am anticipating we will need more drops so I wanted to ask the drop what you guys think. I definitely want to mention it to the vet and see if a. They will match the price or b. They will send the prescription to Walmart. Would love to hear from anyone who has gone through a similar experience, or your thoughts on what would be the best way for me to approach this with the vet. Thanks so much :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I know even up here in Canada vet prescriptions is priced very high. Was a big the on tv a few years ago. Telling people to go to your pharmacy instead. Same drugs!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I am maybe lucky where I live , our vet does not gouge for her prescriptions and she has them at her location , will also use holistic medicines . I only get all My guys stuff threw her as I get a far better explanation of there use and what they do then walmart or Pharmacy . That said our pharmacy is brutal cost wise and have a monopoly , the next closest one is over a hour drive, they charge for the prescription and then to fill it caching and they do it with a smirk on there face ! I would be concerned other then prescribed by My vet if the drug or drops or whatever is exactly the same as My vet,s prescription quality wise , strength wise ect ect . No I only go threw the vet for there meds no cutting corners when it comes to there health .

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Vet clinics are high... if they sell it locally I would go for that.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
It depends on the meds. Their heartworm MEDS is cheaper through the vet because he gives me coupons but brutus' Prozac I get from my regular pharmacy because the price is significantly cheaper.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
It depends on the meds. Their heartworm MEDS is cheaper through the vet because he gives me coupons but brutus' Prozac I get from my regular pharmacy because the price is significantly cheaper.

Has your vet ever given you a hard time about filling the prescription somewhere else or have you ever talked about the descrepancy in the prices with them?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Has your vet ever given you a hard time about filling the prescription somewhere else or have you ever talked about the descrepancy in the prices with them?

My vet knows better than to look at me twice. I come armed with info each and every visit we have. I have never been one who is afraid to question or challenge just because he is the doctor and I am not and he knows it. When brutus was showing signs of out of the blue aggression towards frankie, I of course set up an appt right away. The vet tried to tell me brutus was having focal seizures and he should be started on phenobarbitol to see how he does. I said wait, I really don't think it's seizures, I researched anxiety which brutus has tons of and with anxiety it can manifest into aggression so don't you think we should start with that instead of putting him on MEDS that can cause liver damage and brutus would need blood work every three months, I think that is extreme. I told him I wanted to start brutus on a low dose of Prozac to help ease his anxiety and see what happens and I wasn't taking no for an anwer. Guess what it wasn't seizures and brutus is like a brand new dog.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
It depends on what the med is. Heartworm I always get online as it $30 cheaper than my vet. Eyedrops I get from the vet (cheaper). My Doxie was on long term meds so I got that from Kroger for $4 and saved a bundle. So far, I have never had a problem with our vets giving me a prescription.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm very lucky... our vet will call scripts into my local CVS if i ask him too.

Ask them worst that happens is they say no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I use Drs. Foster & Smith for the most part because they are $ competitive, have good CS in my experience and I have never had a problem with expiration dates, shipping or anything wrong with an order. My Vet is reasonable but when ordering 6 or 12 packs of preventatives it can really add up, he has no problem signing off Rx for them. It is nice to get "just one" when needed like with a growing pup without being gouged though, really don't like when Vet practices do that.

BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I just learned last night that Wal-Mart carries meds for dogs. I was pleasantly surprised and will try there if I think they are too high at the vets.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.