What's this, y'all? (Swollen red skin and hair loss)

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I don't know what it is but Murray and I hope Bella is feeling better soon!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I suppose a bug bite is possible. I wonder if the side-effects of a bug bite would last this long.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I suppose a bug bite is possible. I wonder if the side-effects of a bug bite would last this long.

If she is allergic to that bug bite, sure. Banks got bit by a spider once and blew up like crazy

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Could it be the laundry detergent or softener that her bedding is washed in? Have you cleaned the carpet in the area where she lays lately? It may be her food...what does she eat?
Maybe she's allergic to all those kisses you've been giving her!:D

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Could it be the laundry detergent or softener that her bedding is washed in? Have you cleaned the carpet in the area where she lays lately? It may be her food...what does she eat?
Maybe she's allergic to all those kisses you've been giving her!:D

Not much carpet in my place. She sleeps on a Coolaroo and in her crates...and there's no bedding to wash. She's rarely on my bed, but I have always used Tide, and it's never given her a problem.

An allergy test revealed that she has tons of allergies (dust, mold, pork, peas, etc.), so I put her on Fromm Chicken A La Veg. (She's not allergic to chicken.) It didn't solve all her problems, but it's better than all the other Fromm flavors. She's also on apoquel. I'm at a total loss.

It doesn't seem to bother her, but it's just...there. I dunno.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I find that Ruckus and Regina can get a similar redness of they drink water and their face stays soggy. I try to wipe their mouths after they drink and eat and I find it helps. Not sure if it's the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not much carpet in my place. She sleeps on a Coolaroo and in her crates...and there's no bedding to wash. She's rarely on my bed, but I have always used Tide, and it's never given her a problem.

An allergy test revealed that she has tons of allergies (dust, mold, pork, peas, etc.), so I put her on Fromm Chicken A La Veg. (She's not allergic to chicken.) It didn't solve all her problems, but it's better than all the other Fromm flavors. She's also on apoquel. I'm at a total loss.

It doesn't seem to bother her, but it's just...there. I dunno.

Wonder if it just in the air... change of seasons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The vet just returned my follow-up call from a day ago.

She he said I should see a dermatologist, and she recommended a doctor.

I'll give them a call.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Good luck, hoping Dermatologist can ID it quickly and get Bella on the mend soon.

jcgriffin321

Oct 20, 2016
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Volt
The vet just returned my follow-up call from a day ago.

She he said I should see a dermatologist, and she recommended a doctor.

I'll give them a call.

Hey there! Did you make it to a dermatologist?
I am interested in what your final outcome was.
My 3 year old frenchie has allergies and is on a daily allergy sublingual serum- it hasn't quite been a year since he started them so I am trying to be patient and hope it helps.
I want to leave my trust in the vet but I am always curious if there's any other underlying issues that someone like a dermatologist could reveal.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hey there! Did you make it to a dermatologist?
I am interested in what your final outcome was.
My 3 year old frenchie has allergies and is on a daily allergy sublingual serum- it hasn't quite been a year since he started them so I am trying to be patient and hope it helps.
I want to leave my trust in the vet but I am always curious if there's any other underlying issues that someone like a dermatologist could reveal.

Hi, sorry I just saw this.

I did go to the dermatologist. They ran a few tests, and then they concluded that it's allergies. They gave me an expensive shampoo--which I never used. They suggested a food switch to a super bland diet...to get to the bottom of the issue...if the shampoo didn't work. In the end, the hair loss and blotchy cheek healed. I think my sweet girl just has horrid allergies with skin issues that come and go. I give her Apoquel to deal, and that seems to work.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.