What's this, y'all? (Swollen red skin and hair loss)

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Bella's face and neck have been like this for a while. First I tried Veterycn, which did absolutely nothing.

Then the vet put her on Temaril and Cephalexin, but it's not helping much at all.

She's been on Apoquel for months now, too, which has been a miracle for controlling her allergies.

What is this red, blotchy skin, and how do I get rid of it??

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That is so strange looking... is it wet like a hot spot? I'm curious is maybe it's from what she's eating or drinking and it's getting too wet...

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
That is so strange looking... is it wet like a hot spot? I'm curious is maybe it's from what she's eating or drinking and it's getting too wet...

Nope, it's completely dry. It is ​very strange.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Nope, it's completely dry. It is ​very strange.

That is crazy... I say go w/what @harveyspecter said... try the peroxide and the vetericyn spray. Do you have those duoxo wipes? I have used those on bullies too and they are pretty mild...

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I used Veterycn for weeks, and all I did was waste Veterycn. It did nothing. I'll try peroxide, I suppose.

Thanks!

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Bella's face and neck have been like this for a while. First I tried Veterycn, which did absolutely nothing.

Then the vet put her on Temaril and Cephalexin, but it's not helping much at all.

She's been on Apoquel for months now, too, which has been a miracle for controlling her allergies.

What is this red, blotchy skin, and how do I get rid of it??

View attachment 101190View attachment 101191View attachment 101192
Saw this before change eating and drinking bowl to non allergic ... No plastic

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hmm, they're both stainless steel. I'll double check everything, though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Since this is dry & only on her snout & side of face, I'm wondering if perhaps Bella's developed a
nickel allergy? Try using glass bowls to see if any difference & please keep us updated.
Sending big hugs & starting prayers over y'all, xoxo

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Since this is dry & only on her snout & side of face, I'm wondering if perhaps Bella's developed a
nickel allergy? Try using glass bowls to see if any difference & please keep us updated.
Sending big hugs & starting prayers over y'all, xoxo

Oh, that's interesting! I will certainly try that. :buddies::buddies:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

Cali...what was the Vet's dx and what is Temaril?

Not sure I agree with giving Bella Cephalexin as it doesn't look bacterial to me.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I used Veterycn for weeks, and all I did was waste Veterycn. It did nothing. I'll try peroxide, I suppose.

Thanks!

Hmm... any changes in on the ground level? New carpet, floor cleaner, or spray in the yard? To me it almost looks like something she is sniffing to get into... that is why I was thinking her food, the bowls, maybe new toys?!!

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella

Cali...what was the Vet's dx and what is Temaril?

Not sure I agree with giving Bella Cephalexin as it doesn't look bacterial to me.

Temaril is for relief of itching. The vet said she wasn't sure what is causing it. She asked me to call her back in a few days to follow-up if it didn't clear. I didn't do that, and I probably should.

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hmm... any changes in on the ground level? New carpet, floor cleaner, or spray in the yard? To me it almost looks like something she is sniffing to get into... that is why I was thinking her food, the bowls, maybe new toys?!!

Hmm, this is interesting. No new carpet. I use the same floor cleaner.

I did start spraying weed and grass killer in the yard. But, Bella doesn't spend a ton of time on that part of the yard. If anything her paws would be affected more than her face, I'd think.

I do agree that it could be something she's smelling/getting into.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We have been battling something like this with Wheezie this summer,the vet said its an allergy and sorta like staph.We've been bathing her in Sulphur shampoo putting Gentocin spray on her spots also Vetericyn but its an on going process and I'm hoping the coming winter will help..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online