Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hives on my Bully

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sully
    Likes (Received)

Default Hives on my Bully

My English Bully developed these hives about 10 days ago. See attached pic. I took him to the vet 10 days ago and the vet told me that he thought it was some kind of skin infection - like a fungal infection. He sent us off with an anti bacterial shampoo. I thought this was a bit weird, but I am not the trained vet.
    They went away after one bath. Now ten days later, they are back and worse. We are treating Sully with Benadryl. Nothing is new to his routine, other than a new Nyla toy that we have taken away at this point. They don't seem to be bothering him surprisingly. Has anyone had experience with these hive break outs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -sully-hives-jpg  

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hives on my Bully

Has anything changed in your environment? Detergents, cleaners, pest control, other animal, or even food?
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

3. Likes CCandMurray, 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFitz View Post
    My English Bully developed these hives about 10 days ago. See attached pic. I took him to the vet 10 days ago and the vet told me that he thought it was some kind of skin infection - like a fungal infection. He sent us off with an anti bacterial shampoo. I thought this was a bit weird, but I am not the trained vet.
    They went away after one bath. Now ten days later, they are back and worse. We are treating Sully with Benadryl. Nothing is new to his routine, other than a new Nyla toy that we have taken away at this point. They don't seem to be bothering him surprisingly. Has anyone had experience with these hive break outs?

Try a little milk of mag to clean the stomach to see if it is food related ? Just an idea

5. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)

I had a the same looking hives on my doberman and it was red ants. Now of course it can be something else in your case but just a thought if you have ants somewhere....

7. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    China
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

My dog had it first when we started feeding him after he recovered from parvovirus. Within 30 min after feeding he was all covered with big bumps. Not itchy, nothing bothered him. I have big suspicions that your dog has allergy. But the biggest question is what causes it. In my case radical changing food helped. Don't forget, bullies are notorious for developing with time allergy to the food they previously tolerated well. In my case I definitely observed pattern - 30 min after feeding they were worse, 2-3 hours later they became better. Never heard about fungal infection that looks like it. Not likely. I am not a vet, but I'm a human doctor. I would try to change food, may be bland diet or some hypoallergenic medical type of food. In my case doctor gave me Royal Canine gastrointestinal (I know that it is not the best, but we are in China, this was the only one medical food available at that moment) and my boy did just fine on it for some time, now we are back to Acana and everything is ok. May be try and check some good brand medical food. Hope your furball will get better soon!

9. Likes CCandMurray, Vikinggirl liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

I don't have any experience with this but my goodness poor Sully! Has it gotten any better at all with the shampoo? I would probably take him back in to the vet. Have you tried Benadryl? Bland might be a good idea too to rule out allergies, beef or chicken with rice, maybe some scrambled eggs. Good luck and I sure hope he feels better soon. Hugs and healing thoughts from Murray and I

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Hives on my Bully

Oh my... this happened to my girl a few times... once was chicken allergy and the other two were some type of bug bite/sting.

How is her breathing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)

It went away with the shampoo after first bath n not itchy and came back 10 days later? I doubt its food allergies.

13. Likes 2BullyMama, Manydogs, g8erjackie liked this post
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    It went away with the shampoo after first bath n not itchy and came back 10 days later? I doubt its food allergies.
    I agree. Sounds like a bug bite. Environmental would be more consistent unless you recently did something like cleaned the crate. I like to use this tea spray when my bully is itchy.
    3 Simple Ways Apple Cider Vinegar Can Help Your Dog - Dogs Naturally Magazine

In addition mine broke out in hives like that but I never figured out what bit him.

15. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFitz View Post
    How is she doing today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    I agree. Sounds like a bug bite. Environmental would be more consistent unless you recently did something like cleaned the crate. I like to use this tea spray when my bully is itchy.
    3 Simple Ways Apple Cider Vinegar Can Help Your Dog - Dogs Naturally Magazine

In addition mine broke out in hives like that but I never figured out what bit him.
    Im telling you either it's a fluke but my doberman I had to look at her 2-3x cause I wasn't sure it was her. That's how bad it was. It was really red ants. Same hives. And yet you can have same hives for other things. Like I said doubt it's food wont make sense if a bath n shampoo got rid of it. Has to be some sort of environmental issue.

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Im telling you either it's a fluke but my doberman I had to look at her 2-3x cause I wasn't sure it was her. That's how bad it was. It was really red ants. Same hives. And yet you can have same hives for other things. Like I said doubt it's food wont make sense if a bath n shampoo got rid of it. Has to be some sort of environmental issue.
    I realize I didn't write what I meant. It seems to be some outside source other than food unless something has changed in the house increasing to the exposure of an allergen like cleaning the crate.

19. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads