ChicagoFitz

Sep 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sully
My English Bully developed these hives about 10 days ago. See attached pic. I took him to the vet 10 days ago and the vet told me that he thought it was some kind of skin infection - like a fungal infection. He sent us off with an anti bacterial shampoo. I thought this was a bit weird, but I am not the trained vet.
They went away after one bath. Now ten days later, they are back and worse. We are treating Sully with Benadryl. Nothing is new to his routine, other than a new Nyla toy that we have taken away at this point. They don't seem to be bothering him surprisingly. Has anyone had experience with these hive break outs?

Attachments

• Sully Hives.jpg
    Sully Hives.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 2,871

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Has anything changed in your environment? Detergents, cleaners, pest control, other animal, or even food?

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
My English Bully developed these hives about 10 days ago. See attached pic. I took him to the vet 10 days ago and the vet told me that he thought it was some kind of skin infection - like a fungal infection. He sent us off with an anti bacterial shampoo. I thought this was a bit weird, but I am not the trained vet.
They went away after one bath. Now ten days later, they are back and worse. We are treating Sully with Benadryl. Nothing is new to his routine, other than a new Nyla toy that we have taken away at this point. They don't seem to be bothering him surprisingly. Has anyone had experience with these hive break outs?

Try a little milk of mag to clean the stomach to see if it is food related ? Just an idea

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I had a the same looking hives on my doberman and it was red ants. Now of course it can be something else in your case but just a thought if you have ants somewhere....

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My dog had it first when we started feeding him after he recovered from parvovirus. Within 30 min after feeding he was all covered with big bumps. Not itchy, nothing bothered him. I have big suspicions that your dog has allergy. But the biggest question is what causes it. In my case radical changing food helped. Don't forget, bullies are notorious for developing with time allergy to the food they previously tolerated well. In my case I definitely observed pattern - 30 min after feeding they were worse, 2-3 hours later they became better. Never heard about fungal infection that looks like it. Not likely. I am not a vet, but I'm a human doctor:). I would try to change food, may be bland diet or some hypoallergenic medical type of food. In my case doctor gave me Royal Canine gastrointestinal (I know that it is not the best, but we are in China, this was the only one medical food available at that moment) and my boy did just fine on it for some time, now we are back to Acana and everything is ok. May be try and check some good brand medical food. Hope your furball will get better soon!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I don't have any experience with this but my goodness poor Sully! Has it gotten any better at all with the shampoo? I would probably take him back in to the vet. Have you tried Benadryl? Bland might be a good idea too to rule out allergies, beef or chicken with rice, maybe some scrambled eggs. Good luck and I sure hope he feels better soon. Hugs and healing thoughts from Murray and I

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh my... this happened to my girl a few times... once was chicken allergy and the other two were some type of bug bite/sting.

How is her breathing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It went away with the shampoo after first bath n not itchy and came back 10 days later? I doubt its food allergies.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
It went away with the shampoo after first bath n not itchy and came back 10 days later? I doubt its food allergies.

I agree. Sounds like a bug bite. Environmental would be more consistent unless you recently did something like cleaned the crate. I like to use this tea spray when my bully is itchy.
3 Simple Ways Apple Cider Vinegar Can Help Your Dog - Dogs Naturally Magazine

In addition mine broke out in hives like that but I never figured out what bit him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How is she doing today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree. Sounds like a bug bite. Environmental would be more consistent unless you recently did something like cleaned the crate. I like to use this tea spray when my bully is itchy.
3 Simple Ways Apple Cider Vinegar Can Help Your Dog - Dogs Naturally Magazine

In addition mine broke out in hives like that but I never figured out what bit him.

Im telling you either it's a fluke but my doberman I had to look at her 2-3x cause I wasn't sure it was her. That's how bad it was. It was really red ants. Same hives. And yet you can have same hives for other things. Like I said doubt it's food wont make sense if a bath n shampoo got rid of it. Has to be some sort of environmental issue.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Im telling you either it's a fluke but my doberman I had to look at her 2-3x cause I wasn't sure it was her. That's how bad it was. It was really red ants. Same hives. And yet you can have same hives for other things. Like I said doubt it's food wont make sense if a bath n shampoo got rid of it. Has to be some sort of environmental issue.

I realize I didn't write what I meant. It seems to be some outside source other than food unless something has changed in the house increasing to the exposure of an allergen like cleaning the crate.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You have been given great advice already from members above. I agree with everyone's ideas that it's an allergic reaction of some kind, either environmental, food or insect bite. Dozer got the same kind of hives all over his body a couple of years ago, and I gave him Benadryl. It took 3 days for them to totally clear up, and I never did find out what caused them. I hope they clear up quickly, and that Sully feels better soon. These guys are so sensitive to so many things, and to any changes in their food or environment. You may never figure out what caused the hives, but they will clear up.

OP
C

ChicagoFitz

Sep 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sully
Breathing has been fine. Gave him Benadryl for about 24 hours until we could get back into a different vet. New vet told me that it most likely was an insect bite, but it's definitely an allergic reaction to something. The hives have definitely done down, but are still slightly visible. I think we are on the way to recovery. Thanks for your reply!

OP
C

ChicagoFitz

Sep 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sully
Thanks for your reply too! I gave him Benadryl until I could get him back into a new and recommended area vet. His hives definitely decreased prior to seeing the next vet, but were still present. She confirmed that it was an allergic reaction, but since he was on the mend decided against any shots and just continue with the Benadryl. Scared the life out of me though. Poor guy. Thanks again!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.