Possible tail amputation

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I took Monty to the vets today as his yeast infection was not getting better and he had suddenly become very defensive when we went to clean his rear end. Long story short, he may have to have his tail amputated. He had tail pocket surgery and the tip of his tail amputated not too long after we got him and all has been well until now. He has a bad infection. The vet says the yeast probably added to this and amputation is the only sure way to prevent a recurrence (he was recommending that without actually coming out and saying it). I couldn't see his regular vet (but all at Brittmore are good) and he suggested talking it over with his regualr vet next week when I take him back. He said I could wait and see if it happens again, or do the amputation. He has a tight screw and it can be difficult to clean although much easier than it used to be. Of course, my big concern is the surgery. If I wait to see if it happens again he will be that much older. He is now 6. I do trust my vet but I am worried.

BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I understand. My Dozer has a very tight tail and none of the vets in my area are even willing to amputate it but they all say it needs it. I am thinking of taking him to a University for his surgery and hope they don't mess him up. I have to raise the money first. His little tail just oozes and bleeds. He used to be so good at letting me clean it.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Poor Monty :( sorry to be reading this, I hope you get good news when you see your regular vet next week. Murray and I send hugs and healing thoughts your way!

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I understand. My Dozer has a very tight tail and none of the vets in my area are even willing to amputate it but they all say it needs it. I am thinking of taking him to a University for his surgery and hope they don't mess him up. I have to raise the money first. His little tail just oozes and bleeds. He used to be so good at letting me clean it.

I read your other post and I am sorry you are going through this. Life really can be tough at times. If I didn't have a good bully vet I would take Monty to a University Vet school too. My son took his dog Toby (an elderly Lab) to Texas A & M at the recommendation of my vet! After consulting with the other vets at the practice, he felt A&M was better equiped to help Toby. We both appreciated his honesty and Toby was helped. It took him 3 months to get an appt. however! I hope Dozer can get the help he needs as soon as you can manage it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As you know, we had to have Lambeau tail removed... his infection came on overnight and was horrible. We treated the infection and then had the surgery. At almost 6 if it is needed better now than when he is older.

Hugs to Monty... hoping the infection clears up quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Got Dozer an appointment for next week at the University. I am so excited. I've gotten some help, but trusting God for the rest. I'm stepping out in faith for my little guy and it is going to happen. Good luck with Monty, too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Got Dozer an appointment for next week at the University. I am so excited. I've gotten some help, but trusting God for the rest. I'm stepping out in faith for my little guy and it is going to happen. Good luck with Monty, too.

Best of luck and please keep us posted

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Really pleased to hear this. Keep in touch and let us know how things go. Monty goes on Monday to see his vet. He is still very touchy about his tail.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names

Really pleased to hear this. Keep in touch and let us know how things go. Monty goes on Monday to see his vet. He is still very touchy about his tail.

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Hope you get the help to resolve your baby's infection problems. Hugs and prayers.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Pam. I know exactly what you are going through. Bentley has a tail pocket but we clean it daily and he is doing real good. This summer has been extremely hot and we clean his tail pocket twice a day. We have had only 1 other infection since we got him and I'm happy about that.

When Jewel had her knee surgery, the vet said that while she is under the anesthesia he asked about infections of her tail pocket. We replied yes, he suggested to amputate. I am glad we did because no more infections.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Great news! We saw Monty's vet this morning and he doesn't think it is necessary to amputate the tail. The infection has cleared up (and all the yeast). He said if he has a further problem down the road he could do a little adjustment surgery to the previous surgery. He doesn't like to amputate completely unless all else has failed and we are not at that point. He thought my boy looked very good, YAY!!!!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh, Pam & Monty!...such great news, Wow!

Heck of a job too, clearing up yeast & infection is difficult.

I salute you, Pam and send y'all much LOVE.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.