brutusla

Sep 8, 2016
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
brutus
Good afternoon forum,
This is my first post as I am a new member. I had an English Bulldog , Brutus, suddenly pass away yesterday. To give you some background he was 10 years old and never had major health issues. Some minor ones such as ear wax, hot spots early in life, pinched nerve, but nothing major. Yesterday afternoon he made a couple yelps similar to what he did when he had the pinched nerve so I made an apt for him today as last time they gave him a shot and all was good. He then started panting which I figured was due to the nerve problem. I went to get a package off the porch in which he came with me. He went down the steps used the bathroom and came back in with me as always. When we walked inside he sat down while I opened the package and then followed me into the living room again as normal. When we walked into the living room he dropped like a ton of bricks all fours spread out and stiff. I went down to him and his eyes were dilated and he took a couple short breaths and was gone. I knew it was too late but I rushed him to a near by vet where they worked on him but he was gone. The vet was kind enough to run a xray for me where she could see where his nerve was likely pinched. She also showed me how he had fluids in his mid section where it should have been air. In Mid August he had his yearly check up with no issues being noted. When he passed his eyes seemed to want to pop out and when I put him in the truck his tongue was white. If anybody could share if they have experienced this before or know of a possible answer to what might have happen please do......Thank you for you time.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am so sorry to read your post, I know you are beside yourself right now with grief and so many unanswered questions. Sounds like he may have aspirated fluid (even a little vomit sometime in the past day could have caused this). Likely his heart just shut down and maybe even had a small seizure due to not enough oxygen.

Sadly Bulldogs are very resilient to pain and suffering and many times you don't know anything is wrong until it's too late- even though he may have been very ill- if he liked to follow you everywhere he probably would regardless of how he was feeling. You can try to take some comfort in to knowing he went quickly and he did not suffer too much. I know it's not a lot to hold on to, but at least he wasn't alone when it happened. Know his memory will in time bring you happiness instead of sorrow, but it will take a long time to come to terms with. Hugs to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
My sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved Brutus.

!0 years old is a great age to live to, in bully years, so you've
done an excellent job in caring for him all his life.

I agree with all that Lisa [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] has said in her post and
it's a great thing you were there and with Brutus when he died.
A great blessing to give thanks for (it might not feel like it just
now).

Please give yourself time to grieve, be gentle, kind & loving to
yourself while you mourn. We are here for you at EBN...Hugs!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry for your loss, and as Lisa said, at least he went fast ans was at home with you and not alone. I would guess his heart just gave out. His memory will live on and you will see him again at the bridge. :(

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Sorry for your Loss.

While we mourn his loss, please remind yourself too that Brutus was very fortunate to be under the care of an owner who truly loved him. :angelheart:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so very sorry to hear about your Brutus, my sincere condolences for your loss...

I agree w/everyone that it sounds like he aspirated and he could of been in pain for awhile. Bullies are notorious for hiding pain, sometimes we are the last to know when there is a problem. I had a cat that passed away suddenly in the middle of the night, she actually died on the way to the vets and they confirmed that she had a blood clot in her lungs. It happened so fast I hardly had time to react...

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
What a terrible shock for you. I am very sorry. RIP Brutus.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So very sorry for the sudden loss of your boy... rest in peace Brutus.

I lost two suddenly, no signs of illness till the day they past. Nitschke we assume was his heart gave out , his BPM were at 300 shortly before he died. With Banks we had a necropsy done and found she was bleeding internally and most likely in a lot of pain but we did not see any signs of pain from her at all

OP
B

brutusla

Sep 8, 2016
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
brutus
brutus.jpg- Thank you for the sympathies and responses...it is a shock and hard to process. Although I believe he left early he had a good life!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What a handsome boy he is, thank you for sharing him with us.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You gave Brutus 10 wonderful years and he knew that. Yes, it was sudden, but he was home with you which is probably all he needed. Not much we can say but just cherish his memories as they are right there in your heart. Brutus will always be right there beside you. Days you will cry or smile and even chuckle with beautiful memories and you will see, you will move on. Brutus will make sure you do. :angelhug:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
We had a Pug who lived to be 16 years old that started having seizures. He had one then just kind of laid there then woke up as if nothing had happened. One Saturday morning he had a seizure and just did not wake up. We took him to our vet. While waiting for the vet to come in, our boy passed away in my wife's lap. We were devastated just as you are now.

Jewel, Bentley, and the rest of our family send you our sincerest condolences on the loss of your Brutus. We will keep you and Brutus in our thoughts and prayers during this critical time of need. God Bless.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
My heart breaks for you, I'm so sorry for your loss. Rest in peace sweet boy. Such a handsome boy.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry for your loss. He will live in your heart forever.

Most Reactions