SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
My Red has spots all over. I took him to the vet they shaved one spot gave antibiotics and allergy pills. The itching is better but I keep finding more spots

He is two years old and has never had this problem before. I was gone on vacation and he was watched by my sister who has two Bulldogs both had flea issues. He was also fed different food a couple times. Anyone know why this might be happening and what else I might try to help him out

Thank you
Sue

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Can you take pics of the spots? Are they raised spots like hives or just spots of missing hair? Hives can be dangerous, but since he's been to the vet he should be doing okay... bald spots could be many different things. It could be fleas (did you seen any fleas on him?) or it could mean a skin infection such as demondex mange. Mange is manageable if you catch it early enough... did they do a skin scrape on him?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15352]SMSiegman[/MENTION] He could have flea allergic dermatitis. Some dogs are highly allergic to fleas, and just one flea can cause havoc. I would bathe him in Dawn dish soap, and if there are any fleas,you will see them in the tub. It could be the change in food, but then you would probably see hives.After bathing, you could rinse him in Avon skin-so-soft bath oil,which also will sooth his skin,and repel fleas-for a short time. Hopefully, you don't have fleas in the house already.
I have a great simple thing fleatrap.jpgA flea trap. I plug it in at night(though you could all day,too) it is just a night light bulb,and comes with sticky paper,that you put in it. any bugs that are in the house,will be attracted to the light/heat from it. I love this simple thing!!!

OP
S

SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
The spots were only raised because of the scabs. He doesn't have any fleas on him but my sister
dogs had lots of fleas. I looked again and the spot on the neck does feel like it could be raised a little bitimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I gave him a bath yesterday with Avo Derm and found quite a few more spots that looked the same.

Do hives get scabs? The area on his neck was the biggest spot and my sister said it popped open and puss came out. When I got home about a week later I took him to the vet. Me was also rubbing his butt on the ground which he has never done before

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I am no vet, but it looks like your Red has Pyoderma, which was caused from him scratching so much,from the fleas,then causes an infection. As for rubbing his butt, he either needs his anals expressed, or has bites there, as fleas like to gather there,also. If it were my dog, I would continue with the antibiotics, and get some NuStock( online,or at horse supply) and put it on the sores. Your poor boy-he is suffering from those damn fleas! Her house must be infested! [MENTION=15352]SMSiegman[/MENTION]

OP
S

SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
Thank you so much for replying. He hasn't been scratching but I keep finding spots. Ugh I will purchase what you suggested

Was using Betagen but this other might be better.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor baby... he must be miserable--- hope he heals up quick.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] gave you great advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.