CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
So, midway through the night last night Murray figures out how to remove and start chewing his now second soft e collar from the vet and pawing at his eye. So I did what I did with his first one and sewed it in and he didn't like that at all and was very bad and bit me as I was putting the cone back on/putting a drop in so I very firmly said 'NO! bad boy' to him and lightly tapped his mouth which I know was probably not the best way to handle the situation and not to make excuses but was 3am and we were both getting frustrated. Even after sewing it in I felt like the soft e collar was flopping out away from his face towards his back/shoulders and I kept having to adjust it so back to petco we went and got another soft collar like this one https://www.amazon.com/ZenPet-ProCone-E-Collar-Dogs-Cats/dp/B00XN0XYNE/ref=lp_12688654011_1_4?srs=12688654011&ie=UTF8&qid=1473122354&sr=8-4 he did fine with it in the store but now after he's had his dinner and trying to settle down he's getting mad about it. I feel bad, I don't like that he has to have it on but I know it's for his own good I just hope and pray to God that by the time Friday morning comes around the vet says he's healed enough to take it off

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Ugh...I feel so bad for y'all and hope the same by Friday's visit.

Yes, it IS for his own good and hang in there, Carolyn, don't give
in! Can you crate him so he can't move around much? Had to do
this with Cami for several weeks when she injured her leg & Vet
said surgery!...it had to be or else...it was so hard to be firm but
I made her stay in there except for feeding & potty. As a result,
she healed & no surgery...Yay!

Praying now that he settles down & Friday gets here asap and he's
healed too. Hugs, my dear friend...xoxo

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I was thinking of crating him but he hasn't been crated here since he was a puppy. Occasionally when my parents watch him he stays in my old room with the crate in it, the crate door is open but the bedroom door is closed and he does fine there but usually sleeps on my old bed. if he doesn't calm down by tomorrow evening I will probably crate him :(

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Oh Carolyn, so sorry you're both going through this! Can you give him Benadryl to calm him temporarily? Or maybe a thundershirt? I'm praying for you both! Love and hugs Susan

I was thinking of crating him but he hasn't been crated here since he was a puppy. Occasionally when my parents watch him he stays in my old room with the crate in it, the crate door is open but the bedroom door is closed and he does fine there but usually sleeps on my old bed. if he doesn't calm down by tomorrow evening I will probably crate him :(

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Oh Carolyn, so sorry you're both going through this! Can you give him Benadryl to calm him temporarily? Or maybe a thundershirt? I'm praying for you both! Love and hugs Susan
Thanks [MENTION=8888]Jersey[/MENTION] I am going to give him some Benadryl before bed. I don't know a whole lot about the thunder shirt but I do know he hates wearing clothing I might try calming composure supplements

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Adaptil... i used it fir Banks by spraying in the car where she sat-- it helped a little. Worth a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I,too bought one of those black "soft" collars. It was worse than the collar that comes from the vet-hot and dark. I am sorry you are having such trouble [MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] but it won't be too much longer. If it is, ask your vet for something to calm Murray. Sending hugs for you and Murray.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
So sorry to hear Murray doesn't like the collar - hopefully he will be ok soon so he won't need it anymore! Castor sends his best wishes!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
"I am going to give him some Benadryl"

Just read to NOT give this if having eye issues as it will
dry out the eye too much.

Makes sense & good advice, I'd never thought about it!

Please give Murray kisses & soft hugs from Cami & me.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Oh my goodness I never would have thought! I'd only given it to him the first few days fortunately because I ran out. I did give him some of those calming chews last night and am so glad I did because he slept like a rock! Going to give him some more before I leave for work. Thanks for thinking of us :) hope you have a great day
"I am going to give him some Benadryl"

Just read to NOT give this if having eye issues as it will
dry out the eye too much.

Makes sense & good advice, I'd never thought about it!

Please give Murray kisses & soft hugs from Cami & me.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Murray just wanted to say greetings from the cone to all our EBN friends image.jpeg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] Well, looks like that cone lets some light in! The black one I had was all dark-didn't even use it. From what I can see,Murray,your eye looks pretty good! I still don't see a smile on your face-that stupid cone,eh Murray?! One more day?

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
How is Mr. Murray doing today?

It's not been a great appointment so far :( Murray did have a little bit of a set back last Sunday when he had managed to get the vet issued e collar off and chewed and scratched at his eye with his paw so the vet says it's only looking a teeny bit better from last Saturday. They're keeping him and going to sedate him and look at the tissue/cells to see what's going on and if the new cells are not coming in properly in the corner of his eye so it's not healing right. The good news is that the vet who did his cherry eye surgery is also there today and will be looking at it as well. I'm so frustrated right now, I feel like he's gone through so much with his eyes and I feel like it's my fault that he got the collar off last weekend and if that hadn't happened he'd be fine by now. They said they have some appointments this morning so they won't get to do it until noon, I'll keep you guys posted when I have an update. Positive thoughts and prayers are always appreciated by Murray and I.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online