Help! Need advice please Squinting/not opening eye after cherry eye surgery

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Oh my our bullies and their eyes..I'm so glad you went right into the vet and I pray Murray has a great rest of his recovery with no more problems..

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Oh my our bullies and their eyes..I'm so glad you went right into the vet and I pray Murray has a great rest of his recovery with no more problems..

Thanks Christie :) have any of your guys had corneal ulcers?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hi guys, just got home from the vet. Murray has a corneal ulcer, it is apparently unrelated to the cherry eye she looked and was able to see no problems with the placement of the suture from the cherry eye repair, so that's good. Unfortunately the vet that did Murray's surgery is on vacation this week so we had a different vet, but she was fine. They sent us home with a new soft collar, apparently he can still bump his eye into things with the blow up one :( pain meds, antibiotic and tobramycin drops and we go for a follow up on Saturday. She said if it looks worse to bring him back right away but I am hopeful we will be good with just the follow up on Saturday and would appreciate your thoughts and prayers that he heals quickly. The vet said hopefully he should be to the point where he stops squinting around Wednesday. If anyone has experience with corneal ulcers I would love to talk with you more about it. Thanks so much :)

My guys have had corneal ulcers, just make sure he doesn't rub his eye on anything. The one drop numbs their eye so he shouldn't be wanting to rub it on anything, to be honest the eye is extremely resilient. Normally it heals up pretty quickly, just make sure to use those drops!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@CCandMurray Glad he has seen the Dr. If you have trouble with getting him to let you put the drops in, I use peanut butter as a treat sometimes(if no allergy) all I have to say is "peanut butter" and they all come running to the kitchen! They love that more than anything! Sending healing prayers for Murray.He will be fine-the drops will heal.:)

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
No thank goodness..Even with all of Abbott's entropion issues it never left a scratch or ulcer.Thankfully since he's had about 5 surgeries but we do notice that when its dark out or in a room he can't see as well.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I'm a little concerned because while it's starting to look a little better and his eye is open much more it still seems very swollen, if he hasn't made more progress by tomorrow I will probably take him back in. Please continue to pray for us. Thank you for your support :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Definitely praying for Murray I hope the medicine works and you see improvement overnight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] thanks Jess :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm a little concerned because while it's starting to look a little better and his eye is open much more it still seems very swollen, if he hasn't made more progress by tomorrow I will probably take him back in. Please continue to pray for us. Thank you for your support :)

When Cheli scratched his cornea, it looked worse before it got better. I was so worried we did not get to it in time, but then on like the 3rd day of meds, he woke up and it looked great. I hope it strats to get better fast.... hugs to you and Murray

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] Hoping that Murray's eyes is looking somewhat better today:pray:Feel better sweet Murray!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] Hoping that Murray's eyes is looking somewhat better today:pray:Feel better sweet Murray!
Thanks so much :) it's looking a bit better today or this morning when I left, hoping that it continues to look better when I get home from work tonight I will keep you posted :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks so much :) it's looking a bit better today or this morning when I left, hoping that it continues to look better when I get home from work tonight I will keep you posted :)

It will, Honey, those meds work magic, you'll see!

Looks terrible and we worry so when they aren't well
and fear squeezes our hearts, just can't help it, I've
been there, calm concerning MY scary illnesses & in
the hospital or going into surgeries BUT let it be my
babies, I go to pieces! Think it's because they can't
talk and answer our questions about the problem.

Try & breathe and not think about the 'what ifs' and
trust in the meds working each minute on him and
his eye healing a bit more each minute passing by.
Saying prayers for him & sending hugs of hope &
peace & comfort to you <3

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
It will, Honey, those meds work magic, you'll see!

Looks terrible and we worry so when they aren't well
and fear squeezes our hearts, just can't help it, I've
been there, calm concerning MY scary illnesses & in
the hospital or going into surgeries BUT let it be my
babies, I go to pieces! Think it's because they can't
talk and answer our questions about the problem.

Try & breathe and not think about the 'what ifs' and
trust in the meds working each minute on him and
his eye healing a bit more each minute passing by.
Saying prayers for him & sending hugs of hope &
peace & comfort to you <3
Thanks so much Carol :) the one kind of weird thing that I've noticed is that when I come home from work or wake up in the morning it looks good before I put the drops in and then I put the drops in and then I feel like it looks a little worse intitially and then looks better which seems odd to me but as long as I continue to see progress should be ok I'm hoping!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
There is so many posts in this thread I'm just going to answer (hopefully Murray is already better!) but yes, anytime a dog squints it is a sign of eye PAIN! So that means it hurts like hell and does require immediate attention. Scratches or Ulcers are serious business.... and after a cherry eye surgery my guess would be either just an irritation or he rubbed his eye with his paw or on the wall/couch/ect. and could have scratched it. Dry eye is a possibility but that doesn't really cause squinting.

My Molly has dry eye and one day (years ago) I saw her eye got cloudy so I took her in to find out she had 2 ulcers- so dry eye dogs are actually quite used to feeling irritated in their eye, and hers so much that she never even gave us any inclination she had a problem. Her vision was permenently damaged from not getting it treated right away.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Thanks @ bullmama. It looks a little better today, and thankfully he's not squinting. I did get to speak to the vet today and asked about it looking a little worse initially after I give him the drops and she said that this pretty common because the drops can feel irritating for them but that they work really well. I've been a nervous wreck throughout this process but am starting to feel like we are heading in in the right direction with it :) thank you to all my EBN friends for your support through this and everything else my life is definitely better having you guys in it! Hugs from Murray and I
There is so many posts in this thread I'm just going to answer (hopefully Murray is already better!) but yes, anytime a dog squints it is a sign of eye PAIN! So that means it hurts like hell and does require immediate attention. Scratches or Ulcers are serious business.... and after a cherry eye surgery my guess would be either just an irritation or he rubbed his eye with his paw or on the wall/couch/ect. and could have scratched it. Dry eye is a possibility but that doesn't really cause squinting.

My Molly has dry eye and one day (years ago) I saw her eye got cloudy so I took her in to find out she had 2 ulcers- so dry eye dogs are actually quite used to feeling irritated in their eye, and hers so much that she never even gave us any inclination she had a problem. Her vision was permenently damaged from not getting it treated right away.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.