Help! Need advice please Squinting/not opening eye after cherry eye surgery

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Did Nyala have a problem with the stitch? If so did the vet do anything aside from the drops?

how is she this morning? I was thinking cornea scratch too, but when Cheli had his eye entire eye swelled shut and he could barely open it

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hi guys, he's doing ok but his eye looks much more swollen he's got it closed right now I tried to get a picture but it's not a great one. Soo needless to say we have an appointment with the vet at 1:30. Your positive thoughts, advice and prayers are appreciated as always. Thanks for the continued support :)

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Here's the not great picture image.jpeg

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
So glad you were able to get Murray to the vet today, keep us posted and sending warm, positive thoughts and praying for a good outcome! Poor sweet guy, give him a smooshy face kiss from Jersey and me!!! :heartsign:

Hi guys, he's doing ok but his eye looks much more swollen he's got it closed right now I tried to get a picture but it's not a great one. Soo needless to say we have an appointment with the vet at 1:30. Your positive thoughts, advice and prayers are appreciated as always. Thanks for the continued support :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So sorry I am late on this-but would recommend the vet visit,as you have already made appt.! It sounds like he has scratched his eye,Best wishes for his healing,and he probably will need the cone for awhile. They can easily scratch their eye with dew claws,as they itch when they are healing.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh no! My poor Murray, I have no experience with cherry eye specifically. I know that warm compresses with tea bags work well, I've done that with Tyson's just basic eye allergies. I hope he feels better soon!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hi guys, just got home from the vet. Murray has a corneal ulcer, it is apparently unrelated to the cherry eye she looked and was able to see no problems with the placement of the suture from the cherry eye repair, so that's good. Unfortunately the vet that did Murray's surgery is on vacation this week so we had a different vet, but she was fine. They sent us home with a new soft collar, apparently he can still bump his eye into things with the blow up one :( pain meds, antibiotic and tobramycin drops and we go for a follow up on Saturday. She said if it looks worse to bring him back right away but I am hopeful we will be good with just the follow up on Saturday and would appreciate your thoughts and prayers that he heals quickly. The vet said hopefully he should be to the point where he stops squinting around Wednesday. If anyone has experience with corneal ulcers I would love to talk with you more about it. Thanks so much :)

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Better picture of the eye image.jpegimage.jpeg

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Carolyn...Honey, I don't have any experience with this but Murray
should be fine with what the Vet gave him & feeling much better.
Got to praying immediately for him to heal completely and big hugs
for you! Keep us updated on your sweet boy, you did exactly right!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
One of my pugs was prone to them and they did heal good with the ointment and collar to stop them itching I was always told to not let them in the sun with the ointment not sure if the same ointment but thought I would mention that one.
Give a Murray a big kiss from FTSE and me.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Crap I typed your message 3x keeps deleting on its own like backspacing cause Ms Muffet had part of her paw on the side of the tablet. Lol

On 4th time....... Big M will be fine. He's a tuff cookie. Im pretty sure like your vet said by Wednesday you will see a difference. Hang in there momma M. Keep us posted. :)

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Thank you everyone :) he's snoozing right now, going to wake him up shortly for round one of drops and then dinner I hope he's cooperative! He hates eye drops/ointment but hopefully he'll be less mad once he sees his dinner right after and he'll forget all about it

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Hi guys, just got home from the vet. Murray has a corneal ulcer, it is apparently unrelated to the cherry eye she looked and was able to see no problems with the placement of the suture from the cherry eye repair, so that's good. Unfortunately the vet that did Murray's surgery is on vacation this week so we had a different vet, but she was fine. They sent us home with a new soft collar, apparently he can still bump his eye into things with the blow up one :( pain meds, antibiotic and tobramycin drops and we go for a follow up on Saturday. She said if it looks worse to bring him back right away but I am hopeful we will be good with just the follow up on Saturday and would appreciate your thoughts and prayers that he heals quickly. The vet said hopefully he should be to the point where he stops squinting around Wednesday. If anyone has experience with corneal ulcers I would love to talk with you more about it. Thanks so much :)

That's what Harvey had, a corneal ulcer. This is what I was thinking when I saw your original post. With the drops, ointments and the antibiotics and the whole cocktail of medication, Murray should be back to his old self in no time. He should be fine.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.