Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Help! Need advice please Squinting/not opening eye after cherry eye surgery

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help! Need advice please Squinting/not opening eye after cherry eye surgery

Definitely praying for Murray I hope the medicine works and you see improvement overnight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

2. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help! Need advice please Squinting/not opening eye after cherry eye surgery

@TyTysmom thanks Jess

4. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CCandMurray View Post
    I'm a little concerned because while it's starting to look a little better and his eye is open much more it still seems very swollen, if he hasn't made more progress by tomorrow I will probably take him back in. Please continue to pray for us. Thank you for your support
    When Cheli scratched his cornea, it looked worse before it got better. I was so worried we did not get to it in time, but then on like the 3rd day of meds, he woke up and it looked great. I hope it strats to get better fast.... hugs to you and Murray
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

6. Likes CCandMurray, Texas Carol, Jersey liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@CCandMurray Hoping that Murray's eyes is looking somewhat better todayFeel better sweet Murray!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

8. Likes CCandMurray, Jersey liked this post
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @CCandMurray Hoping that Murray's eyes is looking somewhat better todayFeel better sweet Murray!
    Thanks so much it's looking a bit better today or this morning when I left, hoping that it continues to look better when I get home from work tonight I will keep you posted

10. Likes Texas Carol, Jersey, helsonwheels liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Thanks so much it's looking a bit better today or this morning when I left, hoping that it continues to look better when I get home from work tonight I will keep you posted
    It will, Honey, those meds work magic, you'll see!

Looks terrible and we worry so when they aren't well
    and fear squeezes our hearts, just can't help it, I've
    been there, calm concerning MY scary illnesses & in
    the hospital or going into surgeries BUT let it be my
    babies, I go to pieces! Think it's because they can't
    talk and answer our questions about the problem.

Try & breathe and not think about the 'what ifs' and
    trust in the meds working each minute on him and
    his eye healing a bit more each minute passing by.
    Saying prayers for him & sending hugs of hope &
    peace & comfort to you <3

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

12. Likes CCandMurray, Jersey liked this post
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    It will, Honey, those meds work magic, you'll see!

Looks terrible and we worry so when they aren't well
    and fear squeezes our hearts, just can't help it, I've
    been there, calm concerning MY scary illnesses & in
    the hospital or going into surgeries BUT let it be my
    babies, I go to pieces! Think it's because they can't
    talk and answer our questions about the problem.

Try & breathe and not think about the 'what ifs' and
    trust in the meds working each minute on him and
    his eye healing a bit more each minute passing by.
    Saying prayers for him & sending hugs of hope &
    peace & comfort to you <3
    Thanks so much Carol the one kind of weird thing that I've noticed is that when I come home from work or wake up in the morning it looks good before I put the drops in and then I put the drops in and then I feel like it looks a little worse intitially and then looks better which seems odd to me but as long as I continue to see progress should be ok I'm hoping!

14. Likes Jersey liked this post
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

There is so many posts in this thread I'm just going to answer (hopefully Murray is already better!) but yes, anytime a dog squints it is a sign of eye PAIN! So that means it hurts like hell and does require immediate attention. Scratches or Ulcers are serious business.... and after a cherry eye surgery my guess would be either just an irritation or he rubbed his eye with his paw or on the wall/couch/ect. and could have scratched it. Dry eye is a possibility but that doesn't really cause squinting.

My Molly has dry eye and one day (years ago) I saw her eye got cloudy so I took her in to find out she had 2 ulcers- so dry eye dogs are actually quite used to feeling irritated in their eye, and hers so much that she never even gave us any inclination she had a problem. Her vision was permenently damaged from not getting it treated right away.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

16. Likes CCandMurray, Texas Carol, Jersey liked this post
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Thanks @ bullmama. It looks a little better today, and thankfully he's not squinting. I did get to speak to the vet today and asked about it looking a little worse initially after I give him the drops and she said that this pretty common because the drops can feel irritating for them but that they work really well. I've been a nervous wreck throughout this process but am starting to feel like we are heading in in the right direction with it thank you to all my EBN friends for your support through this and everything else my life is definitely better having you guys in it! Hugs from Murray and I
    Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    There is so many posts in this thread I'm just going to answer (hopefully Murray is already better!) but yes, anytime a dog squints it is a sign of eye PAIN! So that means it hurts like hell and does require immediate attention. Scratches or Ulcers are serious business.... and after a cherry eye surgery my guess would be either just an irritation or he rubbed his eye with his paw or on the wall/couch/ect. and could have scratched it. Dry eye is a possibility but that doesn't really cause squinting.

My Molly has dry eye and one day (years ago) I saw her eye got cloudy so I took her in to find out she had 2 ulcers- so dry eye dogs are actually quite used to feeling irritated in their eye, and hers so much that she never even gave us any inclination she had a problem. Her vision was permenently damaged from not getting it treated right away.

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

Hi guys! I'm hoping you can help before I go in full blown panic mode. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Murray had cherry eye surgery a few weeks ago and tonight he's squinting and at times not opening his eye and I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone been through this before????
    Same thing happened to Tyson with his first surgery. The vet mentioned some times the knot placed in the melt away suture can irritate them and you also have the possibility that they can have an allergic reaction to the suture. You know these babies never make it easy. He ended up having to remove Ty's suture because for some reason the damn thing never melted away. If you still have the post-op ointment use it until you see the vet. That way the eye will stay moist and not become ulcerated. Good luck! Sending you both prayers and love. It's really hard to watch them struggle with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

19. Likes CCandMurray, Texas Carol, Jersey liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@CCandMurray Hoping to hear that Murray is making continued progress,and his eye is doing and feeling better! Continued prayers for you both!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

21. Likes CCandMurray, Texas Carol, Jersey liked this post
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @CCandMurray Hoping to hear that Murray is making continued progress,and his eye is doing and feeling better! Continued prayers for you both!
    Thanks for the prayers! He's doing ok. I had a brief moment of panic when I came home from work tonight to discover he outsmarted the soft cone but the joke is on him because I sewed it into his collar! It's looking a little better, still not great but the vet said that it would take longer for it to heal since his eye was still recovering from the cherry eye surgery I am hopeful that we are headed out of the woods and that the vet has good news for us on Saturday at the follow up. Thanks so much for checking in and thinking of us

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Remove Ads