Help! Need advice please Squinting/not opening eye after cherry eye surgery

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hi guys! I'm hoping you can help before I go in full blown panic mode. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Murray had cherry eye surgery a few weeks ago and tonight he's squinting and at times not opening his eye and I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone been through this before????

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah crap! [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=8888]Jersey[/MENTION] @rjisayerp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I'm wondering if I should try to put some of the ointment left over from his surgery in it or drops or a warm or cold compress? I'm afraid to touch it too much I don't want to do anything to make it worse. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] I gave him a Benedryl after reading your other post he's sleepy and snuggling close to me now

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Hi Carolyn, So sorry to hear Murray is having problems. I have no personal experience with cherry eye or the surgery but I found this article. Hope it helps! Prayers for Murray.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=12554]harveyspecter[/MENTION] have you had experience with corneal scratches? If so, what can I expect to happen

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Carolyn after FTSE had his cherry eye surgery I'm sure I had to pout drops in for a time not sure how long and I do remember panicking as I'm thinking ten days after it looked like the cherry eye had popped back out all I remember feeling absolutely distraught that he had gone through surgery and then this but I just had to give drops and all has been good since but can't remember if he w as squinting as it was four years ago but maybe give the vet a ring to speak with them

Hope it all sorts itself out

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Thanks Julie :) I'm completely freaked out, when Murray had his other one operated on in December it was pretty much smooth sailing *knock on wood* and I'm just worried thinking about the worst like surgery again or that something is seriously wrong with his eye :( I'm going to call the vet first thing in the morning. In the meantime I've put the blowup collar back on so I'm pretty sure he's hating me for that and I put some ointment in, I tried the warm compress for a little bit but he didn't tolerate it for long
Carolyn after FTSE had his cherry eye surgery I'm sure I had to pout drops in for a time not sure how long and I do remember panicking as I'm thinking ten days after it looked like the cherry eye had popped back out all I remember feeling absolutely distraught that he had gone through surgery and then this but I just had to give drops and all has been good since but can't remember if he w as squinting as it was four years ago but maybe give the vet a ring to speak with them

Hope it all sorts itself out

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I'm wondering if I should try to put some of the ointment left over from his surgery in it or drops or a warm or cold compress? I'm afraid to touch it too much I don't want to do anything to make it worse. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] I gave him a Benedryl after reading your other post he's sleepy and snuggling close to me now

It can be the stitch. When Nyala had hers tuck the vet said if she squint to bring her back so he can check it out. She had 2 different kind of drops for ten days 3x per day. To this day I find the eye does leak a bit more.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
It can be the stitch. When Nyala had hers tuck the vet said if she squint to bring her back so he can check it out. She had 2 different kind of drops for ten days 3x per day. To this day I find the eye does leak a bit more.
Did Nyala have a problem with the stitch? If so did the vet do anything aside from the drops?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Did Nyala have a problem with the stitch? If so did the vet do anything aside from the drops?

No she didn't but he sure made it very clear for next 5 days if her eye gets foggy, squinting, leaking alot to bring her in immediately. Especially foggy.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sorry hon, I was out of town this weekend...

Sounds like a trip to the vets is necessary... could be a stick is bothering him, or he scratched his eye as other have stated. Corneal tears are not bad IF you take them and get treated ASAP... they put dye in their eye to see how bad the scratch is, and then it's usually just drops to help it heal. Keep us posted!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online