Thread: Strange Behavior from Winston

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Default Strange Behavior from Winston

Hi all

Wondered if anyone could shed some light as an stumped.

For the past three days Winston has barely touched any food and does not seem himself. I put it down to the hot weather or possibly the recent change in his diet. However in an effort to get him to eat i gave him some mince (literally his favourite food). Yet he barely touched it.

He has been a bit withdrawn and keeping himself to himself. Although has still enjoyed his daily walk.

I took him to the vet yesterday, who checked his temp. Slighlty raised but expected given the hot weather. He is hydrated and he had his anal glands bled slightly. She was stumped as he has not been sick. Although he did poo and wee in the house the other night which is very unlike him. Was advised to take him home and if over a few days he does not resume eating to take him back.

I have also noticed that he seems to have an itchy bum or something. As he almost seems to be spinning round trying to get his head to it. To relieve irritation? I have had a look but cannot see anything obvious in that area.

I am starting to get concerned as this really isnt like him and he must be starving. Does anyone have an idea of what may be wrong?

Many thanks and kind regards
    Big Winston

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Strange Behavior from Winston

Have you checked his tail pocket? I would hope your vet did, but if the vet is not a good bully vet, they may not have thought of it. If you do not know, it is the area under hid tail and there is a pocket there that can get infected and that is what he is trying to get at. Get an unscented baby wipe and run your finger with the wipe under his tail and try to clean out the picket. You may get some gunk out of there. If so clean it the best you can and if it is too bad, get some ointment from the vet for it.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

3. Likes 2BullyMama, ddnene, TyTysmom liked this post
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Thank you will try that in a minute and let you know how i get on. Also could this be affecting his appetite or is it probably unrelated?
    Big Winston

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Just checked. Tail pocket looks fine. Am so stumped. Just tried him on some tuna and he at 3 quarters of it then left it. Usually he would destroy anything in his bowl in seconds...
    Big Winston

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Kingdoey Is there any possibility that he may have swallowed something? A sock,a glove, toy parts,or found something outside--sounds like he may have an obstruction....
    One of mine threw up a glove-don't know where she found it, didn't know she swallowed it,I got lucky that she vomited it up!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

7. Likes 2BullyMama, TyTysmom liked this post
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @Kingdoey Is there any possibility that he may have swallowed something? A sock,a glove, toy parts,or found something outside--sounds like he may have an obstruction....
    One of mine threw up a glove-don't know where she found it, didn't know she swallowed it,I got lucky that she vomited it up!
    Theres always a possibility of that i suppose. The vet thought that and felt all his stomach and seemed satisfied there was nothing there?
    Big Winston

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

It seems to me,if it was something soft,and not balled up,I don't know if it could be felt. He may need an ultra sound,or some xrays might show.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

10. Likes 2BullyMama, TyTysmom liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdoey View Post
    Hi all

Wondered if anyone could shed some light as an stumped.

For the past three days Winston has barely touched any food and does not seem himself. I put it down to the hot weather or possibly the recent change in his diet. However in an effort to get him to eat i gave him some mince (literally his favourite food). Yet he barely touched it.

He has been a bit withdrawn and keeping himself to himself. Although has still enjoyed his daily walk.

Also the head spinning could be ear infection??

I took him to the vet yesterday, who checked his temp. Slighlty raised but expected given the hot weather. He is hydrated and he had his anal glands bled slightly. She was stumped as he has not been sick. Although he did poo and wee in the house the other night which is very unlike him. Was advised to take him home and if over a few days he does not resume eating to take him back.

I have also noticed that he seems to have an itchy bum or something. As he almost seems to be spinning round trying to get his head to it. To relieve irritation? I have had a look but cannot see anything obvious in that area.

I am starting to get concerned as this really isnt like him and he must be starving. Does anyone have an idea of what may be wrong?

Many thanks and kind regards
    Check inside winston's mouth for an infected tooth or something. You should be able to smell it as well, kinda stinky metal rotten smell I agree w you doesn't sound normal

Ya he may have ear infection as well

Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your replies. Checked teeth all seems fine. Gums look ok.

How would i know if he had ear infection just by looking or would vet need to look inside the ears?

Cheers
    Big Winston

Going solely by past behavior of brosco, only one thing that ever affected his appetite was an ear infection. If you don't have access to vet right away, carefully look in winstons. Ear. Gently clean it out and look at what is on the cloth... Any strange smell will tell you something is off. Inner ear infection only look with a strong light, I wouldn't poke or dig for anything... Do you have a doc or nurse friend to take a look for you? Good luck

15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

If he is spinning round trying to get at his bum, something is going on there. Does he have a deep tail pocket? What type of tail does he have? Is it a screw?
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads